Questions re the new questionaire at Jomtien immigration.

giddyup

Surprise on a couple of fronts this morning. Told the girl at the counter I was there for both 90 day and re-entry permit. Other people around me were given the questionnaire to fill in and get the photos but I was just given a ticket for the re-entry first and told to come see her when finished. This took 5 minutes and then back to see the girl and was given the 90 day ticket but no form and was then out of there in 20 minutes. What an experience.

I saw people around me with the form waiting for 90 day and it seems to me that if one was to just leave the blank form on the empty seat then I would imagine there would be no problem. Just saying.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprise on a couple of fronts this morning. Told the girl at the counter I was there for both 90 day and re-entry permit. Other people around me were given the questionnaire to fill in and get the photos but I was just given a ticket for the re-entry first and told to come see her when finished. This took 5 minutes and then back to see the girl and was given the 90 day ticket but no form and was then out of there in 20 minutes. What an experience.

I saw people around me with the form waiting for 90 day and it seems to me that if one was to just leave the blank form on the empty seat then I would imagine there would be no problem. Just saying.

I would imagine eventually the info on the form will be entered against your name on a computer data base. It will soon become obvious who has filled in forms and who hasn't. Those who haven't may warrant investigation because it will be assumed they have something to hide. Just saying.

Did my retirement extension on Wednesday. Was given the form to bring at the next 90 reporting. No note was made that I was handed this form. Next day picked up my passport and applied for the reentry permit. Both days in and out in 10 minutes.

Sent from my Vi10Pro using Tapatalk

Did my retirement extension on Wednesday. Was given the form to bring at the next 90 reporting. No note was made that I was handed this form. Next day picked up my passport and applied for the reentry permit. Both days in and out in 10 minutes.

Sent from my Vi10Pro using Tapatalk

No, but they will know if you have been given one or not when the info is entered into a computer, or at least if you have completed the form or not. I imagine that the immigration officers who do the 90 day check will get a red flag against those who haven't completed the form. At least that's how it would work in a well organized bureaucracy.

I don't know anything about what access they have to bank information, however, if they decided to do a thorough investigation I do believe they could find out what bank accounts you have in Thailand rather quickly. Maybe in 15 and a half minutes.biggrin.png

----Much less. If you die it's the first thing they look for. It's considered free money.

I don't know anything about what access they have to bank information, however, if they decided to do a thorough investigation I do believe they could find out what bank accounts you have in Thailand rather quickly. Maybe in 15 and a half minutes.biggrin.png

----Much less. If you die it's the first thing they look for. It's considered free money.

How is it "free money"? You think the police can just plunder your bank accounts the minute you die? I'm sure wife, next of kin etc wouldn't be too happy about that.

What's all the fuss about? I've just filled in the form and most of the information they already have. The only confidential item is my bank account details which they have anyway as i use it to do my 800k return. If they want to know the name of my dead parents no problem. I don't use Facebook or Twitter.

Pretty much the same situation with me. I will be doing the extension financial qualification via the income method, so I won't have a Thai Bank and I sure won't be giving them any of my account information in America. I don't use Facebook or Twitter or anything else like that. Parent's names I don't plan to give because many institutions use that information as security questions so I never give that out in the hopes of minimizing ID or other types of theft. We shall see how this stuff all plays out in the next year or so

What's all the fuss about? I've just filled in the form and most of the information they already have. The only confidential item is my bank account details which they have anyway as i use it to do my 800k return. If they want to know the name of my dead parents no problem. I don't use Facebook or Twitter.

Pretty much the same situation with me. I will be doing the extension financial qualification via the income method, so I won't have a Thai Bank and I sure won't be giving them any of my account information in America. I don't use Facebook or Twitter or anything else like that. Parent's names I don't plan to give because many institutions use that information as security questions so I never give that out in the hopes of minimizing ID or other types of theft. We shall see how this stuff all plays out in the next year or so

I know procedures do change all the time, but when I got my first retirement extension in 2010 using the income method, opening a bank account (minimum was 5000 baht to open) and a bank letter from the bank was part of the requirements for the first extension. They didn't need to see any info of my bank account for subsequent extensions.

Off topic slightly................just done my 90 day report online for the first time.....all went smoothly.......submitted report Friday pm and was approved Monday pm........printed next reporting slip for October 8th...........saved me an hour round trip and no questionaire to fill in.............

Only slight drawback.......you need to use internet explorer to make the report...........

I know procedures do change all the time, but when I got my first retirement extension in 2010 using the income method, opening a bank account (minimum was 5000 baht to open) and a bank letter from the bank was part of the requirements for the first extension. They didn't need to see any info of my bank account for subsequent extensions.

Really interesting. They actually required you to have a Thai Bank account to do the first extension? Now I wouldn't particularly mind having a local bank and putting some money in there. That can come in handy when spending a lot of time in a foreign place. I wouldn't put anything substantial in there so I guess giving that account number wouldn't be a big risk or issue. There just wouldn't be much at stake. But if I were using a Thai bank for direct deposits or wire transfers, gosh no. Giving out that bank account is just a horrible idea. I do understand some immigration places are interested in seeing and have demanded seeing some monthly monies arriving in country to some Thai institution, so they may force that upon people. Just nothing I like. Oh well, time will tell. I suspect I will end up just a long term holiday stayer of about 6 months of the year. Hopefully the visa options won't stifle that.

Renewed retirement visa this morning, no sign of the questionnaire form but they do now ask for a marriage certificate if you present a house book with wife shown as householder in it as proof of residence.

In and out in under ten minutes

I did 90 day check in two days ago, and fool that I am, had form all filled in. She barely glanced at form, stuck it to the side. Under places I frequent I listed Jomtien beach, Topps, Family Mart.... I do wonder if in the future if they will ask for it again, and what their response will be when I say "I turned it in last time"?

I did 90 day check in two days ago, and fool that I am, had form all filled in. She barely glanced at form, stuck it to the side. Under places I frequent I listed Jomtien beach, Topps, Family Mart.... I do wonder if in the future if they will ask for it again, and what their response will be when I say "I turned it in last time"?

Anyone know if it still going on in Bangkok ?

Seams like Jomtien has fizzled out over this form, thumbsup.gif

Really interesting. They actually required you to have a Thai Bank account to do the first extension? Now I wouldn't particularly mind having a local bank and putting some money in there. That can come in handy when spending a lot of time in a foreign place. I wouldn't put anything substantial in there so I guess giving that account number wouldn't be a big risk or issue. There just wouldn't be much at stake. But if I were using a Thai bank for direct deposits or wire transfers, gosh no. Giving out that bank account is just a horrible idea. I do understand some immigration places are interested in seeing and have demanded seeing some monthly monies arriving in country to some Thai institution, so they may force that upon people. Just nothing I like. Oh well, time will tell. I suspect I will end up just a long term holiday stayer of about 6 months of the year. Hopefully the visa options won't stifle that.

Your concerns regarding immigration knowing your bank account number border on paranoia IMO.

I use my account for my living costs in Thailand - that's it. I wire money to it and get better rates than using my ATM cards. I got my first Thai bank account because of the requirement to have one for a retirement extension. They did me a favour as I find it very useful.

Your concerns regarding immigration knowing your bank account number border on paranoia IMO.

I use my account for my living costs in Thailand - that's it. I wire money to it and get better rates than using my ATM cards. I got my first Thai bank account because of the requirement to have one for a retirement extension. They did me a favour as I find it very useful.

What's the alternative if you don't have a Thai bank account? To regularly draw your living expenses via an ATM? That could work out expensive.

What's the alternative if you don't have a Thai bank account? To regularly draw your living expenses via an ATM? That could work out expensive.

In the pre-ATM fee days (2009?) I used to do it that way. I lived here for 4 years before I opened my first account.

In the pre-ATM fee days (2009?) I used to do it that way. I lived here for 4 years before I opened my first account.

Didn't realize there was ever a time when there were no ATM fees for overseas withdrawals.

Didn't realize there was ever a time when there were no ATM fees for overseas withdrawals.

Those were the days. I think they started in 2009 at 150/180 baht (depending on card). AEON stayed free for quite a few years after that. I used to be able to grab 40k free (one grab) from the AEON ATM's at Tesco North.

I did my 90 day reporting this morning about 9:45 and the place was packed as I expected after a 3-day holiday. It took me about an hour. I had brought my completed information form with me, but they were only interested in my passport.