mango bark graft advice?

a month ago i did some bark grafts on mango trees which i wanted to change cultivars

most grafts took, with the majority having buds pushing though and some developing leaves.

a week ago, when i took off the grafting tape on some, within a few days, the scions showed signs of drying out and leaves drooping. this happened without fail for every scion i unwrapped

but if i don't unwrap them, the leaves developing are unable to push through the grafting tape and open. if too many days pass by, they would just dry up within the grafting tape.( this happened with some scions which developed leaves about 10 days after grafting and i left the grafting tape on as i wasn't sure what to do)

so if you have done mango bark grafts with success, i would much appreciate your advice.(i still have some scions which i have not unwrapped but leaves are devoloping/ buds pushing through)

thanks

I've never done it myself with mangoes but I have watched youtube videos where they use a box cutter to gently put a slit in the tape to allow the new leaves to exit but otherwise leave the tape on. We are growing mangoes (still young) and all our grafted trees still have the tape. We also have a bunch of newly grafted trees where a local guy came in to do it for us. I'll be interested in watching what he does when the new growth starts appearing.

Edited by Iamemjay

thanks for the useful tip.

i have cut open the tape for another scion to allow the main developing shoot to come out. then i tried to reseal the surrounding area with clipwrap as best as i could.

i also noticed more ants around the new leaves. dont know whether they are interested in the leaves or the sap but i put in some insecticide for good measure.

now to wait a few more days see how it goes.

You need parafilm grafting tape which is soft and stretchable. It's for sale on ebay, the buds can easy break through that parafilm and you don't have to remove it at all. It will drop after some weeks/months.

It's better to do a cleft graft though, i have more success with those.