Need Advice: What to Bring to Bangkok from US?

DaUke

First post, so hello Thai Visa forum! :) I'm about to embark on my first relocation outside the US, I'll be moving to Bangkok at the end of July. My new employer, based in Bangkok, will ship a 20' container for me free of charge (excluding Tax/Duties). My office is in the Central World building, so I will probably live in Sukhumvit or Sathorn. I saw some housing while there last month. Our agent said almost all places are furnished in Bangkok.

That being said, I'm not sure how truthful he was being. Is it easy or hard to find an unfurnished rental? I have nice couches and a great bed that I'd like to bring, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by bringing a bunch of big items and then have no where to put them.

Should I sell it all, or is it possible to find a nice 1 or 2 bedroom place that's unfurnished? Anything else you expert Expats would recommend bringing with me? Or tips to navigate this part of relocation?

Thanks in advance!

DaUke

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most places will be furnished. Personally I don't think it's worth bringing furniture. A few suitcases should be enough. Bringing things like dishes is also a waste of time since they are so cheap. I'd give up on the container... the duties and delays will just be a headache you don't need to deal with on a new job.

Edited by bubba1

How long will you be here? Unless moving permanently I wouldn't bother bringing anything big.

I would see if your employer will pay an equivalent cost for storage back home, far less hassle than importing your stuff.

When we moved here 12 years ago (is it really that long) we brought just the basics, mostly clothes, although after nearly 20 years of globetrotting I didn't have masses of stuff anyway.

Don't bother with electrical items either unless they are dual-voltage (Thailand is 220V 50Hz).

Do however stock up on underwear and shoes if you are even slightly on the 'larger' size.

By all means, delay shipping household goods until you have more certainty about the employment. As another suggested. your employer should be willing to pay several months storage.

Many well furnished apt/condo units available in many price levels. You should live/work here for at least a year before making a major commitment.

Another thing to consider, many western furniture items such as plush fabric sofas, armchairs and rugs do not do especially well in the perpetually humid climate here.

Good quality business clothing, genuine cotton dress and casual shirts, slacks and underwear are expensive and often mislabeled here so do bring a adaquate supply.

A good mattress is very hard to find in BKK, if you like midget furniture maybe you'll like what they offer. Most furniture isn't comfortable but you can always buy a lazyboy couch or recliner.

You'll be living like a dove in a birdhouse so don't need to bring much. Maybe bring many good shoes if you have size 11+ or other good clothes for very hot weather (big sizes). Many forummembers don't fit in thai underwear so maybe you'll have the same problem.

Central World has it all and beyond, you can work/eat/shop/relax there as much as you like.

Better try to get the money for shipping that container and buy everything new in BKK. They do sell Auping beds if you like quality or have a look in IkEA for a soft bed.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! To answer Crossy's question, I expect to live in BKK for many years. I don't think I want to store anything in the US, even for a temporary period. I want to embrace a minimalist life, but there are a handful of things I'll have to ship over, just too large or too much to bring on the plane.

Interesting to hear about cotton goods, underwear, a bed and pots/pans. Getting a bed was high on my list. I love what I currently have (Leesa Mattress), but it's a queen size. From what I saw, most apartments in BKK have king mattresses, but they are different than US sizes. Thinking about bringing a Cal King, since it's the same width, but 6" longer. I assume I'd probably have to bring a basic bed frame to put it on due to the extra length, but I'm 6'1", so it'd be a nice creature comfort to have.

If I bring beer/wine into the country on the container, it will get taxed at the port, correct? If so, how steep is that tax?

I did the move from Canada to Pakistan and then Canada to here. What I learned to bring was stuff that reminded me of home. Nick Nacks and any collectibles of stuff that you like to have at home.

For me it was hockey sticks and stuff. Unfortunately I did not move here directly so did not get the chance to bring them. Also any paperwork that you have.

As to booze yes you will be taxed. If you have a brand of coffee that you like I would suggest bringing it. I do miss a good coffee in the morning.

I'm from California and have lived in Thailand for close to 13 years. I sold my California 4 bedroom home, then employed a full service moving & storage company, storing almost everything. Big mistake! I stored expensive furniture & personal property at a good rate of $120-$165 per month over an 11 year period, however, I wound up walking away from everything except the sentimental photographs, etc. I spent somewhere between $15,000-$20,000 for moving & long-term storage services for almost nothing.

I will vote against storage. Just sell, gift & donate your bulk. However, if you do wind up going with long term storage, I strongly advise you DO NOT mention to anyone at the storage company anything about your leaving town or your intent of remaining away for an extended period of time. Such information can allow short(er) term employees to rip off selected belongings of yours without fearing accountability. I learned this through experience.

Now, the Home Pro chain here, Thailand's much smaller version of our Home Depot are a retailer of high-end beds/mattresses, so guaranteed no problem obtaining a very comfortable bed/mattress here.

I suggest you bring 100% cotton underwear, shirts & pants. Good quality socks containing at least 50% cotton, good quality leather belts, and extra pairs of walking, running & dress shoes. High quality comfortable walking sandals for rainy days. Trying to locate these items here is damn tough. Don't ever forget, Thailand Is A Third World Country.

I suggest you shop around at Costco before packing your bags. Good quality razor blades would be at the top of my shopping list. They are more expensive here, so over the long term you will save on that item. Otherwise, maybe a couple bottles of Famous Dave's Original Barberque Sauce - guaranteed to come in handy. Good luck in achieving your goals, easily, happily & safely!

Socks, underwear and NoDoz. That would be my entire list knowing what I do after 15 years in Asia, 5 of them in Thailand.

If you have a set of golf clubs or fishing rods or scuba gear you love, bring those, too.

Ditch everything else because you'll end up spending more money on storage than you'll save replacing the small subset of goodies that still have value to you when you return. Unless you spend out the wazoo for climate controlled storage (or you're in the desert Southwest), mold and mildew will take its toll on everything that isn't sealed. Entropy will screw up even more.

And when you get here, you'll see so much cool stuff you've never seen before (junk really) you won't have room for the old and the new.

Give it away, donate it for tax deductions, put it out on the street with a "For Steal" sign on it, EBay it, or use Craigslist.

Some things have changed a lot. I used to bring underwear and socks. I also would char maybe 20 kilos of London Broil, foil wrap it, freeze it, plastic wrap and enjoy at my leisure. Would get here without thawing out but that will not happen with a container. You may wish to move a couple of times in BKK before you settle on one spot. Big items are a pain in the arse. I am going to the USA next week and I will bring back socks and underwear and Bombay Sapphire Gin from duty free. Also a giant bottle or two of CVS pain relief meds plus some jumbo size aspirin bottles. Also a new Pacemaker. Good luck to you

When in Rome be like a Roman. Go native on the furniture. Purchase a mattress in country if required.

As others have said bring extra of everything clothing wise. Fit/style/quality/price/selection is different in Thailand than in the US. You will likely visit home annually anyway that will be you opportunity to restock.

Bring in quantity any health care items you prefer and use frequently: prescriptions, otc medicines (Pepto), otc personal (contact solution) and a whole bunch of condoms (LOL).

SL

Top sheets. All the sets I see here are fitted bottom, 2 pillow cases and 2 bolster cases. Not kidding.

Electric can opener, coffee grinder, possibly latte machine if you have one. Easy to get step down transformer. Stuff way over priced if you can find at all.

A spare computer...

Case of Dr Pepper

Top sheets. All the sets I see here are fitted bottom, 2 pillow cases and 2 bolster cases. Not kidding.

Electric can opener, coffee grinder, possibly latte machine if you have one. Easy to get step down transformer. Stuff way over priced if you can find at all.

Careful with the step-down transformer with motor driven appliances. You can step the 220 down to 110, but it's a lot more expensive to change 50 Hz to 60 Hz. Many motors don't run right if the frequency doesn't match up.

And a lot of times, the transformer can cost more then the appliance.

Top sheets? One more thing to keep clean. I use a terry cloth blanket instead, cotton.

Dont bring anything and especially in a container. You said employer will ship and you have to pay taxes and duty correct? That means you will pay over the amount you paid for each item you bring. Making it extremely expensive. Everything you have there can be bought here in some form. An especially in BKK. Come here get settled in and anything you cant find here that you must have get when you return home on vacation. Contrary to what one poster said, this is NOT a third world country.

The underwear at Uniglo is as good as you'll get anywhere. Socks, I've yet to source satisfactorily.

But where can I buy a mask so I can shop at Uniglo without dying of shame?

Just kidding. Is there a brand I should be looking for through the mask?

You can use full size flat sheets as a bottom sheet on a queen bed....just knot the corners. I just bought some 300 thread count, pure cotton for less than 10 usd each at Target. I buy the wigwam quater sock packages of 6 pair for 14 usd, when I'm in the US. I used to bring the ling cotton crew that are about 7 usd per pair in the US, but they take too long to dry, and weigh too much. I may get a cast iron wok from amazon for 30 usd next time I'm home....Mother's would trade their daughters for one here...I'm not buying for trade, but just sayin'.

You can use full size flat sheets as a bottom sheet on a queen bed....just knot the corners. I just bought some 300 thread count, pure cotton for less than 10 usd each at Target.

Unless you can tell us the location of the Target in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, you're just a tease.

Get an international drivers permit from AAA. Google it. It would have turned 8 days of hell at the Thai DMV into 30 minutes of stress free business. It's the best $15 I could have ever spent. Most furnished apartments will remove what you don't want that being said I would not ship furniture. Landlord provided beds suck here but you can buy a better one despite what people say. Instead of your company shipping your stuff just ask for some relocation pay. Travel light. Don't let your possessions posses you. Sell on eBay, donate on Freecycle. I did and whittled my US possessions down to 8 Rubbermaid containers and my Harley. Most liberating feeling there is. Remember what I said about Triple A TRUST ME.

You can use full size flat sheets as a bottom sheet on a queen bed....just knot the corners. I just bought some 300 thread count, pure cotton for less than 10 usd each at Target.

Unless you can tell us the location of the Target in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, you're just a tease.

Since the subject is "bring from the US"....and it is common knowledge that there are no Targets in LOS; I didn't think it was necessary, and the pay I am receiving for giving this valuable information does not dictate that I provide special instruction to the developmentally disabled. You've heard of "No child left behind"? Well, this is "Some TVF members do get left behind."

When in Rome be like a Roman. Go native on the furniture. Purchase a mattress in country if required.

As others have said bring extra of everything clothing wise. Fit/style/quality/price/selection is different in Thailand than in the US. You will likely visit home annually anyway that will be you opportunity to restock.

Bring in quantity any health care items you prefer and use frequently: prescriptions, otc medicines (Pepto), otc personal (contact solution) and a whole bunch of condoms (LOL).

SL

Since the subject is "bring from the US"....and it is common knowledge that there are no Targets in LOS; I didn't think it was necessary, and the pay I am receiving for giving this valuable information does not dictate that I provide special instruction to the developmentally disabled. You've heard of "No child left behind"? Well, this is "Some TVF members do get left behind."

Well, if you believe that knotting flat sheets you got a great deal on in Target is valuable info for people living in, or moving to Thailand is valuable enough to type out, I guess you have me...