Loud bang, smoke forces hundreds of morning commuters running out MRT train at Sutthisan

webfact

Loud bang and smoke forces hundreds of morning commuters running out subway train at Sutthisan

mrt-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Hundreds of electric train commuters rushed out in panic after a loud bang was heard and smoke came out at one of the packed cars of the subway train after it arrived at Suthisarn station at about 8.00 am Tuesday.

The incident happend as the train from Bang Sue station was arriving at Suthisarn on the way to Hua Lampong station.

Frightening commuters then quickly rushed out of the troubled car as soon as the doors opened.

The station later turned a chaotic scene with arriving passengers running out and departing passengers waiting to board the train hesitating to board.

However the train was halted at the station immediately and security guards entering the train to check the source of smoke and the loud bang.

The Bangkok Metro Public Co Lt later at 8.30 am announced that the incident was caused by electrical short circuit at one of its car while it was arriving at Suthisarn station.

The short circuit caused a loud bank and smokes forcing passengers to go panic.

One passenger was slightly injured.

BMCL later sent another train to tow the troubled train back to its depot at Watthnatham for checks.

Another was later sent to pick up stranded passengers.

The service returned normal shortly before 9am.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/loud-bang-smokes-force-hundreds-morning-commuters-running-subway-train-suthisarn/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-05

Chinese ,or German made trains.

regards worgeordie

German.

With Thai maintenance.

coffee1.gif

I stand to be corrected but believe its Siemens who has the maintenance contract and have held this contract for many years...bloody Germans dont maintain anything properly

I worry a lot about an actual terrorist attack on the MRT. Let's face it, that is a very soft target.

The security staff are so lazy and complacent there is little chance they will ever spot an actual threat or be able to prevent any threat that is being undertaken with any level of force.

I really hope I am wrong but it just seems like a matter of when not if.

I hope they start to take security more serious before an attack happens rather than after an attack happens but I think we all know the answer to that.

regards worgeordie

Good question. Is this the newly opened line? if so they may still be getting the "bugs" out of it. German equals quality China equals quantity.

Not really a good question...the Chinese have nothing to do with this unless China has bought Siemens in recent times...the Chinese remark was a feeble attempt at starting a racist bash against the Chinese

I worry a lot about an actual terrorist attack on the MRT. Let's face it, that is a very soft target.

The security staff are so lazy and complacent there is little chance they will ever spot an actual threat or be able to prevent any threat that is being undertaken with any level of force.

I hope they start to take security more serious before an attack happens rather than after an attack happens but I think we all know the answer to that.

I am not saying that security should not search every passengers bags and suitcases, but if they did, the whole system would soon be at

a standstill with queues out on to the pavement.

Then it will be a skytrain near a place where many westerners go....I would think of pattaya and to be more precise a western oriented nightclub there which is crowded.

Then it will be a skytrain near a place where many westerners go....I would think of pattaya and to be more precise a western oriented nightclub there which is crowded.

Then it will be a skytrain near a place where many westerners go....I would think of pattaya

Skytrain and Pattaya in the same sentence. That's stretch................

regards worgeordie

Good question. Is this the newly opened line? if so they may still be getting the "bugs" out of it. German equals quality China equals quantity.

Not really a good question...the Chinese have nothing to do with this unless China has bought Siemens in recent times...the Chinese remark was a feeble attempt at starting a racist bash against the Chinese

And are you saying the Chinese do not make fake Siemens parts???

regards worgeordie

And are you saying the Chinese do not make fake Siemens parts???

Maybe they do, maybe they dont, but its irrelavant in this case as i understand the maintenance contract for the MRT was awarded to Siemens for a period of 16 years, so why would Siemens buy fake Siemens parts ?

So as stated the Chinese have nothing to do with this thread, so struggling with the fixation people have of trying to get the Chinese involved

Edited by Bunnychow

regards worgeordie

Good question. Is this the newly opened line?

No, it happened on the original section of the Blue Line that runs from Bang Sue Jct down through Suthisan and on to Hua Lampong.

Yes, as someone has pointed out, the maintenance is carried out under Siemen's contract by local Thai's, which is where some problems can arise. Generally Thai rail workers do a good job but sometimes . . . . ! No involvement by the Chinese so far except for the supply of some extra carriages a few years ago.

But the real problem I see with the MRT & BTS is the very lax security.

Due to the volume of passengers, the lack of security personnel & the pressure to facilitate the flow thereof, they never properly search passengers baggage. However if they were allowed to do their job properly there would be 'hue & cry' as delays would be inevitable. So there has to be a balance, but one day terrorist groups will take advantage of it & strike. Both systems are wide open to attack & I will include the airport line in this as well. The SRT is a lost cause as regards security & I won't even go there, though personally I use local trains a lot, but more from a personal interest point of view as it is no quick form of travel in anyone's terms.

It is sad to say as all three Standard Gauge (as distinct from the metre gauge SRT) systems are vital to the economy & movement of people in Bangkok. Without them, travelling around this city would be a nightmare. It is still bad, but oh dear, it could be a lot worse.