Kuala Lumpur KLIA2 direct turnaround to BKK

DUS

Hi,

I am sure I saw a relevant thread on this topic before but I failed to locate it. So please allow me to ask the following question:

I will need a quick out / in run in the middle of August to get a new entry stamp (I am currently on a METV). I looked into AirAsia flights from DMK to KUL and wanted to cross check with you guys that 3 hrs between the scheduled arrival and departure times will be more than enough to do a direct turnaround at KLIA2. I am looking at a flight arriving at 10:15 and another one departing KUL at 13:35.

Thank you!

DUS

Three hours and twenty minutes should be fine. KLIA2 is a large airport but that will be plenty of time unless you have a physical disability (that wasn't mentioned in the OP.)

Btw, the title of the thread mentions BKK but - as you wrote in the post itself - the actual airports involved are DMK and KLIA2, if flying on AirAsia.

Three hours and twenty minutes should be fine. KLIA2 is a large airport but that will be plenty of time unless you have a physical disability (that wasn't mentioned in the OP.)

Btw, the title of the thread mentions BKK but - as you wrote in the post itself - the actual airports involved are DMK and KLIA2, if flying on AirAsia.

Thank you!

Yes, wrong airport code in the title.... I always type BKK when I want to say "Bangkok" but in this context it is indeed misleading ....

At KLIA2, will I have to go through immigration and back or can I just stay airside (provided that I have the boarding pass for the return leg already on me)?

At KLIA2, will I have to go through immigration and back or can I just stay airside (provided that I have the boarding pass for the return leg already on me)?

Go through immigration or you risk being caught at DMK for not having a KUL exit stamp.

Similar q. are repeatedly asked for land borders ("turn around after the bridge").

It is not legal to do so.

Stay with your schedule.

I assume you can bear the risk to buy another one way if you miss the flight?

Does not break the bank.

Two more AirAsia flights and a couple others after 13:35h.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I am looking at a flight arriving at 10:15 and another one departing KUL at 13:35.

Oops.

Just noticed that I can not find a flight departing KUL at 13:35h.

What flight /nr. is it?

Edited by KhunBENQ

KL airport can be a bit of a bugger, they have that train thing to get from gates to terminal, I am sure that's enough time but think you definitely need the exit stamp and then come back through passport control and then on that train thing again

He is talking about Klia2 so no train.

Had to do it in 30min some weeks ago because plane was delayed. Had to move my arse quickly and did it in 25 min. So your 3h+ gives u enough time for 5 burgers at Johnny Rocket Burgers.

It should be enough unless you are unlucky and a bunch of migrant workers are flying in at the same time in which case you could end up behind a massive queue full of slow moving Indians with partial paper-work.

If you can skip Sunday/Monday/Friday you should have a better chance of getting in/out quickly.

Hi,

I am sure I saw a relevant thread on this topic before but I failed to locate it. So please allow me to ask the following question:

I will need a quick out / in run in the middle of August to get a new entry stamp (I am currently on a METV). I looked into AirAsia flights from DMK to KUL and wanted to cross check with you guys that 3 hrs between the scheduled arrival and departure times will be more than enough to do a direct turnaround at KLIA2. I am looking at a flight arriving at 10:15 and another one departing KUL at 13:35.

Thank you!

DUS

. Can't you do a visa run to the border ? Are you required to fly ?

. Can't you do a visa run to the border ? Are you required to fly ?

No, I don´t have to fly but thought this would be the easiest, quickest and potentially most comfortable way of doing a run. Isn´t that the case? As I am doing this for the first time ever, I am always happy for other suggestions.

Recently did a CNX ->KUL (KLIA2)-> CNX run . . . I had 1:45 minutes from wheels down to wheels back up. It felt tight enough though, the main delay being passport check. With a small bag, you can pretty much skip the customs line, they just want to scan big bags. By the time i reached the check in for the return flight, those self-check in machines were saying I was too late (Air Asia requires 1 hr), but they checked me in at the desk ok.

I too was curious if I could have just stayed airside and skipped all the nonsense . . certainly true you need the stamp at the land border (I was sent back at Mae Sai to get it before), but air might be different . . . if I had flown back to europe for example, i would have no stamp to show.

There are 2 AA"s running/sharing this route: AK is the original Malay branch and FD the Thai Air Asia. Sometimes their promotions only work on 1 of them.

You do not need any worry about going Klia1->2 or trains, as that old LowBudget is all nr 2 and they are very, very, extremely well used to people just coming in and out for MY just for a short transit, its nothing different as you would go from TH-via KLIA/MY-to say Indonesia or India. In fact, unless you have that special through transit (impossible for turnarounds) you cannot even escape passing MY immi there twice.

If you have never been to KL before, why not remove the stress of a tight connection? Stay a night and see the Petronas Towers. They are quite a stunning sight.

I´ve spent some time in KL before, so wasn´t too keen on staying overnight. Mind you, it´s still an idea I am toying with....

it should be but dont dally as immigration both going in and out has been really, really slow lately since they sacked half the desk jockeys there for corruption about 8 weeks ago

You are referring to klia2 sacking it's immigration staff?

3 hrs okay. 2 hrs could be a bit risky. The immigration queue at KLIA2 can take a loooooong time. Plus the first flight could be late.

Head down to the food court on the low level and pig out on Malay / Indian food.

I too was curious if I could have just stayed airside and skipped all the nonsense . . certainly true you need the stamp at the land border (I was sent back at Mae Sai to get it before), but air might be different . . . if I had flown back to europe for example, i would have no stamp to show.

The way i see it if you didnt need an entry exit stamp at Malaysian immigration then there would be no point getting on the plane, just do the turn around after Thai passport control

Excellent idea.

A now show after check-in possibly holding up the plane, being paged/searched.

Luring around the boarding area for half a day to simulate flight?

Or come back to Thai immigration after a "10 min flight"?

gigglem.gifblink.png

Silly to use polite wording.