Applying For A Residence Permit In Sweden

Hi there,

I'm a Swedish bloke who used to live in Thailand with a Thai girl who now is my wife. We had planned on going back to Sweden together when I want to complete my studies. But as things turned out I had to return earlier than expected and we didn't have time to apply and get the residence permit for my wife - the process takes up to a year.

Instead we applied and recieved a 3 month schengen visa, and hoped we could obtain the residence permit later in Sweden. Now in Sweden, just as I feared, this seems an impossible task. The rules say she must apply for the RP from Thailand and that she can't come to Sweden during the application process. Exeptions can be made only in extreme cases such as far along pregnancy or serious disease. I have no doubt she will get the RP, since she's from a well-to-do family and got all her papers in order, but I do not wish to part from her up to a year, nor does she. Now to my questions:

Is anyone aware of any loophole is this matter? Has anyone had similar experiences with any advice to share? Are there any Visa companies which can help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

"Pete"

Connections won't help in sweden.

The country is ruled by law and order.

You asked an schengen-visa, but this doesn't help because you were using this visa as a way to escape te longer way, and evryone sees it right away.

Sweden is in fact one of the most difficult countries in europe, lots of control everywhere and all the borders are fully controlled as well. Add to this that their computersysteem works perfect and the job is done. :o

Beautiful country thou. :D

Hi there,

I'm a Swedish bloke who used to live in Thailand with a Thai girl who now is my wife. We had planned on going back to Sweden together when I want to complete my studies. But as things turned out I had to return earlier than expected and we didn't have time to apply and get the residence permit for my wife - the process takes up to a year.

Instead we applied and recieved a 3 month schengen visa, and hoped we could obtain the residence permit later in Sweden. Now in Sweden, just as I feared, this seems an impossible task. The rules say she must apply for the RP from Thailand and that she can't come to Sweden during the application process. Exeptions can be made only in extreme cases such as far along pregnancy or serious disease. I have no doubt she will get the RP, since she's from a well-to-do family and got all her papers in order, but I do not wish to part from her up to a year, nor does she. Now to my questions:

Is anyone aware of any loophole is this matter? Has anyone had similar experiences with any advice to share? Are there any Visa companies which can help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

"Pete"

Unless you are a "socialbidragstagare" or living off welfare in other ways, go to the Swedish embassy and explain your situation. If everything is in order, they will give your wife an interview date probably 6 months ahead in time and a tourist visa to cover her stay until then. The interview will take place at the embassy in BKK so she will need to return to BKK for the interview.

As long as you are straight with them and explain your intentions, they will do their best to help you. However, if you lie to them and they find out, you have a struggle ahead.

Here in Norway we have something called Family reunion.

Familiegjenforening, by the UDI Foreign affairs. This can be applied for while she is in (Sweeden? ) Norway.

Check it out. our countries are very much similar in this rules I think. I hope.

If you can do that, and because youre married, then she can stay there whit you while she waiting for the answer (the recidence perimt, that allow her to work, school etc etc.. )

Good luck!

Would be nice to know how it is in Sweeden-

As a Danish bloke I can tell you we also have the same rules as in Sweden, except that in Denmark you need to deposit 50.000 Danish Kroner (appx. 300.000 Baht ) to ensure that your wife will not be a burden to the nation!

As a married man with a Thai man (IF YOU HAVE THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE!!) then you can apply for a family reunion, same as in Norway.

If you have no marriage certificate, then simply marry your wife once more in Sweden, this is legal!

And your wife will qualify for an extended visa.

You are welcome to PM me for further advice.

I am not aware of anything called 'family reunion' and I will check it up. However, I'm quite sure there's no such thing in Sweden when I've read the relevant rules and spoken to the people at the ministry. It certainly looks as if she has to return to Thailand for the interview, although I also will investigate whether it's possible to apply for the recidence permit outside of Sweden, not in Thailand but in a neighbouring country like Norway, Denmark or Finland.

On the upside though, it looks like the waiting times have come down quite a bit. At the Swedish embassy in Bkk they now recon they can book an interview in about a month's time.