"I'm Ok to drive" says Thai bus driver as he collapses on sobriety test

webfact

"I'm Ok to drive" says Thai bus driver as he collapses on sobriety test

s2aa.jpg

ANG THONG: -- A Thai bus driver who flattened several signposts asked police to do a sobriety test to prove that he was not drunk and capable of driving.

As Khwanchai Maturot attempted to walk in a straight line he fell over and officers had to virtually carry him to the station where they found an alcohol level of 283 miligrams, reported Thairath.

Khwanchai did mention that after delivering factory workers he had indulged in two bottles of Lao Khao spirits and was on his way to see his girlfriend.

He had earlier demolished several signposts on the Ang Thong bypass. A well known DJ from the local radio station called Chokchai Thongsak, 53,saw what happened and realized his Centre Radio sign was one of those knocked down. So he went to the bus that had stopped and asked the driver to come down and discuss restitution for the sign.

Khwanchai, a native of Ayuthaya, refused to come down and so police were called. The driver told officers he was perfectly capable of driving even though he was slurring his words. He managed to convince officers that a sobriety test was worthwhile but as he attempted to walk in a straight line he collapsed in a heap and was carted off to the station.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-06

On occasions, the inter-provincial buses are involved in accidents, but it is this type of bus and driver that are the main culprits in serious bus crashes.

How some of them are even allowed on the roads with 100 spotlights on the front and the windscreen covered 90% in decal artwork, is beyond me.

Its fortunate this monkey was arrested before he claimed human lives and got a 1000 baht fine.

Is this the time where I'd need to insert a "the question wasn't specific enough, hence the answer was up to subjective opinion"? God knows how many times we've asked simple straight forward questions and got an answer that was just barely scratching the vicinity of the possible answer.

But well, lock him up for running down those signs, should've run over a person instead and got off with a 1000 baht fine or whatever nonesense.

On occasions, the inter-provincial buses are involved in accidents, but it is this type of bus and driver that are the main culprits in serious bus crashes.

How some of them are even allowed on the roads with 100 spotlights on the front and the windscreen covered 90% in decal artwork, is beyond me.

Its fortunate this monkey was arrested before he claimed human lives and got a 1000 baht fine.

Should be asked to drive and park his bus at the restricted parking area of the courthouse and see if the fine is still Bt1000...

I am disappointed in the driver , 2 bottles of Leo spirit can certainly dint your reputation, what are ya a two pot screamer , we won't worry about the responsibility to the public for the safety of his vehicle or such mundane matters as duty of care being such a small matter Hic , I dare say you've done this more than once, I am disappointed in the DJ for only being concerned with his Station advertising sign , not bothering with the reason a bloody bus was all over the place knocking road signs over , I am not disappointed in the police, the officers did a fine job in supporting such a fine bus driver, even though he was legless, this result could have ended in tragedy , one hopes he now can spend more time with his girlfriend drinking more Leo Spirit as he walks ( Staggers ) everywhere and looks for employment.......................................bah.gif .

A good point Ratcatcher , decal art work, in general there should be a standard requirement for public transport and they do have these ,whether decals and fifty lights are included would probably cost us a ctn of Leo to find out , however there's the old problem of policing this entrenched practice, as we know they are still trying to come to terms with helmets for bike riders.

Having recently returned from the real world I was pleased to note that busses there were fitted with CCTV, Wifi and GPS.

Digital displays in bus stops were able to notify passengers of any delays & waiting passengers were even able to track them using their smartphones.

Drivers too were 'on cam'...

I further note they were well maintained and driven with a great deal of care.

How long before Thailand catches up?

Edited by evadgib

Ten years back my granddaughters kindergarden organized to take the kids to the aquarium under Paragon, about 10 kilometres from the school.

Big double decker bus turned up as ordered, school staff quickly noticed the driver was totally drunk.

School owner called the bus company owner and asked him to send another driver. Owner refused, but said; pay me the hire fee again then I'll send another driver.

Kinder owner called the police who eventually turned up. Their attitude: 'it's only 10 kilometres, the driver can sleep while he's waiting to take the kids back to the school'.

The arrangements was for the school owner to pay the fee when the bus arrived, luckily she had not paid and refused to do so.

On a side note:

"A well known DJ from the local radio station called Chokchai Thongsak, 53,saw what happened and realized his Centre Radio sign was one of those knocked down. So he went to the bus that had stopped and asked the driver to come down and discuss restitution for the sign."

How public spirited of him! rolleyes.gif

What isn't printed. and probably not said though undoubtedly true...

The driver knew he was OK to drive because he's been OK to drive while paralytic so many times before...

Winnie

he only said he was OK to drive, he didn't say anything about being OK to walk.

What isn't printed. and probably not said though undoubtedly true...

The driver knew he was OK to drive because he's been OK to drive while paralytic so many times before...

Winnie

he only said he was OK to drive, he didn't say anything about being OK to walk.

Of course. Driving involves sitting down, but walking gets tricky when you are legless. Of course he was fine to do a seated occupation.... (so he said) Hope he is not back on the road next week.

Having recently returned from the real world I was pleased to note that busses there were fitted with CCTV, Wifi and GPS.

Digital displays in bus stops were able to notify passengers of any delays & waiting passengers were even able to track them using their smartphones.

Drivers too were 'on cam'...

I further note they were well maintained and driven with a great deal of care.

How long before Thailand catches up?

Thai Transport Ministry: "Ummmh, what was the mddle part, again?" blink.png

the bloke drawing up my house plans arrived at the shop at 9am yesterday to ask for clarification on some points..... he absolutely stank of lao khao and had trouble walking......

.... i have no idea what shape my house will look like if the builders follow his plans....

And he'll back driving the bus tomorrow...

I've taken a bus in Thailand 3 times out of very relunctant necessity

1. The first was doing >120kmph through small villages and missing stops despite passengers yelling at him to stop
  2. The second was drinking that lao khao straight from the bottle
  3. The third had blooshot eyes and drove for 150km at 40-50kmph

Damn I hope I never have to take a fourth bus trip!

Edited by tails