Round Trip / Onward Ticket upon entry into Thailand question

I can't find a forum that my question would be best suited in, so I will just post it here.

I understand that either a round trip or an onward airline ticket is required for tourists that come to Thailand.

My Filipina wife and myself will be flying from the Philippines to Bangkok soon ... We both have US passports and will be entering Thailand without visas (30-day Visa Exempt Entry stamp upon entry).

We plan on staying for 90 days if possible (30 days with the initial Visa Exempt Entry + a 30 day extension and then a Visa Run for an addition 30 days)

My question ... Will Thai Immigrations let me into the country if my round-trip return date to the Philippines is 90 days from my arrival date? ... or are they going to only accept a return date within 30 days of my arrival (even though they know I can get at least a 30 day extension to my initial 30-day Visa Exempt Entry stamp)?

I just hate to have to change my return date back to the Philippines with the airline company since it will obviously cost me more money to change it after the tickets are purchased.

You will not get on the plane. Recently took my Thai gf to Japan. Thai have 15 day visa exempt. Little aside...they wanted to see both mine and her return ticket.

Forget the USA pp thing. Airline may and should refuse boarding without onward flight with 30 days.

In my 527 entries into Thailand, (visa exempt, tourist visa, oa visa) I have never been asked for proof of onward journey or return ticket. Likewise, I have flown into Thailand from Cambodia, Philippines and Malaysia, And never been asked for proof of return ticket etc, when boarding the plane. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Thats travelling on an Australian passport. Possibly a different case for wife travelling on Philippine passport, as maybe considered a bigger overstay risk by Thai immigration.

What if your onward travel plan is a bus to Burma, how could you possibly show that ?

• Like 1

In my 527 entries into Thailand, (visa exempt, tourist visa, oa visa) I have never been asked for proof of onward journey or return ticket. Likewise, I have flown into Thailand from Cambodia, Philippines and Malaysia, And never been asked for proof of return ticket etc, when boarding the plane. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Thats travelling on an Australian passport. Possibly a different case for wife travelling on Philippine passport, as maybe considered a bigger overstay risk by Thai immigration.

What if your onward travel plan is a bus to Burma, how could you possibly show that ?

It seem most of your entries were with a valid visa or re-entry permit. If you have those a return or onward ticket is not required.

• Like 1

It seem most of your entries were with a valid visa or re-entry permit. If you have those a return or onward ticket is not required.

A good reason for the op to get a tourist visa upfront.

"What if your onward travel plan is a bus to Burma, how could you possibly show that ?"

In that case your planning is bad, since you don't meed the official entry requirements.

"What if your onward travel plan is a bus to Burma, how could you possibly show that ?"

In that case your planning is bad, since you don't meed the official entry requirements.

It blows a big hole in the romantic notion of doing the big south east asian tour, no fixed plans etc.

Burma is not a good example. There are no buses from Thailand to Burma (it's called Myanmar nowadays). There are cross border buses linking Thailand and Laos, Thailand and Cambodia and Hat Yai with Malaysia. Also, cross border trains between Thailand and Malaysia, technically also a short link across the border to Laos from Nong Khai.

Not sure if any of these would be accepted - possibly, but it's better to have a plane ticket.

Burma is not a good example. There are no buses from Thailand to Burma (it's called Myanmar nowadays). There are cross border buses linking Thailand and Laos, Thailand and Cambodia and Hat Yai with Malaysia. Also, cross border trains between Thailand and Malaysia, technically also a short link across the border to Laos from Nong Khai.

Not sure if any of these would be accepted - possibly, but it's better to have a plane ticket.

I know its Myanmar, "Bus to Burma" had a poetic quality.

• Like 1

I was denied boarding by Lufthansa last year depite having onward travel to Laos within the 30 days. Lufthansa said I must have a return ticket within the 30 days. I pointed out that the requirement was Onward travel and not a Return ticket but Lufthansa refused to board me until I changed the date of my return ticket to within the 30 days. This cost me a great deal of money and I am still fighting the case. Lufthansa initially refused all further communication with me without explaining why, but are now reconsidering my case after i contacted the Air Passenger rights assosiation.

• Like 1

If you plan on staying 90 days you need a Visa.

My Filipina wife and I both have US passports.

I thought that we got 30 days upon arrival to Thailand (Visa Exempt Entry) + 30 more days with an extension (1900 baht) + if we did a 'Visa Run' after that, we could then get an additional 30 days = 90 days total

The truth is that Thai immigration almost never asks for an onward ticket.

it is the AIRLINE involved that more often does ask if the passenger is asked at all.

That is because the IATA rules state that if a passenger is not allowed to enter Thailand without a visa, it is the AIRLINE that is responsible to return the passenger to his or her place of origin.

But, yes, it is common to ask both passengers for a ticket, if they are asked at all.

The simple solution is to get a tourist visa, BEFORE you buy an airline ticket.

For both passengers.

If you plan on staying 90 days you need a Visa.

My Filipina wife and I both have US passports.

I thought that we got 30 days upon arrival to Thailand (Visa Exempt Entry) + 30 more days with an extension (1900 baht) + if we did a 'Visa Run' after that, we could then get an additional 30 days = 90 days total

-------------------

That may be possible.....but it depends on the immigration officer on your 2nd visa exempt entry....the one for the 90 day total.

You are assuming you can get that 2nd visa exempt entry after your 30 day extension.

That may be true, but it may be refused also.

That is why it would be better to a tourist visa with a guarenteed 60 day entry and a 30day extension at immigration to make the 90 days you want.

That would be more certain.

Play the percentages.

• Like 1

"Possibly a different case for wife travelling on Philippine passport ..."

The O/P said:

We both have US passports

I was denied boarding by Lufthansa last year depite having onward travel to Laos within the 30 days. Lufthansa said I must have a return ticket within the 30 days. I pointed out that the requirement was Onward travel and not a Return ticket but Lufthansa refused to board me until I changed the date of my return ticket to within the 30 days. This cost me a great deal of money and I am still fighting the case. Lufthansa initially refused all further communication with me without explaining why, but are now reconsidering my case after i contacted the Air Passenger rights assosiation.

• Was that air or land onward travel to Laos? I ask because i have a 1 way ticket to BKK with Eurowings (i believe part of the Lufthansa group) but i have a flight ticket from Thailand to KL within 30 days.

Edited by rogeroc

Hi,

I am entering Thailand on a visa on arrival for 15 days. But my tickets are on the 16th day early morning at 2 am. If I cross the immigration point on the 15th day but fly out on the 16 th day, will I be granted the visa on arrival or will they charge some fine? Can anybody help me with this info??

Hi,

I am entering Thailand on a visa on arrival for 15 days. But my tickets are on the 16th day early morning at 2 am. If I cross the immigration point on the 15th day but fly out on the 16 th day, will I be granted the visa on arrival or will they charge some fine? Can anybody help me with this info??

If you are from a country that qualifies for a visa on arrival they may not issue one to you unless you have a ticket out within the 15 days.

If you clear departure immigration on the 15th you would not be on an overstay.

Hi,

If you are from a country that qualifies for a visa on arrival they may not issue one to you unless you have a ticket out within the 15 days.

Visa on arrival is one month, after 16 days you would still have 14 days left.

Hi,

Visa on arrival is one month, after 16 days you would still have 14 days left.

A visa on arrival that has to be applied for on arrival and a fee of 1000 baht being paid is only for 15 days. You are confusing them with 30 day visa exempt entities.