AIS Fiber - anyone have recent experience?

nickbkk

yes, its the 50/10 powerhome

1pm results over ethernet to remove any wifi uncertainty.

Tested with the HG180 in bridge mode hooked up to an Asus AC87U

as you can see the results are still significantly lower than yours sad.png

First off a speedtest to Bangkok:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-20 at 13.25.36.png

Little surprised you are not getting a little over 50Mb and the ping time being 20ms. You said you tested using an ethernet cable but was the cable hooked to the AIS-provide router or your AC87U router. If hooked to the AC87U router maybe there is speed reduction between it and the AIS router..and some ping time being added. If you were hooked to the AIS router when doing the test maybe your building wiring is causing the problem...since you last few meters is provided by VDSL over copper building wires. But it still may be worth calling AIS to come look again, unless when initially hooking it up they showed you the speed they were getting and it was a little less than 50Mb...and said that's the best they can due to your building wiring.

When they were hooking mine up and doing the initial speed testing (but mine is fibre all the way to the AIS provider router) they only used an ethernet between the AIS provider router and their laptop. When I made a Wifi connection with my laptop while they were still setting everything up, I did a speedtest and only got a little over 48Mb but knew that was a Wifi router issue....when I showed them my results as expected they "immediately" said "must use ethernet connection...Wifi slows things down." They handed me an ethernet cable, I hooked up to the router, ran the test again, got the 50Mb plus as they did.

I just did a test to Bangkok and here's what I get with my 50/10 plan and I'm "not" hooked up via ethernet to the AIS provided router which is on the second story of my home....I'm connected via Wifi to the Asus RT-N12HP router/access point downstairs (ethernet connection between the two routers)...below are my results. My neighbor's Wifi router signals are not interferring right now...but if I had got less than 50Mb due to Wifi interference I would have made an ethernet connection and the 50Mb speed would be there.

5493022429.png

It seems like, you're in love with your new AIS fiber PIB :)

Me is.

Just so great to have access to low cost, high speed Internet. Now while I could have got a 50/5 plan with my previous ISP of True that would have cost me Bt2500/month versus the Bt888/month AIS 50/10 normal pricing. And like mentioned earlier Bt799/mo if already an AIS customer which I wasn't....but my first 3 months is 50% off at Bt444.

And today makes 3 weeks of my love affair with AIS Fibre 50/10...up time 100%.

Me happy...knock on wood ( my head ).

• Like 1

Hello PIB, I am so happy that you are in love with your new internet provider AIS, but could you please tone it down a little.

I like you, was with True DOCSIS 30 30/3 and had all the problems that everybody else has, especially in the evenings.

One day last September I had a leaflet about AIS internet and a very nice man came round and told me they were trialing it in my area.

The only service they had then was what they now call the power pro package and I signed up for the 30/10. 1200 baht per month, but, like yourself I only had to pay half for 6 months as I was an ex True customer.

Everything was brilliant, especially after True, and I found out later I was the only one in the area that had actually signed up, so wonderful.

Then in May this year I noticed their promotion for the Home Package 50/10 for 888 baht, which they assured me was perfect for me, and it was.

I basically use the internet for Kodi, and up until 3 weeks ago it was perfect, even for 1080P movies, no buffering at all. My IPTV perfect no problems at all using Dexter.

Then suddenly PIB, probably the same day that you got AIS, the problems started. Loads of buffering on everything except SD.

I know that AIS are really pushing it now and looking for new customers.

But as you know, because of the limited International highway in Thailand, the more customers they have the worse it will get.

Something you don't realise yet, is that when you are having problems their service is crap. They only have 2 (yes 2) people on their service desk that can speak English.

When you speak to them their technical knowledge is zero. Although they are very friendly. I am at the moment waiting for a phone call from Wednesday when he promised to call me back in 10 mins.

I was getting the same speed tests as you, but now my speed to London is now about 35Mbs, which should be still good enough for HD TV, but its not.

I'm not really blaming you for my recent problems. But could you please stop giving them free advertising and keep it to ourselves.

I'm sorry to write such a long and boring story, but always remember TIT.

Edited by elfpattaya
  • Like 1

I was getting the same speed tests as you, but now my speed to London is now about 35Mbs, which should be still good enough for HD TV, but its not.

I'm not really blaming you for my recent problems. But could you please stop giving them free advertising and keep it to ourselves.

OK...I'll lighten up on the speed testing results (maybe). Plus maybe all my speed testing blogged down AIS. tongue.png

But you know testing to the UK using AIS or True especially with testmy.net which is a single-thread tester frequently returns low speeds....sometimes very good...but many times slow. A single-thread tester is usually best to check out how clogged up the internet pipe is to certain locations since multi-thread testers like Speedtest.net open up many streams...up to 8 from what I've read on the Speedtest.net site.

Single-thread testers seem to be best to use when checking out how clogged the internet pipe is for certain internet uses like live video streaming which is usually a single-thread operation.

Just a few minutes ago on this Saturday night I did some speed tests to London using Testmy.net and Speedtest.net. Testmy.net gave me a mere 1.9Mb down / 1.7Mb up (remember, a single thread tester). But Speedtest.net gave me a 39.6Mb down / 10.9Mb up on this Saturday (remember a multi-thread tester). Ping times were correct...no faster than light ping time. I expect if I had did a VPN connection to the UK and reran the Testmy.net test the connection would have speeded up a lot based on my past tests to the UK via non-VPN and VPN. The VPN connection would have somehow got around the clog for a single-thread connection.

And of all the Testmy.net testing I've done to all 12 of their available test locations, London is the only one that is slow sometimes. Maybe getting across the English Channel is hard to do or the Europeans slowing down internet electrons flowing to the UK across Europe after the Brexit vote is the problem. Don't know.

An update to my Kodi problems.

An engineer called me back this evening, 3 days later.

Found a problem with the server, and corrected it.

But he wanted to investigate further, so he put it back to buffering problem. Said he would call back, that was 2 hours ago, still waiting.

He also spoke very little English, so had to deal with the wife, who is not technical. I am now using Kodi via vpn (Singapore), works perfectly.

This fault is now 2 weeks old. Pray you don't have a problem.

Hello PIB, I am so happy that you are in love with your new internet provider AIS, but could you please tone it down a little.

I like you, was with True DOCSIS 30 30/3 and had all the problems that everybody else has, especially in the evenings.

One day last September I had a leaflet about AIS internet and a very nice man came round and told me they were trialing it in my area.

The only service they had then was what they now call the power pro package and I signed up for the 30/10. 1200 baht per month, but, like yourself I only had to pay half for 6 months as I was an ex True customer.

Everything was brilliant, especially after True, and I found out later I was the only one in the area that had actually signed up, so wonderful.

Then in May this year I noticed their promotion for the Home Package 50/10 for 888 baht, which they assured me was perfect for me, and it was.

I basically use the internet for Kodi, and up until 3 weeks ago it was perfect, even for 1080P movies, no buffering at all. My IPTV perfect no problems at all using Dexter.

Then suddenly PIB, probably the same day that you got AIS, the problems started. Loads of buffering on everything except SD.

I know that AIS are really pushing it now and looking for new customers.

But as you know, because of the limited International highway in Thailand, the more customers they have the worse it will get.

Something you don't realise yet, is that when you are having problems their service is crap. They only have 2 (yes 2) people on their service desk that can speak English.

When you speak to them their technical knowledge is zero. Although they are very friendly. I am at the moment waiting for a phone call from Wednesday when he promised to call me back in 10 mins.

Pm IP of this Kodi server. Or tell me what ISP it is on.

An update to my Kodi problems.

An engineer called me back this evening, 3 days later.

Found a problem with the server, and corrected it.

But he wanted to investigate further, so he put it back to buffering problem. Said he would call back, that was 2 hours ago, still waiting.

He also spoke very little English, so had to deal with the wife, who is not technical. I am now using Kodi via vpn (Singapore), works perfectly.

This fault is now 2 weeks old. Pray you don't have a problem.

I don't understand. Is there something I've missed? Kodi is an AIS service? I thought Kodi is just something you run yourself (server and client). And if it it then how can AIS find a problem with your server heh. Please explain

Can someone pm me or post some ip that's on AIS PowerHome (Not PowerPro). I want to compare the routing. You don't have to post the full ip. Just like 1.3.3.X smile.png

I of course mean the public ip and not the one behind NAT.

49.228.226.xx

Kodi is independent and can be run on TOT, True, 3BB and AIS, You need the internet to run Kodi.

I use Real-Debrid with Kodi and there was a problem between the AIS server and France (Real-Debrid is a French company). He fixed the fault, everything perfect again, and then for some unknown reason he put the fault back on so he could investigate further.

The engineer just called me back, the wife is out, so language problems, apologised profusely and said he would ring me back Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by elfpattaya

Durn, an AIS engineer calling you this late on a Saturday night. That's good. It's good whenever you can get any Thai to call you back when they know it's problem related.

The one AIS tech support guy I talked to around two weeks ago for some "curiosity" questions regarding the AIS TV Playbox and a couple of internet IP questions, called me back within one hour of the initial AIS general support person (non-technical) taking my call and saying she would have a tech support person call me. I called around 3pm on a weekday. I thought to myself, yea right, don't hold my breath on a return call...but tech support did promptly call me back. And the Tech Support guy spoke English so well it was only about 1 minute into the conversation that I picked up enough of the Thai accent/use of words to know he was Thai. He answered all my curiosity questions.

Further update. Apparently he temporarily disconnected another customers connection and that worked perfectly. But when he reconnected to my route the problem came back.

You are right PIB, it was good of him call back on a Saturday night, and it is probably my ignorance that I cannot speak Thai after living here for 15 years.

Kodi is independent and can be run on TOT, True, 3BB and AIS, You need the internet to run Kodi.

I use Real-Debrid with Kodi and there was a problem between the AIS server and France (Real-Debrid is a French company). He fixed the fault, everything perfect again, and then for some unknown reason he put the fault back on so he could investigate further.

The engineer just called me back, the wife is out, so language problems, apologised profusely and said he would ring me back Monday or Tuesday.

As I thought then. And you mean the AIS router not "ais server". All this "server" speak made me confused.

Here is a file so you can speedtest real-debrid, http://d4.rdeb.io/speedtest/test.rar

And indeed there is a problem. Only getting 1Mbit/s.

But I know the problem. I've noticed it a few days ago. Traffic from Core-Backnone (used by real-debrid) is going through Airtel India to AIS. It's because of a configuration problem at Airtel. Not AIS.

I've informed Core-Backbone and AIS Engineers about it.

Having a relapse...must provide some speed test results. Results below run at around 9am this morning with my AIS Fibre 50/10 Home plan. Had the plan for 25 days now....100% uptime. Your results may (will) vary. I feel better now...relapse over.

Bangkok to Bangkok

5503776339.png

Bangkok to Singapore

5503779954.png

Bangkok to Los Angeles

5503783518.png

Bangkok to Frankfurt

5503798855.png

Bangkok to London

5503790108.png

I've now had AIS Fibre 50/10 for one month...originally installed 1 July.   100% up-time...speeds continue like all the my previous speedtest.net and testmy.net results I've put in this thread.   One other person on my soi got AIS 50/10 last week...didn't affect my speed at all (not that I thought it would).  Yeap, AIS Fibre 50/10 has been all good so far.

21 minutes ago, Pib said:

I've now had AIS Fibre 50/10 for one month...originally installed 1 July.   100% up-time...speeds continue like all the my previous speedtest.net and testmy.net results I've put in this thread.   One other person on my soi got AIS 50/10 last week...didn't affect my speed at all (not that I thought it would).  Yeap, AIS Fibre 50/10 has been all good so far.

IPV6 was down for everyone about 10 hours yesterday however ;) But I guess people hardly notices hehe.

On 7/26/2016 at 9:17 AM, Pib said:

Having a relapse...must provide some speed test results. Results below run at around 9am this morning with my AIS Fibre 50/10 Home plan. Had the plan for 25 days now....100% uptime. Your results may (will) vary. I feel better now...relapse over.

Bangkok to Bangkok

5503776339.png

Bangkok to Singapore

5503779954.png

Bangkok to Los Angeles

5503783518.png

Bangkok to Frankfurt

5503798855.png

Bangkok to London

5503790108.png

Pib, any particular reason you've taken to posting Ookla speed test results, when there are better/more accurate testing sources out there, such as TestMy.net???

I posted a bunch of testmy.net results also.  Keep in mind Speedtest.net is fine as a multi-thread tester as long as you are not getting faster than light ping times; testmy.net is better as a single thread tester.

For those with the AIS Fibre service who haven't detailed this yet in their thread:

which plan (speed, home, pro)

what is the make/model of your router

how is the WiFI performance

did AIS give you the router username and PW and are you able to modify settings

what DNS settings are you using: AIS, other

has anyone bridged a second router

how is the TV box connected to the router

were you happy with the installation process

any issues with billing

satisfied with any CS interactions

Here's a couple of Testmy.net results to Singapore, London and San Francisco done at around 9:20pm Bangkok time on this fine Tuesday night using my AIS Fibre 50/10 plan.

Bangkok to Singapore

UCfku14Oj.CUyxqS4oi.png

Bangkok to London

SlouM5wTh.YGWzhyDEr.png

Bangkok to San Francisco

pwS41muok.zkGavFedK.png

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...

Testmy.net tests run at around 8:30pm...a peak internet usage time in Thailand with my AIS 50/10 plan that I've had for about 6 weeks now.  Uptime 100%

Bangkok to Singapore

I8oCJvep9.UNEtjQzl9.png

Bangkok to London

G29qoTBau.kT6Bo87jp.png

Bangkok to San Francisco

Qc4RDsKmh.ubkSXFf6s.png

:whistling:

5545878226.png

5545882443.png

5545887000.png

I literally could not be happier ;)

Best part is, never found any experience of bandwidth throttling, I used 3BB 100Mbps Fiber, before this, and if you used more than 50% of that between 18:00 - 00:00, they would clamp you down to about 25Mbps...

I've got the white ZTE modem, though I disabled the WiFi and use my trusty Asus router instead

20 minutes ago, eTiMaGo said:

:whistling:

5545878226.png

5545882443.png

5545887000.png

I literally could not be happier ;)

Best part is, never found any experience of bandwidth throttling, I used 3BB 100Mbps Fiber, before this, and if you used more than 50% of that between 18:00 - 00:00, they would clamp you down to about 25Mbps...

I've got the white ZTE modem, though I disabled the WiFi and use my trusty Asus router instead

Those ping times look roughly correct for the server destinations involved.

But, I don't think I've ever seen those kinds of speeds posts (so fast) for international speed tests to the U.S. and Singapore.

Can't explain why... But color me skeptical.