AIS Fiber - anyone have recent experience?

nickbkk

Old thread but seeing as it's about AIS fibre, rather than start another.......

I have the Power Home Premium package at the moment which is 50/20 plus includes the Platinum TV for 1,299 pm (and the new Playbox).  I am in a position where one of the services I use needs port forwarding, PROPER port forwarding which entails having a public ipv4 address, not the CGNAT DDNS work around that might work for some other services and that is the only option if you have the Power Home packages.  The only fibre package with a public ipv4 is the Power Pro but there seems to be no Premium version with the Platinum TV.  I've mailed AIS, see what they can do.

The Platinum TV is OK but I don't use it quite as much as I might as the programme guide is absolutely awful and not even close to the guide that True have.  Few years back I had True with the PVR box and that had live pause, something I also miss from the Playbox.  I'm not sure how AIS stand on upgrades package wise, whether it can be faster or more expensive (in which case I could change to Power Pro and lose the Platinum TV) or whether it has to be faster AND more expensive.  Problem for me with the TV channels is other than the news there's not much I watch.  All the movies I've seen before so it's only been Sky News and HBO Go that gets used.  Given that HBO Go is also available on the cheaper phone AIS Play app, for the amount I use it, I could opt for that and 'cast' to the TV when I need to (the Shield has Google Cast built in) plus get the added benefit of having the AIS TV if we're away via the phone.  No Sky News on the phone app though. I'll likely end up keeping the Playbox package though, if only for Sky News (who seem to be closing down their live streams in many countries), it's most recent re-appearence YouTube got taken down as a result of a Sky News copyright complaint.  I rarely check these days, just switch on the Playbox.

For those considering the Playbox, given that some info in this thread is dated, some customers have received an SMS from AIS Playbox saying that from 20 Nov 2017 'AIS Playbox will no longer support the installation of 3rd party apps'.  It's not clear yet exactly what that means (open to interpretation) or how they intend to implement it.  The current Playbox is also a much improved version over the original, faster and more powerful.  That will be less of a benefit if they lock from being able to load or side-load 3rd party apps though.

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

AIS becomes pretty expensive with public ipv4.

3BB is cheaper, faster alternative if you have it.

my 200/100 mbit 3bb fiber is great (perhaps first month throttle-free, we'll see?) and comes with dynamic public ipv4.

Thanks.  I had 3BB in Chiang Mai. Wouldn't go back to them TBH.  Academic anyway, no 3BB box here.  Very pleased with AIS though, speed, service and support wise, so I'd be sticking with them in any event.

• 3 weeks later...

My AIS Fibre international speeds have returned to what they use to be as of today after almost two months of not even being close to what they use to be for me..  By "use to be" I mean before late Sep 17 when my international speeds took a nose dive as to what I had been use to.  See below post for more info.   Just hope the international speed holds because it seems AIS Fibre is going through a lot of changes with their rapid growth/expansion, implementing premium IPTV, etc.  Time will tell....just hope the speed holds.

• Like 1

Hey , terrible speed outside Thailand , I am on AIS fibre in Pattaya , since April . Normal package , cheapest 630 baht .    

And the last 2 months the speed has gone down for streaming and other apps I try to load with servers based in the UK and Scandinavia. 

Tonight it's been really really bad ,  I have to complain to AIS , I am getting 100 kbps to Europe. 

On 10/27/2017 at 9:28 AM, SooKee said:

For those considering the Playbox, given that some info in this thread is dated, some customers have received an SMS from AIS Playbox saying that from 20 Nov 2017 'AIS Playbox will no longer support the installation of 3rd party apps'.  It's not clear yet exactly what that means (open to interpretation) or how they intend to implement it.  The current Playbox is also a much improved version over the original, faster and more powerful.  That will be less of a benefit if they lock from being able to load or side-load 3rd party apps though.

Just as crossfeed, as of 21 Nov 9:00am still no change for me at least...my two Playboxes will accept 3d party apps. 

Last night/20 Nov and this morning/21 Nov I even got brave and clicked the Software Update for the AIS Fibre Playbox launcher/interface and also the Android System Update Check in the Android OS Settings.  Both came back saying I had the latest versions of software.  The setting in Android Security to load 3rd party apps can still be set to off and on...I did turn it off and back on again just to confirm.   

And Mobdro, a 3rd party app I sideload a month or so ago, offered to update itself this morning which I accepted and it updated.  Not an update through Google Play (since Mobdro is not listed on Google Play) but through Mobdro's own interface....since with Android an update is really a complete overwrite of the old app the update occurred without issue...pretty much reloading the app. 

Plus last night/20 Nov I allowed Google Play to update certain apps (all apps except HooQ) I had installed via Google Play....I don't have Google Play set to Auto Update on the Playboxes because if I did it would update/overwirte the AIS HooQ app with the Google Play version not the specific AIS Fibre HooQ version which then means your AIS HooQ no longer works.  Anyway, the Google updates went fine if even Google Play apps might have been considered by AIS as 3rd party apps.

Now AIS Fibre still might be getting around to forcing/pushing an update out on a schedule (if they were even going to go the forced/pushed update route) like over x-days, x-weeks, etc., like how Windows seems to push updates to folks at different times even if a person clicks the Check for Update button wanting to get some update now vs waiting for it to just show up....but the update comes back saying nothing to update although you see on the web other folks have already go the update....then a few days later the update does come through for you.  Or maybe it's for boxes they installed starting 20 Nov.    

Or maybe AIS meant something else about no longer providing support for 3rd party apps....maybe they meant don't call AIS the for assistance if the Playbox don't work right with a certain 3rd party app....who really knows....and maybe they changed their minds even through they still have the 3rd party app note on their website as of last night....I didn't' check this morning. 

Yeap, time will tell.   Still too early to know what AIS really meant, how they plan to implement, etc.   Hope I haven't jinxed myself and a forced update comes through today---oh well, if it happens, it happens....will just be another thing a Thai ISP does that has pissed me off.   

• 3 months later...

Received this SMS from AIS this morning:

"To enhance the quality of Internet TV, 'AIS PLAYBOX' will be updated to a new version, which would not support 3rd party app installation, starting 2 March 2018".

• 2 weeks later...