no more cheap phones......

My Thai wife needs to replace her Smartphone that she uses in her business as it has become unreliable despite having had the mainboard replaced.

I can't advise her as I know nothing about all this. Please could someone offer suggestions.

She tried a Samsung Galaxy J7 with Dual SIM and discovered that it can't work with her two different providers together (TRUE, and DTAC). She needs two different providers.

Her current phone is an iMobile IQ 6.3 which works fine with Dual SIM but has an annoying habit of screen freezing and needs software re-installing frequently.

Budget- she's tried cheap and now wants reliable and doesn't care how costly.

Her requirements are

Dual SIM,

reliability

good data storage

can fit in her bag !!! - yeah I know... (say not more than 3"x7" ....70cm x 150cm)

Can anyone advise, from personal experience please?

Samsung Galaxy S7. Why the need for a dual SIM if she is only using it in Thailand?

S-7 is also dual SIM but you loose the add on storage.

How much storage do you need on a phone - use cloud and does the low end s7 have 32gb already anyway? I am replacing my wife's dual sim imoble 8.3 and have been looking at the s7 - she has proven she can make use of a better phone (and water proof) so I am treating her on her birthday - didn't buy it yet, but soon I think.

wow... a 70cm x 150cm phone... :-)

my advice is to go with a Samsung S7

I have an ASUS zenphone 2 and I am dissatisfied with the ergonomy and the software, Samsung's is far superior, even if the hardware of the ASUS is better.

Asus Zenfone 2 Laser.

Fits the criteria, about 5000 baht, decent phone.

70cm x 50cm! That's a communications system, not a mobile phone!!

My newish phone is 5 ye olde inches (127mm = 12.7cm).

Thanks for all the suggestions. My apologies for appearing to abandon this topic but my internet has been down.

LOL...70x150 should be mm....sorry!

Shopping on Sunday and will look at Asus Zenphone and Samsung S7 provided the shop can get her two SIM cards to work.

I really appreciate the advice, many thanks all.

(Dual SIM required for use in Thailand to ensure 100% coverage and for SIM card substitution when abroad.)

Edited by WogerWabbit

Samsung Galaxy S7. Why the need for a dual SIM if she is only using it in Thailand?

Yes I know but if you are just in Thailand why would you want 2 SIM cards?

Thanks for all the suggestions. My apologies for appearing to abandon this topic but my internet has been down.

Shopping on Sunday and will look at Asus Zenphone and Samsung S7 provided the shop can get her two SIM cards to work.

(Dual SIM required for use in Thailand to ensure 100% coverage and for SIM card substitution when abroad.)

Should select the SIM with the best coverage in Thailand. There are GSM sites that will give you the coverage map. Last time I looked AIS had the best coverage but that could have changed now.

If you are using the phone in another country the dual SIM is a good idea but if just for Thailand it is pointless

Should select the SIM with the best coverage in Thailand. There are GSM sites that will give you the coverage map. Last time I looked AIS had the best coverage but that could have changed now.

If you are using the phone in another country the dual SIM is a good idea but if just for Thailand it is pointless

Not pointless if you need two separate telephone numbers, which she does for her business. Also True signal is weak and unreliable close to our home, whereas Dtac is good, and the Dtac signal can fade in other parts of the province. This was originally why she used two phones before discovering Dual SIM.

Edited by WogerWabbit

people say they like their cheap phone but when they call me I can not hear them(metallic sound with wind noise) . I have a quality phone.

I don't talk a lot with them as it s just irritating.

get a good phone for Pete sake... all these cheap phones at 2k baht have bad microphone, even if you get second hand of an expensive brand, it s still much better than a new cheap phone.

Edited by returnofthailand

Some people have to have 2 numbers, one for work and one for personal etc...

If you have ais AND true you can normally get free WiFi anywhere in bkk....

ASUS Zenfone 2 and Samsung S7 is coming out of its generation age now. Meizu M3 note is the new "hotness" with better specs than zenfone 2 and samsung S7 and for nearly the same price now. It has all the new features from flagship phones of last year even with fingerprint lock security.

Get with the times old farts.

Edited by Sojuncoke

Avoid Meizu as Cyanogenmod have just laid a large number of staff off as they scale down support and development of their Android OS.

Get her to look at the Samsung A series. Really nicely made, powerful enough and significantly cheaper than the S series. It's not plastic tat like the J series either.

Agreed but the question was why do you need a dual SIM if you are only using it in one country?

Agreed but the question was why do you need a dual SIM if you are only using it in one country?

To have a business and private number in one phone not having to log two phones around.

Near where I live, there is a waterfall and a couple coffee shops that I enjoy visiting. True was my provider and had no signal there. AIS and Dtac both had signals. That was one reason I bought a dual SIM card phone. I have since transferred my True number to AIS so I really don't need dual SIM cards now. I have AIS and Dtac SIMs in my phone now. This is an area with a lot of mountains and sometimes Dtac has no signal. It appears that AIS has the best coverage.