Video: Triple pick-up smash in Rayong on Thursday

webfact

When will these idiots ever learn? None of them had a crash helmet, including that poor kid! I don't care if the adults want to play Russian roulette with their lives, but that kid! Thank goodness she's ok. At least she seemed so in the video.

When will these idiots ever learn? None of them had a crash helmet, including that poor kid! I don't care if the adults want to play Russian roulette with their lives, but that kid! Thank goodness she's ok. At least she seemed so in the video.

Horrible accident - thankfully mother with a girl look unhurted apart shocking but I am more concerned about another lady. I think she was hit twice with in a fraction of the second. Pray she will be recovered well. Safety is a question.

The lady in orange shirt holding the young girl after the accident was the solo rider in the back before the accident. I can't tell if the driver of the first motorcycle is a grown up lady or another young girl.

Horrible accident - thankfully mother with a girl look unhurted apart shocking but I am more concerned about another lady. I think she was hit twice with in a fraction of the second. Pray she will be recovered well. Safety is a question.

The lady in orange shirt holding the young girl after the accident was the solo rider in the back before the accident. I can't tell if the driver of the first motorcycle is a grown up lady or another young girl.

I think her daughter have school uniform

With the increase in car vdo cameras, these incidents are going to be documented everyday. But please don't post every single one here as it just invites the people who live in Thailand but hate Thais to vent their racial hatred.

So you think this is a Thai bashing thread ? You dont want any negative news on this forum. You Sir need to thicken your skin or if a topic is negative just avoid it.

"Police are investigating the accident."

Now THERE'S a novel idea.

The final outcome of case will of course depend on who among all of those involved have the most influencial families. (.. and cash )

And some farangs still think taking their children on their scooters is the wise choice.

Simpletons.

What can one do if one doesn't own a car, can't afford daily taxis and live too far to walk?

Any suggestions?

And some farangs still think taking their children on their scooters is the wise choice.

Simpletons.

What can one do if one doesn't own a car, can't afford daily taxis and live too far to walk?

Any suggestions?

Typical posting from what is probably a relative well-off poster who probably hasn't been out in the real world to see what / how the "peasant" Thais live and survive each day. So have another beer or two, put on an other DVD sit back enjoy yourself in your comfortable surroundings.

With the increase in car vdo cameras, these incidents are going to be documented everyday. But please don't post every single one here as it just invites the people who live in Thailand but hate Thais to vent their racial hatred.

Fair comment is just that but you see everything as Thai bashing.

What's next for you, will you be complaining to the BIB about anyone who posts a video and request they be tracked down and dealt with which seems to be the official line these days ?

It might also draw attention to common problems.

I think most people that live here don't hate it, they just moan about stuff, same as they do at home. Bet you do the same really, right?

Simpletons.

I cannot understand why the schools don't take some action against students coming to school on motorbikes. At the very least they should;

Ban them from entering the school premises with their bikes if they are not,

a) old enough to drive legally

b ) in possession of a valid driving licence

c) wearing a helmet (and their passengers too)

Also if they are

d) More than 2 on a bike

e) riding a bike without a valid insurance sticker

In addition they should report persistent offenders to the police.

A security guard on the gate could insist they park the bike in the street and walk into school. It might save some lives.

The car wasnt turning it was stationary. THAT truck caused this by not being in his own lane

RIGHT ON !! i see so many idiots doing it in TH every single day

Poor peeps on the bike, they felt "safe" waiting behind that car...

And yes i know they didnt wear a helmet, but this is common at almost EVERY school in Thailand while police and authorities let go...

They just dont care a f.... - It's the "not my family" and "mai pen rai" attitude... PM keeps the Thai people happy...

Even if the had a helmet on they would have been injured seriously ! sad.png

Simpletons.

I cannot understand why the schools don't take some action against students coming to school on motorbikes. At the very least they should;

Also if they are

d) More than 2 on a bike

A security guard on the gate could insist they park the bike in the street and walk into school. It might save some lives.

A school's job is to teach. The rest is the parent's responsibility.

Do you actually know a motorbike is the only form of transport for the majority of families? I have an idea! Let the drunken minibus drivers along with their weapons take the children!

Don't try to bring Western standards to other countries.

Simpletons.

Also if they are

d) More than 2 on a bike

Do you actually know a motorbike is the only form of transport for the majority of families? I have an idea! Let the drunken minibus drivers along with their weapons take the children!

While I would also like to see safety standards being improved in this country, it seems like neither Tuanku nor DLang lives in the same real world as you and I.

Unlike in the western world where there are established school bus routes, child tax credits, social welfare, unemloyment benefits etc etc, trying to impose western standards to 3rd world countries in Asia will create more hardship onto already poor families.

Simpletons.

Also if they are

d) More than 2 on a bike

While I would also like to see safety standards being improved in this country, it seems like neither Tuanku nor DLang lives in the same real world as you and I.

Unlike in the western world where there are established school bus routes, child tax credits, social welfare, unemloyment benefits etc etc, trying to impose western standards to 3rd world countries in Asia will create more hardship onto already poor families.

As a schoolkid I walked a couple of miles to school and back every day in a medium sized city in S.W.UK. It did me more good than harm. A couple of generations ago, school kids in Thailand used to walk similar distances, especially in rural communities. As a teacher for most of my working life, I would say yes to it being the parents responsibility, but that when that fails, as it all too often does, schools can and should take some action. The suggestions I make are to follow the law, which is primarily designed to safeguard children. A school can make a difference, some do. Are you really arguing FOR driving without helmets, FOR carrying 3 or 4 on a bike, FOR children of 12 and 13 driving on the highways, often with passengers? And a significant hardship, Gweiloman, to poor families in my neighbourhood, is organising and paying for funerals for children killed in motorbike accidents. In our community of around 600 families, it seems to happen 6 or 7 times per year. The latest one was last week.

If schools are expected to teach "12 core values", Thai culture, morals, health, then how can personal safety be outside their remit?

Simpletons.

Any suggestions?

Yes, I have some; by all means take your child to school on your scooter if you are an experienced and competent driver in Thai road conditions, but both wear helmets, restrict the number on the bike to two, and drive defensively. also make sure your accident insurance is always up to date, as in time you will probably need it.

Presumably you live in a rural area if the school is more than 3km from your home, so it is unlikely to be as dangerous as doing a school run in Rayong. If you live in a city it is unlikely that the nearest school is too far to walk.

At any Thai school, anywhere, I see multiple songthaews or similar collecting children and driving them home. admittedly it is highly dangerous, but probably a factor of 10 less so than 4-up on a motorbike with no helmets and a 15 year-old in charge.

Your place of living, your financial situation, the number of children you have, and how you look after them, reflect a series of life choices you have made. Your children did not make those choices but their lives are also governed by them. All any parent can do is the best for their children within the boundaries that exist for them. Willfully endangering their lives by carrying them unprotected on an unsuitable means of transport is NOT doing the best for your children.

As a schoolkid I walked a couple of miles to school and back every day in a medium sized city in S.W.UK. It did me more good than harm. A couple of generations ago, school kids in Thailand used to walk similar distances, especially in rural communities. As a teacher for most of my working life, I would say yes to it being the parents responsibility, but that when that fails, as it all too often does, schools can and should take some action. The suggestions I make are to follow the law, which is primarily designed to safeguard children. A school can make a difference, some do. Are you really arguing FOR driving without helmets, FOR carrying 3 or 4 on a bike, FOR children of 12 and 13 driving on the highways, often with passengers? And a significant hardship, Gweiloman, to poor families in my neighbourhood, is organising and paying for funerals for children killed in motorbike accidents. In our community of around 600 families, it seems to happen 6 or 7 times per year. The latest one was last week.

If schools are expected to teach "12 core values", Thai culture, morals, health, then how can personal safety be outside their remit?

I too, used to walk to school when I was a schoolkid, even though it definitely felt more like a couple of miles.

The issue here in Thailand (similar to most of Asia) is that climactic conditions are not that conducive to walking long distances. Furthermore, you can't expect a young child of say 6-8 years old to walk that sort of distance, either alone or with an adult.

Simpletons.

Any suggestions?

Yes, I have some; by all means take your child to school on your scooter if you are an experienced and competent driver in Thai road conditions, but both wear helmets, restrict the number on the bike to two, and drive defensively. also make sure your accident insurance is always up to date, as in time you will probably need it.

Presumably you live in a rural area if the school is more than 3km from your home, so it is unlikely to be as dangerous as doing a school run in Rayong. If you live in a city it is unlikely that the nearest school is too far to walk.

At any Thai school, anywhere, I see multiple songthaews or similar collecting children and driving them home. admittedly it is highly dangerous, but probably a factor of 10 less so than 4-up on a motorbike with no helmets and a 15 year-old in charge.

Your place of living, your financial situation, the number of children you have, and how you look after them, reflect a series of life choices you have made. Your children did not make those choices but their lives are also governed by them. All any parent can do is the best for their children within the boundaries that exist for them. Willfully endangering their lives by carrying them unprotected on an unsuitable means of transport is NOT doing the best for your children.

I can tell you were a teacher in a western country. You have been drip fed the full health and safety and nanny type of state that knows all and thinks it knows better, usually wrongly. And now try to preach it.

In this case what use would the helmets have been? Even international helmets are designed for a car to hit head on, more for sliding along the road.

If a vast proportion of the population refuse to obey or respect certain laws (that even the prime minister of Thailand refuses to wear) do the laws by default not become defunct?

Do you really think walking in this country is any safer?

Public transport has proved again and again to be dangerous with untrained drivers in unsafe vehicles often driving whilst drunk or on drugs.

Simpletons.

Any suggestions?

+1

I fully agree with your post. The other poster is however condemning all who take their kids on a bike. On his other posts in the biking forum, it is clear that he is anti-bikes anyway

Fair comment is just that but you see everything as Thai bashing.

What's next for you, will you be complaining to the BIB about anyone who posts a video and request they be tracked down and dealt with which seems to be the official line these days ?

I assume English isn't your first language but I really can't understand your point.

Why would I bother complaining to the BIB?

Have you any idea how many of these accidents happen everyday? Do you want to watch, read and criticize every single one?

You must be retired, not have a family or a social life!

It might also draw attention to common problems.

I think most people that live here don't hate it, they just moan about stuff, same as they do at home. Bet you do the same really, right?

I agree that most don't hate it but there is a high proportion of poster on Thai Visa that do.

I don't moan very often. Acceptance of the things I can change and can't came after about 10 years living here. It' a learning curve that most get over.

Simpletons.

Any suggestions?

I can tell you were a teacher in a western country. You have been drip fed the full health and safety and nanny type of state that knows all and thinks it knows better, usually wrongly. And now try to preach it.

In this case what use would the helmets have been? Even international helmets are designed for a car to hit head on, more for sliding along the road.

If a vast proportion of the population refuse to obey or respect certain laws (that even the prime minister of Thailand refuses to wear) do the laws by default not become defunct?

Do you really think walking in this country is any safer?

Public transport has proved again and again to be dangerous with untrained drivers in unsafe vehicles often driving whilst drunk or on drugs.

You can choose whether to inform yourself or not.

For children under 15 who survive the first 2 weeks, road accidents are the leading cause of death https://pophealthmetrics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1478-7954-8-14 at nearly 12% and other studies report that road traffic deaths were twice what the national mortality data suggested http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/92/1/13-134106/en/

While drowning is the leading cause of death in the 5-9 year old group (20 per 10,000) with road traffic accidents second (10 per 10,000), RTA takes over for the 10-14 yo group (12 per 10,000) and rockets to 61 per 10,000 for the 15 to 17 group. What do most Thai kids do on the roads in the 15,17 year old age range? Ride motorbikes of course, often without basic safety equipment like helmets and always with a limited experience and understanding of driving and road safety.

http://swimsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Thai-child-short-report.pdf

The World Health Organization reported that 74 percent on road deaths in Thailand involved motorbikes.

So the summary is, for Thai school kids between the ages of 10 and 17, they are most likely to be killed or seriously injured (no reliable data for injuries resulting in permanent disability, but the numbers are likely to be at least equal to the numbers of deaths.) riding a motorbike. As they may ride to school there and back each day the chances of that happening during this journey are (unacceptably to me, but not to you) high.

If one cares about this, and I do, as I see families in the local community cremating their kids far too often due to this avoidable cause, then the minimum change one can argue for is an adherence to the laws of the land which would stop children riding bikes if they were not old enough or trained enough, and for them to wear the minimum safety equipment and ride as responsibly as we can make them, which means not overloading the bikes. We would also not want their parents to endanger them due to ignorance or callous disregard for their welfare, whether those parents were Thai or not. A school does have the power and the moral authority to insist on the laws of the land being obeyed where they enhance the safety of its pupils.

And finally, I have taught in Thailand, Malaysia, and Africa, as well as in Europe and in my opinion, States where there is a genuine and active concern over the welfare of the Nation's children are favourable to those where there is not, and they are also more successful in lots of ways.

Tuanku................

74% of deaths involved motorbikes. I am not a statistician, and without knowing the numbers of cars to bikes, it could prove bikes are safer! There are far more motorbikes than cars in Thailand.

The country should take more time stopping the cause of accidents. Overnight with enforcement it could drop dramatically. But for some reason i have never understood, governments and people in general bleat safety first, and thinks this means wrapping people up in cotton wool works. STOP the cause!

Tuanku................

74% of deaths involved motorbikes. I am not a statistician, and without knowing the numbers of cars to bikes, it could prove bikes are safer! There are far more motorbikes than cars in Thailand.

The country should take more time stopping the cause of accidents. Overnight with enforcement it could drop dramatically. But for some reason i have never understood, governments and people in general bleat safety first, and thinks this means wrapping people up in cotton wool works. STOP the cause!

Actually this statistic doesn't surprise me, only because a lot of motorcyclists (whether in town or rural communities) tend to ride without helmets.

Thus, even very simple knocks can result in death.

I will go around without a helmet in my mooban but any time I will get onto a main road, I will always be wearing a helmet

• 2 weeks later...

No, the little girl was sitting/standing in front of the lady in orange (pink on my screen), you can see her little girl flying out from in front of the lady when the video is played in slower motion.

I do wonder if the 500 baht helmets so popular in Thailand would offer much protection; certainly none for the facial area.

Edited by IAMHERE

No, it is time that the people who live in Thailand should respect the highways and care one another.