Is it true that most Thais believe that foreigners come here because LOS is amazing?

Thank you all for your comments.

* No, I am not from Texas or hold any extremist convictions, but it is convenient to pigeon-hole someone after reading a few lines, isn't it? LOL

I agree with you, I also don't accept certain bad cultural habits. However, there are far far far worst countries in the world.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get how or why people bitch about 90 day reporting. It's pretty painless.

It's really annoying, it doesn't really serve much of a purpose, and you get punished if you forget.

I agree.

Sure, it's relatively easy, but it really does seem pointless. Back in the US many years ago there was a requirement for aliens to report their address once each YEAR. Currently, the US alien registration card (Green Card, not too difficult to obtain) is good for TEN YEARS. Okay, the rebuttal is, "BS. Apples and oranges. Thais can do whatever they want. Go home!"

While I agree that Thais can do whatever they want, that doesn't make the 90 day reporting any less silly. That's twice as often as I get my teeth cleaned!

Roughly translated = I'm from a predominantly-white, G7 country so I should be exempt from having to follow the local immigration laws

Thank you all for your comments.

It looks like some had a tough time managing more than 2 lines of my OP,

....Big merciful snip.....

* No, I am not from Texas or hold any extremist convictions, but it is convenient to pigeon-hole someone after reading a few lines, isn't it? LOL

I'm sorry, I have read this 3 times and I fail so see any point to your rambling whatsoever.

I don't get how or why people bitch about 90 day reporting. It's pretty painless.

It's really annoying, it doesn't really serve much of a purpose, and you get punished if you forget.

I agree.

Sure, it's relatively easy, but it really does seem pointless. Back in the US many years ago there was a requirement for aliens to report their address once each YEAR. Currently, the US alien registration card (Green Card, not too difficult to obtain) is good for TEN YEARS. Okay, the rebuttal is, "BS. Apples and oranges. Thais can do whatever they want. Go home!"

While I agree that Thais can do whatever they want, that doesn't make the 90 day reporting any less silly. That's twice as often as I get my teeth cleaned!

Roughly translated = I'm from a predominantly-white, G7 country so I should be exempt from having to follow the local immigration law.

Do translations work for you though? For anyone?

x354.jpg

So, Agent Sumo, would you really follow the instruction? Come on, man! It is the local law. LOL

Sheep! Sorry! I meant to write "Cheap"!

"Life in Thailand would be much better if foreigners did not have to fill so many forms so many times to stay. It could be that some Thais must do the same when they come to our country. But, we do not set those rules. Please do not retaliate. We do not like to do this anywhere. I know you don't too. Why do I have to present my passport once to get a visa, at least 4 times to get to your country, one more time to pass immigration in Thailand, and to stay, I must do this every 90 days? No foreign country imposes this kind of unnecessarily unfriendly rules. This is indeed amazing for a country that is so-called so easy going. Why is your "mai pin rai" stopping for foreigners? Why do you not understand that we do not like to "lose face" too. to be treated like criminals? How many years do people must do this to prove that they are not in Thailand to cause problem? Do you know how many documents one must give to get a driver’s licence when one has one from our country? It is insane."

Do translations work for you though? For anyone?

x354.jpg

So, Agent Sumo, would you really follow the instruction? Come on, man! It is the local law. LOL

Sheep! Sorry! I meant to write "Cheap"!

"Life in Thailand would be much better if foreigners did not have to fill so many forms so many times to stay. It could be that some Thais must do the same when they come to our country. But, we do not set those rules. Please do not retaliate. We do not like to do this anywhere. I know you don't too. Why do I have to present my passport once to get a visa, at least 4 times to get to your country, one more time to pass immigration in Thailand, and to stay, I must do this every 90 days? No foreign country imposes this kind of unnecessarily unfriendly rules. This is indeed amazing for a country that is so-called so easy going. Why is your "mai pin rai" stopping for foreigners? Why do you not understand that we do not like to "lose face" too. to be treated like criminals? How many years do people must do this to prove that they are not in Thailand to cause problem? Do you know how many documents one must give to get a driver’s licence when one has one from our country? It is insane."

Utter gibberish

You can do 90 day reports online, for God's sake. How much easier do they have to make it?

If it makes your life that difficult, you should go somewhere else

Most Thais (who don't work in the tourism business) really don't spend much time wondering about why foreigners come to Thailand. In fact, it would be safe to say they spend zero time thinking about it.

Last time i was upcountry they were all talking bout a farang (with same passport as me) who came there on a bicycle straight from europe. He was cycling around the world or so and they couldn't understand why he had to do that.

Thailand sure has some attraction to westerners, they really came in huge amounts last years. But now they charge 10foulded prices the Europeans won't come anymore, isn't that strange?? whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Most Thais (who don't work in the tourism business) really don't spend much time wondering about why foreigners come to Thailand. In fact, it would be safe to say they spend zero time thinking about it.

Last time i was upcountry they were all talking bout a farang (with same passport as me) who came there on a bicycle straight from europe. He was cycling around the world or so and they couldn't understand why he had to do that.

Thailand sure has some attraction to westerners, they really came in huge amounts last years. But now they charge 10foulded prices the Europeans won't come anymore, isn't that strange?? whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Rubbish

Plenty of Europeans coming here.

If their numbers have fallen, it's because the euro is screwed compared to last year and not because prices in Thailand have increased tenfold.

There might be far fewer Brits here next year for the same reason

I like to sit alone on street with my 20 baht soup and speak very bad Thai. This is around 4 a.m. after I have witnessed 10,234 ladyboys (I do count) and 9,345 farangs walk drunkenly to the love motel.

i wouldn't say amazing..

but getting culture!!!!

Is it true that most Thais believe that foreigners come here because LOS is amazing?

Only the uneducated ones. Even those with a moderate education wonder why we'd rather be here than in a first world country they all aspire to visit/migrate to.

Really?

They're all desperate to visit or migrate to a "1st world" country?

Is it any wonder Thaivisa is as ridiculed as it is?

Only the uneducated ones. Even those with a moderate education wonder why we'd rather be here than in a first world country they all aspire to visit/migrate to.

Really?

Agree, that does show a tremendous amount of ignorance. Mr. Dags has been hanging out with way too many bargirls.

I think Thais - at least those who see foreigners on a reasonably regular basis - have come to realise that a large proportion of farangs who either come here on holiday or pitch a tent for an extended stay are not really worth their curiosity so I doubt they give our reasons for being here even a first thought let alone a second..

Really?

Agree, that does show a tremendous amount of ignorance. Mr. Dags has been hanging out with way too many bargirls.

Normal people stay in their own countries, misfits (and the extremely poor) want to live in other countries.

Thailand is really not cheap anymore.

Move to California or England for a while and tell me that. rolleyes.gif

You clearly don't know much about England, not to mention, if I were ever short of money in England, I could get a job, any job.

What's your point?

Move to California or England for a while and tell me that. rolleyes.gif

You clearly don't know much about England, not to mention, if I were ever short of money in England, I could get a job, any job.

What's your point?

would you like chips with that?

Move to California or England for a while and tell me that.

What's your point?

His point is, that in England, you can go to a restaurant and get tasty cooked meals for less than a pound and rent a clean, comfortable room for 100 pounds a month, so Thailand isn't really all that inexpensive. Funny, I always thought that England was more expensive than California and you can't come close to that here. rolleyes.gif

Really?

Normal people stay in their own countries, misfits (and the extremely poor) want to live in other countries.

Speak for yourself... :)

its more of a case of perceived superiority some people have over the "natives" in other words they are bitching because it case of "how dare the natives make the whities report their address every 90 days, dont the natives know their place "

If I didn't believe I had actual superiority over the 'natives' I'd hop over a balcony right now.

But in the case of most male foreigners I see in Thailand, I wouldn't have let them into the country in the first place.

Funny I feel exactly the same about the female Western tourists,not the Asian ones.Covered in tattoos with rolls of flab hanging out,staggering around drinking buckets and behaving innapropriately!

I agree.

Myself, thai wife and kids, all have residency in Saudi Arabia. Once a year my company has to update my status online.

Personally I do nothing.

I can also check all my family information online. Passport expiry dates, exit visa expiry dates, traffic violations. I can issue my family's exit visas myself, online, on my phone.

Saudi Arabia may have many faults, but when it comes to all this stuff, they make Thailand look prehistoric.

90 day reporting is a total waste of time.

Really?

So which are you then,a misfit or extremely poor?

His point is, that in England, you can go to a restaurant and get tasty cooked meals for less than a pound and rent a clean, comfortable room for 100 pounds a month, so Thailand isn't really all that inexpensive. Funny,

Thing being,

I already own my home in the UK, whether I'm in it or not. Next point, I rarely eat out.

England is a cook at home sort of place, and that's very cheap. Baked goods like apple turnovers, 5 for a pound.

Breakfast cereals, muesli, yogurt bars, extra thick cream, cheese, milk, biscuits, chocolate, tea, coffee all at fraction of the Thai prices.

Not to mention wine, craft beers and ciders, ready cook meals and burgers.

Yep, Thailand is really cheap if you want to eat pad Thai from a street stall 3x a day. But who does that?

Edited by MissAndry

What's your point?

His point is, that in England, you can go to a restaurant and get tasty cooked meals for less than a pound and rent a clean, comfortable room for 100 pounds a month, so Thailand isn't really all that inexpensive. Funny, I always thought that England was more expensive than California and you can't come close to that here. rolleyes.gif

A room for £100 per month?

Where? In some shithole in Blackpool, Toxteth or Bradford?

A tasty cooked meal for less than a pound?? You mean a heart attack on a plate full english with cheap, fatty bacon and toast buttered with Lidl budget margarine?

He's talking crap then

Edited by Agent Sumo

What's your point?

A room for £100 per month?

Where? In some shithole in Blackpool, Toxteth or Bradford?

A tasty cooked meal for less than a pound?? You mean a heart attack on a plate full english with cheap, fatty bacon and toast buttered with Lidl budget margarine?

He's talking crap then

Under £1 for a full English breakfast in the UK lol.... I seriously doubt it

A month ago I was there, a breakfast roll in a shop with bacon, eggs and hash brown and ketchup was about £3 to take outside and eat it in the car ...

His point is, that in England, you can go to a restaurant and get tasty cooked meals for less than a pound and rent a clean, comfortable room for 100 pounds a month, so Thailand isn't really all that inexpensive. Funny,

Thing being,

I already own my home in the UK, whether I'm in it or not. Next point, I rarely eat out.

England is a cook at home sort of place, and that's very cheap. Baked goods like apple turnovers, 5 for a pound.

Breakfast cereals, muesli, yogurt bars, extra thick cream, cheese, milk, biscuits, chocolate, tea, coffee all at fraction of the Thai prices.

Not to mention wine, craft beers and ciders, ready cook meals and burgers.

Yep, Thailand is really cheap if you want to eat pad Thai from a street stall 3x a day. But who does that?

Berkshire.