The Ghost Festival of Loei – one of the most colorful festivals in Thailand

Inspire

The Ghost Festival of Loei – one of the most colorful festivals in Thailand

post-245411-0-27497900-1468071987_thumb.

For Thai culture aficionados there is only one place to be this week– in the small town of Dan Sai in the north eastern province of Loei on the border with Laos.

The normally sleepy town is home to the raucous festival of Phi Ta Khon otherwise known as the Ghost Festival.

The festival’s roots come from local legends about demons and ghosts though some say it is a celebration of one of the lives of the Buddha when he was Prince Vessandara. When he returned to his city it was such a joyous occasion that all the spirits joined in too.

Some locals in the town say it commemorates the death of two lovers who eloped through a tunnel but got trapped and died.

Whatever the reason for the festival it is certainly a fun occasion. Mainly young men get dressed up in splendidly colorful costumes. They wear masks made from wooden parts of palm trees. These are soaked in water to soften them so they can be moulded into a face shape then are topped with a rice steaming basket that is attached.

The whole mask is then painted in bright colors often with a scary mouth and teeth and the characteristic pointed wooden nose. The flowing robes of the ghosts are made from strips of cloth tied onto old clothes or patchwork designs.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/ghost-festival-loei-one-colorful-festivals-thailand/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-07-09

been there around five or six years ago and it was one of the most fun weekends since I moved to this country 12 years ago. very very local, nice to mingle with the West-Isaan folks. just hard to find accomodation - LOEI is almost an hour away by car, and even there all hotels were fully booked

This year’s festival runs from July 6th to 8th.

Great timing for anyone who would like have liked to have seen it........... anything else interesting that we have just missed out on ??...(You can get all the latest tourist info on events that you might want to see but have past by reading TV)...................coffee1.gif

Edited by oxo1947

This year’s festival runs from July 6th to 8th.

Great timing for anyone who would like have liked to have seen it........... anything else interesting that we have just missed out on ??...(You can get all the latest tourist info on events that you might want to see but have past by reading TV)...................coffee1.gif

Just posted yesterday July 9th and it was July 6th - 8th?? Did I miss the 1st post?

This years festival runs from July 6th to 8th.

Please don't be sour to people who share such information. Now I know about this I will plan for next year- so can you.

I would like to thank the OP for this info and I will go next year. It's sounds good fun. Do you know of any other festivals or cultural events . I have been to the Naga Fireballs and to the Bun Bang Fai. I hope to go to the wax castle candle festival- the Nong khai boat races and the Surin elephant round up. Anybody know of any more?

I would like to thank the OP for this info and I will go next year. It's sounds good fun. Do you know of any other festivals or cultural events . I have been to the Naga Fireballs and to the Bun Bang Fai. I hope to go to the wax castle candle festival- the Nong khai boat races and the Surin elephant round up. Anybody know of any more?