Looking for an electric bike

does

Does anyone have experience with buying an electric bike in Thailand and whether they are for sale anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard or in Bangkok?

Ideally it would be a "driver-assisted" model, whereby you have to peddle and get extra power from the electric motor. But any and all information is welcome.

Also, are "kick-scooters" for adults sold in Thailand?

I've got a Nimble 24.6 and it's great for getting around the neighborhood in BKK.

LA Bicycles has shops all over Thailand.

http://www.la-bicycle.com/product-category/products/la-bicycle/e-ride/

http://www.la-bicycle.com/product/e-ride-nimble-24-6/

http://bicyclethailand.com/electric-bicycles-in-thailand/

Also quite a few models available on Lazada.com, but I can't speak for their quality.

You'll get more good info from using the search function than you'll get from a fresh thread. EBikes have been done and done again...

Does anyone have experience with buying an electric bike in Thailand and whether they are for sale anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard or in Bangkok?

Ideally it would be a "driver-assisted" model, whereby you have to peddle and get extra power from the electric motor. But any and all information is welcome.

Ask whoever wins the tour DE France, I hear they have the really good ones lol...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/27/483750160/no-motor-ized-bikes-tour-de-france-unveils-new-plan-to-catch-cheats

just make sure spare batteries are available in the future

This is the problem. My girlfriend was interested in buying a battery powered push bike or a full sized scooter, have seen them for sale in many places.

The batteries have a lifespan of about 2 years and not one of the stores that sell them could tell me from where I could buy replacement batteries and for this reason decided not a good idea to buy one.

My friends father actually sells these bikes ... apparently has been doing this for more than ten years.

I''ll get his website and post ..you can pm me if you like

This is the problem. My girlfriend was interested in buying a battery powered push bike or a full sized scooter, have seen them for sale in many places.

The batteries have a lifespan of about 2 years and not one of the stores that sell them could tell me from where I could buy replacement batteries and for this reason decided not a good idea to buy one.

Sealed lead acid batteries are available at Amorn, who have shops all over. I'd count on only a year on a set of SLA batteries in the Thai heat. That's what I got on my first set. Count on 500-900 baht per 12 volt battery, depending on the size. There are also a lot of shops in the electronics section of Chinatown that sell them.

I've got about 3 years on the lithium ion battery on my LA EBike, and it still gets me around. Good thing, too, because the 36V Li-Ion battery alone is 11,000 baht the last time I checked. I need to pull out the GPS next time to see if I'm losing any top speed. I've never tested the range so I can't tell if I'm losing range as the battery ages.

Thank you, Impluse. I appreciate your info.

You are right, I noticed the topic has been discussed in the past. However, it's nice to get some current information.

I've got a Nimble 24.6 and it's great for getting around the neighborhood in BKK.

Also quite a few models available on Lazada.com, but I can't speak for their quality.

You'll get more good info from using the search function than you'll get from a fresh thread. EBikes have been done and done again...

Batteries can be purchased anywhere in world. I have not read anywhere that the world is planning to stop making batteries.

try getting them sent from another country as air cargo cannot carry them for the time being due to plane fires related to Li Ion batteries also due to their possible size of over 160wh

Decathalon sells the Oxelo Town 9 kick scooter, it's high quality.

My friend has an Etow for a year now and loves it but he doesn't fly with it since it's such a big battery.

The Etow is nice but approaches gas scooter territory which is in a different league.

JAS21, on 10 Jul 2016 - 22:39, said:
does, on 10 Jul 2016 - 14:37, said:

My friends father actually sells these bikes ... apparently has been doing this for more than ten years.

I''ll get his website and post ..you can pm me if you like

The guy has two websites

www.siamvehicle.com and www.ebike.tht.in

I am disabled and made enquires about an electric scooter i was told "you won't find any in Thailand" you jave to buy onr

I hope the ending was nothing more serious than your GF putting her hand down yer trousers!

Just buy one which is sold a lot to Europeans. They like 36V lifepo4 batteries who are much better then lead-acid or normal lithium batteries.

I just bought one of them batteries myself to be shipped to Thailand, they all come from china.

Lifepo4 can be recharged 1-2000 times if you treat them well which is no over/undercharging. Good ones have a BMS battery management system which protects them.

Lifepo4 is the most safe lithium battery but there are other ones who even last longer, they are a little less safe though. Those ones use Graphene or other hitec materials but almost all bicycles have lifepo4 or the cheaper lithium models.

Just look on ebay for batteries and the shops in BKK sure will sell whole bikes with chargers i guess.

Batteries can be purchased anywhere in world. I have not read anywhere that the world is planning to stop making batteries.

try getting them sent from another country as air cargo cannot carry them for the time being due to plane fires related to Li Ion batteries also due to their possible size of over 160wh

Buy one here. I last took my regulation size li ion PMD battery as cabin luggage about a year ago,dunno if still can though, do you?

Buy one here. I last took my regulation size li ion PMD battery as cabin luggage about a year ago,dunno if still can though, do you?

That's a pretty definite "no" nowadays. Not in the checked bags, either. I'm pretty sure they're not even allowed as air cargo any more, but not sure about that info because it comes from EBay and AliExpress vendors. Shame, really. I just bought a spare Li-Ion battery for my ebike in China and the cost was about 1/3 of what I've been quoted in Thailand. Bigger capacity, too.

Every time I go to one of the Thai motors shows at Impact or Bitec I recall seeing some electric sit on scooters sold along the golf carts and other electric vehicles.

The Amorn electronics shop in Old Siam Plaza in Chinatown sells some Chinese e scooter too.

One looked like this but had pedals in case the battery dies?

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=e+scooter&num=100&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWtrfavu3NAhWHLo8KHb6IBfAQ_AUIBygB&biw=962&bih=601#imgrc=asHYpQ4OBY-45M%3A

Also the bike shop in the basement of Fortune Town sells some ebikes.

Kaidee is the best source though.

https://www.kaidee.com/c206-bicycles-electric_bike/

Somebody should build a cyclist rikshaw with solarpanels on the roof and an electric engine in it. If you park it in the sun it will charge the battery in a few hours.

If i lived upcountry i would build something like that. But on ebay you can buy e-bike conversionkits so it's easy to build an ebike out of a normal bike.

Just search on ebay/aliexpress and you'll find it much cheaper as in the shop.

The Amorn electronics shop in Old Siam Plaza in Chinatown sells some Chinese e scooter too.

One looked like this but had pedals in case the battery dies?

Another reason for the pedals is to qualify it as a bicycle in the USA and, I assume, other markets. Without the functional pedals, it's considered a powered vehicle and all kinds of restrictions kick in. Even if the pedals are poorly designed and poorly positioned, as long as they are functional it can be classified as a bicycle- with some other restrictions:

--Must weigh under 100 lb not including battery and rider

--Must be governed to 20 MPH under power

--Limited to 2 or 3 wheels

--I think there are limitations to the size of the motor or engine, but my brain leaks.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a pretty definite "no" nowadays. Not in the checked bags, either. I'm pretty sure they're not even allowed as air cargo any more, but not sure about that info because it comes from EBay and AliExpress vendors. Shame, really. I just bought a spare Li-Ion battery for my ebike in China and the cost was about 1/3 of what I've been quoted in Thailand. Bigger capacity, too.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

A 160Wh battery is pretty puny. You need to check with your airline for their independent policy. Not all airlines are IATA members - either they're too cheap or don't make the safety audit grade for membership. In Thailand, only Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways are members.

If greater than 160Wh, you can ship it as cargo in accordance with the dangerous goods regulations. This will restrict shipping to Cargo Aircraft Only [ie, you can't ship it in the cargo hold of a passenger flight].

• 1 month later...
On 10 luglio 2016 at 2:58 PM, impulse said:

2 hours ago, Chris C said:

I have the same bike myself but now a big problem . The battery is not working anymore, where can I get a new one ? When I talked to one of the LA dealers in Pattaya he was talking about 10000 baht for the battery , that is half of the price of a new el-bike,  very expensive. 

So I wonder if I can import them from China  ?  They are made in China but the bike is assembled in Thailand. 

2016_08_13_14_18_44.jpg

2016_08_13_14_17_52.jpg

3 hours ago, balo said:

I have the same bike myself but now a big problem . The battery is not working anymore, where can I get a new one ? When I talked to one of the LA dealers in Pattaya he was talking about 10000 baht for the battery , that is half of the price of a new el-bike,  very expensive. 

So I wonder if I can import them from China  ?  They are made in China but the bike is assembled in Thailand. 

2016_08_13_14_18_44.jpg

2016_08_13_14_17_52.jpg

A Li-Fe battery lasts much longer and costs about the same....search on ebay or alibaba...they will send it by boat.

I bought one on ebay and they shipped it by boat in 2 weeks. No extra costs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36v-15ah-LiFePO4-Battery-Electric-Bicycle-LI-Battery-Packs-EBIKE-SOOCTERS-CARBON-/252053456243?hash=item3aaf8e8573:g:smAAAOSw34FVHmQN

But yours is in a pack, 

search ebay/alibaba for LIFEPO4 36V    or bicyclebattery 36V

There is a lot of pricedifference and also quality...Study about the difference between li-ion and li-fe and you'll see that lion lasts 3 years or so and life double or more years.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bicycle+battery&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbicycle+battery+36v.TRS0&_nkw=bicycle+battery+36v&_sacat=0

18 hours ago, balo said:

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't.    That's Thailand.

A couple of months back, I went to China and bought a backup battery for my e-bike there, 48V 12 Amp-Hr.  Cost me about $110 with no negotiating.  About 1/3 of what the same battery would cost here, on EBay, or even on Aliexpress.  And you can buy them on just about any major street because e-bikes are so ubiquitous.

Unfortunately, the LA e-bike also has a proprietary battery connection design and I've never seen a spare sold that will plug into the socket on my Nimble.  If my battery does crap out, my first try would be to take it apart and see if the components can be replaced with batteries from Amorn Electronics.  Even then, I suspect the cost will be more than the 10K you were quoted for a replacement battery.

When those plans don't work out, I'll suck it up and pay the 10K.  I'll wince, because my entire e-bike in China only cost me the equivalent of 12K.   But Thailand has pretty stiff tariffs on imported e-bikes.  My memory tells me 60%, but it's been years since I looked it up.

Archived