Looking for an electric bike

does

I read that you shouldn't undercharge the lithium batteries, sure not the life-po4. Don't use it untill it's totally empty but charge when you notice lack of power...even better is charge at a certain low voltage...

Also there is qualitydifference in those batteries, don't know how to see if you get a high quality one or a B-choice.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tiger69 said:

There just opened a New Shop for Electric Bikes here in Pattaya.

You will find them on Soi Siam Country Club.

here is their website.

http://ninja-bikes.com/home.html

Thanks for the link.  They have some interesting stuff.  BUT:

To the owner of the shop (if he's reading in) :  I have never had a favorable experience with a shop that doesn't post prices on their website.  Maybe it happens.  But never in my experience.

I'd probably hop down from BKK for a look-see if the prices were reasonable.  I may even order one sight unseen for delivery since my time is precious and the half day to visit the shop is more valuable to me than the $$$.   But not to show up and risk finding out I just spent 2 hours on the road (each way) to look at stuff that's priced out of the market.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2016 at 11:56 AM, impulse said:

Thanks for the link.  They have some interesting stuff.  BUT:

To the owner of the shop (if he's reading in) :  I have never had a favorable experience with a shop that doesn't post prices on their website.  Maybe it happens.  But never in my experience.

I'd probably hop down from BKK for a look-see if the prices were reasonable.  I may even order one sight unseen for delivery since my time is precious and the half day to visit the shop is more valuable to me than the $$$.   But not to show up and risk finding out I just spent 2 hours on the road (each way) to look at stuff that's priced out of the market.

Not only no price but no address or map either.

• 11 months later...

On a related note, does anyone know (for sure, no guessing) the Thai laws around e-bikes? 

Back home, an e-bike is considered a bicycle for road rules and insurance purposes if it weighs less than 100 pounds, has functional pedals and is speed limited to 20 mph, and (my memory isn't great here) less than 750 watts(?).  If it exceeds any of those criteria, it's considered a motorcycle and subject to DOT regulations in addition to the Consumer Product Safety Commission requirements for bicycles.

I'm curious about Thailand's criteria, especially for insurance purposes because I could just see getting into an accident and having the insurance company decline to pay medical costs because I was legally riding a motorcycle.  And, of course, there are the issues of the BIB and getting fined.

17 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm curious about Thailand's criteria, especially for insurance purposes

I don't think there are any criteria for small E-bikes in Thailand.  You can even ride 50cc motobikes here without registration plates ,  as long as you stay away from the high ways.  

8 hours ago, balo said:

I don't think there are any criteria for small E-bikes in Thailand.  You can even ride 50cc motobikes here without registration plates ,  as long as you stay away from the high ways.  

On a practical level, you're probably 99.5% correct.  And I ride my e-bikes as if they're legal and have never been stopped in Thailand except by guys who are curious about them.

But insurance companies are rather pedantic and I'd hate to see anyone being bashed on TVF for doing a GoFundMe campaign because their travel insurance won't cover their electric or motorized scooter wreck, while they'll gladly (or even grudgingly) cover injuries from a bicycle wreck.  In that case, pedantic and legal definitions matter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a great e-bike, it is a 28 inch and it uses the same battery as the one pictured in thread #26 that he was quoted 10,000 baht for. I replaced mine in January 2017 for 4,500 baht here in Bangkok. I might be moving next year and might consider selling it then, it is in perfect condition and I even had the factory install shocks on the front fork for me. Take a look.

Falter E-Bike.JPG

2 hours ago, BobTH said:

I have a great e-bike, it is a 28 inch and it uses the same battery as the one pictured in thread #26 that he was quoted 10,000 baht for. I replaced mine in January 2017 for 4,500 baht here in Bangkok.

Yes that was me , but I replaced the battery and paid 4990 for it , it was delivered from Bangkok from LA bike. 

So we have the same bike , maybe not same brand, mine is Nimbla ,  but it looks the same. I paid 23k for mine back in 2013. 

Will not sell it as long as I live here, still working great. 

17 hours ago, balo said:

Yes that was me , but I replaced the battery and paid 4990 for it , it was delivered from Bangkok from LA bike. 

So we have the same bike , maybe not same brand, mine is Nimbla ,  but it looks the same. I paid 23k for mine back in 2013. 

Will not sell it as long as I live here, still working great. 

I am glad you got the better price for the battery, I believe I was told that 4,500 was a special price at the time I purchased mine which lasted 4 years and was actually still working. I sent the bike in for some routine maintenance and they told me it needed replaced so I got a new one. I believe you have the Nimble 24.6 inch wheel bike. Mine is a 28 inch that they do not really advertise here in Thailand, they are mostly sold out of the country, primarily in Europe. But you are correct in that the engineering of both are very similar and they are good quality e-bikes. I bought mine in January, 2013. 

41 minutes ago, balo said:

That's right , the model is not in production anymore. But I went to their website and they have a big selection of E-bikes for sale now at affordable prices.

https://www.electricbikesthailand.com/la-eride/

While I have enjoyed using my Nimble 24.6 as a neighborhood grocery getter, I think they've made a mistake by putting a 250 watt motor in all but their 27,900 (and up, some way up) bikes.  The 250 is okay, but having owned several 350 and 450 watt e-bikes and scooters in China, they are much more satisfying for keeping up with traffic at stop lights and anywhere I need acceleration as opposed to a (governed) top speed.  So the 250 is okay as a utilitarian tool, but you need more than that to call it a fun ride. 

On an aside, more than 450 watts can be problematic because the typical battery packs don't like to put out more than 10 amps without drawing down very quickly and that means 450 watts for a 48V battery, 350 watts for a 36V, etc.  Up in China, the premium e-bikes and e-scooters are going to 60V, 72V and 96V batteries and motors up to 1500 watts and up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived