Steering dampers

macknife

On a recent trip to the twisties in Kanchanaburi I hit a fairly deep pothole doing about 100+KPH, I didn't even see it! My ass flew about 3ft into the air and my Ninja 300 squirmed big time. Fortunately I managed to regain control and there was no damage to me or the bike. This got to thinking about steering dampers.

My previous bike had a head bearing issue and would go into tank slapping mode if I even took one hand of the bars. Needless to say i got that sorted out rather promptly.

I guess that experience made me a little paranoid.

So today i happen to see at my local bike dealer that YSS do a steering damper for the ninja (and other models). Yes I know it's not Ohlins etc but I have had good experience with their shocks on my other bikes and the price seemed reasonable at around 6500Baht.

I suppose my question is...

Is it necessary?

and how good are they at stopping tank slappers, potholes etc?

Would it interfere with the handling or steering dynamics of the bike?

post-80215-0-34567900-1468156452_thumb.p

The steering dampers do help dampen out the shakes ( side to side ) at the bars. They wont help a wheel going down , in a pot hole , but do calm down the sharpness .Necessary ? . Well , thats for you to decide. But if it saves you from just one crash !. I have an Ohlins on my factory Aprilia and its a nice addition , but it was much needed on a 2004 Kawasaki ZXR 1000. Evil bike.

I didn't even see it!

Blind?

Following to close to the vehicle in front?

Farting around with technology?

By all means fit a damper if you want one. It won't stop you riding into a pot hole if you don't modify your riding?

Pretty worthless on a 300cc. Just keep a loose grip and steadily accelerate.

I'm not really worried about the heart-stopping, brutal acceleration that the bike doesn't have, more to do with the Thai roads.

As we all know some stretches of road here leave a lot to be desired. With the random potholes or the undulating roads caused by heavy vehicles, I'm sure have caused many accidents.

Would a damper help prevent an accident due to major steering wobble or tank slapping after unexpectedly encountering one of these types of road hazards?

Edited by macknife

I didn't even see it!

Blind?

Following to close to the vehicle in front?

Farting around with technology?

By all means fit a damper if you want one. It won't stop you riding into a pot hole if you don't modify your riding?

Thanks for your concern VocalNeal but my eyesight is fine and there are virtually no cars around where we go riding. I also don't use any kind of technology on the bike unless the bike itself counts of course. I did say the pothole was deep, I didn't say it was long and wide. None of my riding companions saw it either, luckily for them they didn't ride through it. Let's just say it was conveniently camouflaged amongst the tree shadows.

I don't wish the damper to stop me riding into a pothole I'm hoping it will improve my chances of surviving the encounter unscathed. I have incidentally enquired at my local taxi mosai rank about the availability of a pothole detecting amulet.

Pretty worthless on a 300cc. Just keep a loose grip and steadily accelerate.

I'm not really worried about the heart-stopping, brutal acceleration that the bike doesn't have, more to do with the Thai roads.

As we all know some stretches of road here leave a lot to be desired. With the random potholes or the undulating roads caused by heavy vehicles, I'm sure have caused many accidents.

Would a damper help prevent an accident due to major steering wobble or tank slapping after unexpectedly encountering one of these types of road hazards?

You misunderstood.

"Just keep a loose grip and steadily accelerate." is how to get yourself out of a wobble or a tank slapper.

Unless your handlebars slapped badly and you were not able to gain control IMHO would be a waste of money on a small bike frame designs are much better now.

When going around most bends on twisty roads here e.g. Maesot mountain road, just by looking at approach surfaces you can sometimes expect there could be something lurking about on part of the corner.

From what you describe it a big hole but if the bike rides the same without issues OK but l would still check all of the front end of the bike thoroughly or get someone to check it.

" Ride to live ". thumbsup.gif