Bars all closed July 19 and 20?

AlexCanada

Prime minister announced that the 15th is now National no alcohol day. The police have just told us we have to close at midnight on the 14th. Looks like this month will loose money again. So many days the bar has to close but still have to pay salaries, rent, water etc

Most bars don't pay the girls on holidays. Don't be fooled mates. They aren't even legally employed at said bars. To make matters even worse, said bars want barfines on holidays if the girl gets lucky or was barfined the night prior. It's a wicked world even without the alcohol. Add alcohol and drugs to the mix and you've got it, Pattaya.

What are you talking about?

Lor has a valid point in what he is saying, for all bar owners, Falang & Thai. There are enough days already in lost revenue without additional self-appointed days of closing.

Nothing to do with bar fines on holidays (decent bars would be shut anyway) or girls working in the bars.

Nice to see you back posting again Chrisinth, and with a good post to.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear God, the same holidays, in the same country result in the same bar closures every year!

Why does anyone need to start a panic thread regarding it??

Sounds like you have the idea of a nice new thread there. Sure hope the OP hasn't ruined more than this one day for you.

Prime minister announced that the 15th is now National no alcohol day. The police have just told us we have to close at midnight on the 14th. Looks like this month will loose money again. So many days the bar has to close but still have to pay salaries, rent, water etc

Factor in the Constitutional referendum, the first weekend in August, and the Queen's birthday (not normally a bar closure day, but the King's birthday last year was closed for the first time since 2006), and it is not a good month ahead for bar owners.

Looks like this month will loose money again.

There are several new automobile franchises opening up south of Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road. Perhaps you should choose a new line of work and/or invest in something outside the world of prostitution, alcohol and drugs? Best of luck.

Nobody likes a smart arse

There are several new automobile franchises opening up south of Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road. Perhaps you should choose a new line of work and/or invest in something outside the world of prostitution, alcohol and drugs? Best of luck.

But, aren't they the same as prostitution, high cost, poor service and lack of communication skills when they ask for 1-2 million baht for a car. Example; I have a 2003 Zafira and the rear window cable drive is broke so I went to a GM dealer for a repair and was told they couldn't replace the $75 usd part but would replace the WHOLE door for 33,000 baht. So, window is up and locked.

Maintenance Tech's here? Look at Thai Airways level of maintenance and you believe a tech here understands a computer control 2016 car? It's not a 4g phone.

;

Officially yes, bars will all be closed. However, as always on the Buddha days if you look around you'll find places that are open and serving beer out of coffee mugs. No lights or music though, so you have to be pretty desperate to want to drink out on those days.

Or an active alcoholic, which accounts for most of the people starting these threads over and over again.

For goodness sake, how can closed bars for 2 days on a Mon and Tue be a problem to any normal human being?

Or an active alcoholic, which accounts for most of the people starting these threads over and over again.

For goodness sake, how can closed bars for 2 days on a Mon and Tue be a problem to any normal human being?

You only appear to be thinking from an expat point of view. Consider the tourist, who saves hard for a holiday in a Thai resort and comes on a 1 week holiday and cannot even get a glass of wine with his meal on 3 of his 7 days. For one i would not be a 'happy bunny' ! Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, Hua Hin are pretty much sold as 'party' resorts as well.

I am a non drinker, do not go into bars. but IMO the Thai government is wrong when it closes bars for religious or political reasons.

They give no thought to tourists who come to Thailand for entertainment in bars. Do they really want tourists here at all? Do they give no thought

to businesses who need their custom? Why should bar owners lose two nights business because of politicians who have little common sense?

Why should Thailand change its culture and customs depending on what tourists and foreign beer bar owners want/don't want?

If holiday makers are so keen on drinking each and every day, there are all possibilities to check the Thai national holidays in advance and plan accordingly.

Do you really think a tourist would anticipate the possibility of not getting a glass of wine with his meal in Phuket on every other day of his holiday.?. You may be a non drinker but love watching and listening to bands play in bars but they will be closed so no music either. Whether you are a drinker or not surely you can see this argument

Most bars don't pay the girls on holidays. Don't be fooled mates. They aren't even legally employed at said bars. To make matters even worse, said bars want barfines on holidays if the girl gets lucky or was barfined the night prior. It's a wicked world even without the alcohol. Add alcohol and drugs to the mix and you've got it, Pattaya.

Lor has a valid point in what he is saying, for all bar owners, Falang & Thai. There are enough days already in lost revenue without additional self-appointed days of closing.

Nothing to do with bar fines on holidays (decent bars would be shut anyway) or girls working in the bars.

The member, lor, posting as if he/she's an actual "bar owner" indicated she would lose "salaries" and the water bill would continue. I merely corrected her deception as to allow members to make their own judgments. It, said holidays, would be counted against the worker, be she a prostitute or bartender, on her off days allowed during a pay period, normally a month. This doesn't represent a loss to the "bar owner" as if it exceeds the allowed days off the wage will be docked, not just a daily percentage, but something equal to a barfine. To ignore this reality is your option. As for water, there are many vagrant type of farangs who use the normally clean restrooms at bars vs what they have in their fan rooms/back alleyways. Since the bar would be closed, water would be saved, not continue to be billed. It's on a meter as you must know? Same with electricity. So that brings us to the profit margin on booze sold or lost sales of said booze. Now you have the facts. Govern yourself according i.e. give a damn about your favorite pimp or don't.

But, aren't they the same as prostitution, high cost, poor service and lack of communication skills when they ask for 1-2 million baht for a car. Example; I have a 2003 Zafira and the rear window cable drive is broke so I went to a GM dealer for a repair and was told they couldn't replace the $75 usd part but would replace the WHOLE door for 33,000 baht. So, window is up and locked.

Maintenance Tech's here? Look at Thai Airways level of maintenance and you believe a tech here understands a computer control 2016 car? It's not a 4g phone.

While I find reading your post a bit confusing, I think I get your point. Thai Airways has FYI gotten over or fought through the maintenance and security issues they were confronted with. The flights to the USA weren't profitable, nothing to do with the maintenance issue. You also could also order the part yourself and find a mechanic to do the window repair I assume. These dealerships represent major investment by someone with some sense and some big name auto companies. You will see fifty motorcycles out in front every morning at some, and the workers are inside eating. Free I assume. Most I know with late modal cars find the service good. There were/are some issues with sales people. My point was and remains, if you are going to dip into prostitution, booze, and drugs, well...you might as well get used to things not always working the way you think they should. With an auto dealership I think it's more straight forward. Just an example. Trust your local pimp, I don't care. O O

Don't be so selfish, If you don't like bars and prostitution, that's fine, but don't start condemning others who do.

I don't go to bars, unless there is live music that I like, and do not drink or use prostitutes, but I have nothing against

those who do, unless of course they get drunk, and cause trouble.

The context was investing in prostitution, booze, and drugs(it goes along with one and two) and then bitching when you can't pimp with booze and drugs, having to rely on the good old fashioned method of having decent looking women which seems to have gone by the backside some years ago. O O

The member, lor, posting as if he/she's an actual "bar owner" indicated she would lose "salaries" and the water bill would continue. I merely corrected her deception as to allow members to make their own judgments. It, said holidays, would be counted against the worker, be she a prostitute or bartender, on her off days allowed during a pay period, normally a month. This doesn't represent a loss to the "bar owner" as if it exceeds the allowed days off the wage will be docked, not just a daily percentage, but something equal to a barfine. To ignore this reality is your option. As for water, there are many vagrant type of farangs who use the normally clean restrooms at bars vs what they have in their fan rooms/back alleyways. Since the bar would be closed, water would be saved, not continue to be billed. It's on a meter as you must know? Same with electricity. So that brings us to the profit margin on booze sold or lost sales of said booze. Now you have the facts. Govern yourself according i.e. give a damn about your favorite pimp or don't.

Not sure where you got all that from Lor's post.

I was commenting on 12 years experience of running a bar here, and sympathize with every bar owner trying to make a living.

As an aside, in all that time I never even got a barfine. I say this as an aside as barfines have nothing to do with bars being forced to close, another day closed, another day to catch up.

For a bar owner, 3 days closed in a month is a potential 10% loss in earnings.

(15, 19, 20)

You have to adjust that by the reduction in employee theft and the increase in employee productivity(as the girls will be more actively selling lady drinks and themselves).

As an aside, in all that time I never even got a barfine. I say this as an aside as barfines have nothing to do with bars being forced to close, another day closed, another day to catch up.

Barfines are a matter which do have something to do with being closed, if said bar has them, which many do. Cutting a girls wage when you are closed is just wrong. I appreciate it doesn't apply to your experiences but we are discussing the matter in general. Many go to bars looking for a girl, not just to drink or in some cases, not to drink at all, only looking for a girl. Cheers mate.

Officially yes, bars will all be closed. However, as always on the Buddha days if you look around you'll find places that are open and serving beer out of coffee mugs. No lights or music though, so you have to be pretty desperate to want to drink out on those days.

Agreed just spend a relaxing couple days on the Beach until early evening back to Hotel and relax instead of banging headaches.

I am a non drinker, do not go into bars. but IMO the Thai government is wrong when it closes bars for religious or political reasons.

They give no thought to tourists who come to Thailand for entertainment in bars. Do they really want tourists here at all? Do they give no thought

to businesses who need their custom? Why should bar owners lose two nights business because of politicians who have little common sense?

Why should Thailand change its culture and customs depending on what tourists and foreign beer bar owners want/don't want?

If holiday makers are so keen on drinking each and every day, there are all possibilities to check the Thai national holidays in advance and plan accordingly.

Rubbish.

Don't be so selfish, If you don't like bars and prostitution, that's fine, but don't start condemning others who do.

I don't go to bars, unless there is live music that I like, and do not drink or use prostitutes, but I have nothing against

those who do, unless of course they get drunk, and cause trouble.

The context was investing in prostitution, booze, and drugs(it goes along with one and two) and then bitching when you can't pimp with booze and drugs, having to rely on the good old fashioned method of having decent looking women which seems to have gone by the backside some years ago. O O

We all have our opinions.

I assume OP refers to July 18 & 19 (not 19 & 20). As July 19 is a Buddhist holiday it is alcohol free day. But July 18 is a "special holiday" so I assume alcohol can be served. Correct?

19th = Asahna Bucha = Closed

20th = Buddhist Lent = Closed

18th ought to be open as its only a "bridge" holiday.

Thank you. I stand corrected, (and need to find a better Holiday Warning prgm for my Google Calendar, lol)

Buying a bar in Pattaya is the best way to lose all your money!

Dear God, the same holidays, in the same country result in the same bar closures every year!

Why does anyone need to start a panic thread regarding it??

Not a panic thread just illustrating the lack of logic. And notifying people of the event.

Who said anything about Pattaya Wish Wash?

From my understanding the no alcohol day is the brain child of the no alcohol lobby getting into the Generals ear again.

Will be interesting to see what pans out.

The two days for start of Buddhist Lent I understand as is an annual closure .

Last year was 30/ 31 July

i was informed that 7th AUGUST was a "dry" day, voting day, but i did not see that on the list, can someone confirm

August 6th and 7th are both scheduled to be dry days, in view of the constitution referendum.

As the King's birthday last year was a dry day, for the first time since 2006, I would imagine the powers that be,

will also make the Queen's birthday this year, August 12th another dry day.

Archived