Bars all closed July 19 and 20?

AlexCanada

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

80 plus replies, and counting, to a simple question when "yes" or "no" was all that was required. People, smell the roses.

........... and your answer is ? .........................

My answer is , Treat everyday as you would the last day of your life, because, one day , it will be. Ie. Mundane things dont interest me.

80 plus replies, and counting, to a simple question when "yes" or "no" was all that was required. People, smell the roses.

My answer is , Treat everyday as you would the last day of your life, because, one day , it will be. Ie. Mundane things dont interest me.

biggrin.png

... and yet, you have devoted two post's worth of your time to mundanity...

Don't press him, he may have two or three more posts before you get a definitive answer from him. It's taken him 22 words to say it could have been answered in one word. Let's see how many words it takes him to say "yes" or "no"

Officially yes, bars will all be closed. However, as always on the Buddha days if you look around you'll find places that are open and serving beer out of coffee mugs. No lights or music though, so you have to be pretty desperate to want to drink out on those days.

Or an active alcoholic, which accounts for most of the people starting these threads over and over again.

For goodness sake, how can closed bars for 2 days on a Mon and Tue be a problem to any normal human being?

Well, for me it's a pain in the... I have a couple of friends arriving for a short visit tonight after our favourite quiet restaurant will be closed. They're here for 19th and 20th before leaving in the AM of 21st. I'm sure we'll have a great social time drinking tea with the vicar. Some plans aren't moveable.

Forget about the expats, anyone with a bit of nous who lives here and wants a drink knows how to find one. But if they're serious about wooing "quality tourists" it's an idiotic approach. Nothing to do with religion, other regional Buddhist countries don't adopt the same rules. Anyone accidentally visiting as a tourist during the wrong fortnight could easily be hit by anything from religious holidays, election day closures, arbitrary shutdowns and afternoon drinking bans that are almost certainly not forewarned in the holiday brochures. This is more off-putting to many tourists than the authorities here can imagine... prevented from having a glass of wine with their late lunch, potentially several days of blanket bar closures. For families holidaying with their kids whose parents enjoy a drink or two in the evening, or young couples enjoying the nightlife it'd be extremely disappointing. When they work 48 weeks a year and look forward to spending their hard earned money on holiday, every day counts.

SB. I do not see how it is sad, although the ones who get drunk and cause trouble I would agree with you.

Most of them come for a good time and have probably worked hard in their home country for a well earned holiday.

What is sad about that?

It is sad that people need to get drunk and go with women half their age and call it a holiday.I know blokes that have never been anywhere but Pattaya,not even Bangers.That's not sad,it's pathetic.

Guilty as charged. I've never been anywhere other than Bangkok and various places on visa runs and one trip to Satahip and Koh Samet... I better get a box of tissues... my life is pathetic and sad. crying.gif Does Koh Larn qualify?

Woody1, on 11 Jul 2016 - 07:40, said:

Dear God, the same holidays, in the same country result in the same bar closures every year!

Why does anyone need to start a panic thread regarding it??

Not sure where you get the "panic" from ... are you sure that you don't have a case of hysteria when you read about bar closures on Buddhist holidays?

Many travelers come to certain parts of Thailand to party and often only for a week or two

With that in mind most would like to see venues open and better yet serve alcohol.

Believe it or not there are people that are new to Thailand and would not have read yesteryears posts.

Add to this that the Buddhist holidays are "moving targets" as they are based on a lunar calendar

Surely there too are people who have been to Thailand several times who just happened to "miss" these days.

Granted that there is nothing that can be done about the closures, but being informed one can prepare and soften the impact ... like stocking up and/or arranging the company sought in advance.

I have a tremendous amount of date showing Internet activity (not boards) concerning these closures and the increase in traffic increases significantly in the week leading up to a closure and enormously the days of.

That is a sure sign that countless people are caught off guard, so these reminders can only serve to help as many as possible.

Mojomor, on 14 Jul 2016 - 10:05, said:

The King's birthday last year was not a dry day, nor has been for at least 10 years. Some people decide to close because they are easily confused, or decide to give the staff a day off.

You are correct concerning last year in tourist areas, but wrong about the last 10 years.

I have created a database for bar closure days that now span 8-9 years.

Although 5 Dec is the hardest to summarize, I believe it is sufficiently accurate.

2014: Bangkok no reports of closure, Pattaya Soi LK only and Phuket widespread closures.

2011-2013: Bangkok and Pattaya normal or near normal, Phuket widespread closures

2009-2010: Mostly closures.

In areas where closure was mandated it was during a time when authorities often turned a blind eye if tea was served.

SB. I do not see how it is sad, although the ones who get drunk and cause trouble I would agree with you.

Most of them come for a good time and have probably worked hard in their home country for a well earned holiday.

What is sad about that?

It is sad that people need to get drunk and go with women half their age and call it a holiday.I know blokes that have never been anywhere but Pattaya,not even Bangers.That's not sad,it's pathetic.

What is sad, are thaivisa punters moralising about experiential vacuums in life and in Thailand.

Most, from what i can tell, who contribute here have come from different stock and cut from all sorts of cloth. Charging sections as 'pathetic' is strong language and very much value ladened .... more about the opined than any recipient. And i say this as one who does not indulge as those who louse denigrates. But more as one who cuts slack in Thailand because it is not elsewhere. All here came for various reasons.

The language above is like the pointing to the alleged villian we see in photos, just with words.

I'm looking forward to 48 hours without loud music blaring out on every street, and without the p*ssed-up people everywhere.

They should have two such days every week.

One would imagine the loud music and pissed up people were there before you moved in.

You had a choice

I'm looking forward to 48 hours without loud music blaring out on every street, and without the p*ssed-up people everywhere.

They should have two such days every week.

One would imagine the loud music and pissed up people were there before you moved in.

You had a choice

One would imagine that you are just looking for an argument, since you don't know Kittenkong, so also have no knowledge of his neighborhood or if the loud music was there before he moved in.

i had booked a long weekend in Pattaya , now to be told that saturday and sunday 6/7th AUGUST are "dry" days so that 's 2 of my 4 days wasted.why the hell should bars be shut as someone wants to vote.

i had booked a long weekend in Pattaya , now to be told that saturday and sunday 6/7th AUGUST are "dry" days so that 's 2 of my 4 days wasted.why the hell should bars be shut as someone wants to vote.

Why the hell should they change the way they do things just so some farang can enjoy a weekend piss up?

C'mon. You're better than that. You already have the information warning you to stock up. A little bit of advance planning, and you don't have to miss a sip. Though you may have to sip in different locations. Or, maybe not- but a backup plan is never a bad idea.

Start making your list today. You can give a whole new meaning to the word "Preppers".

out for food last night at my PLAZA, Phra khanong, to see 2 male twatpackers slugging six bottles of chang on their table. no respect at all.

Almost as disrespectful to Thai culture as the Thais that sold it to them I suppose... whistling.gif

Anyway hang in there guys we have come so far now and less than 12 hours before everything goes back to normal. God grant us the serenity to continue on until then.

out for food last night at my PLAZA, Phra khanong, to see 2 male twatpackers slugging six bottles of chang on their table. no respect at all.

There's no law against drinking alcohol on Buddha days, just selling it. Maybe they had brought their own supplies with them?

Archived