Dual pricing isaan

Rc2702

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Recently we had an English lady visitng.

She went to a local shop to buy a small bottle of cola, she was charged 18 baht.

She told me, i went to the same shop, same man charged me 12 baht for the same cola.

That evening my wife asked him why did you do that, answer she farang.

Wife said my husband is farang, yes but he local and shops here every week.

She went to a local shop to buy a small bottle of cola, she was charged 18 baht.

She told me, i went to the same shop, same man charged me 12 baht for the same cola.

What happened next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I occasionally get ripped off in local markets (Kantharalak and Ubon) when buying fruits, veg and meat, but it's only a matter of a few satang generally.

I always ask the price before they start stuffing in a bag. Maybe once every couple of months I will give them a dirty look when its say 20% over the price it should be, issue a snorted 'paeng' and walk off. Usually I can sense form their reaction that they know that I know that they just tried to overcharge a falang.

Meat ladies almost always give short weight in Kantharalak fresh market, but they probably do that to everyone! I haven't quite got round to taking electronic scales with me but I've thought about it a few times. I suspect I'm well enough known that the story would get around quickly and I suspect they would run me out of towntongue.png

I go into a small family-run hardware/plumbing/wood merchants a few times a year. Every time I've been there, I've been given a 10% discount on all my purchases - all their prices are marked on individual items - even though I rarely buy more than a couple of hundred baht-worth of goods at a time and probably less than 2000 ฿ a year.

Never could figure out why they gave the discount until I mentioned it to my wife. She told me that she'd taught the now-owner of the shop at Prathom school over 25 years ago and that they knew I was her husband because they'd been to our wedding. They seem to have remembered my face from then and had given me the discount out of respect for my wife!

I've never had this happen anywhere I've lived in Thailand. Isaan, Bangkok, the central mountain area... ???

you should use the local taxi's,the vendors that sell prawns in the markets with dodgy scales, and not forgetting the pet welfare doctors [VETS] mind you its not rearly dual pricing but TRIPLE.

There are some people, that will charge a farangs, surcharge, but not many. In my district town there I'd a small feed shop, the father and daughter always charge me the Thai price, but for some reason the mother charges me more. I never noticed it until one day I went to buy something that I had bought the day before from the daughter. The mother wanted more, and then I remembered back and things clicked, I went elsewhere. Most shops seem to have a discount below there marked price, and they seem to give this to me, without asking. It seems the Thais have not so much a farang price, but a tourist price. If you live in the community you pay the Thai price, but if you are obviously a tourist, they might charge you more. 25 years ago When I lived on Koh Samui, I ran into this. I would pay the Thai price, but lots of tourists would pay a higher price.

What happened next?

What happened he gave my wife 5 baht. As my wife said lady is a friend/visitor, so i will not allow local shops to cheat.

Seems most are of opinion that dual pricing is minimal if not non existent here.

This national park on koh lanta in South my only experience. 20 baht thai 100 baht farang.

Seems to be a lot of disgruntled people in South about this.

All national parks (well all the ones I have been to) have dual pricing. There are many threads/rants on the subject; let's not go round that all over again.

Sometimes you can get Thai treatment if you speak politely in Thai and tell em you live here/pay taxes here (you do - sales tax if nothing else).

Woops I said let's no go over old ground

All national parks (well all the ones I have been to) have dual pricing. There are many threads/rants on the subject; let's not go round that all over again.

Sometimes you can get Thai treatment if you speak politely in Thai and tell em you live here/pay taxes here (you do - sales tax if nothing else).

Woops I said let's no go over old ground

We took my wife's parents to the national park in Chaiyaphun a couple of weeks ago and I have driving license even a yellow house book but made no difference they still wanted 200 baht compared to the 50 baht for Thai.

I went and sat in the car and read my book.....I refuse to pay when they charge these exorbitant prices.

I'd already seen the park a few years ago anyway so wasn't bothered in the least.

HL

I've never had this happen anywhere I've lived in Thailand. Isaan, Bangkok, the central mountain area... ???

Really , i did not know bonkers had a central mountain area ,

Live and learn .wai2.gif

I had my teeth cleaned at a dentist once and got charged 900 baht, then my wife had hers done and got charged 500 baht and she's got twice as many teeth as me.....lol

HL

Best get her to take them next time!

I agree. Haven't suffered the dreaded dual price at all in my area.

Personally , i agree with dual pricing

We are farlangs , Alien , / foreigener . have much more money than Thai people , who rightly resent us .

Why do many thai lady want farlang darling , and not thai darling . ? Dual pricing . at it,s best . wai2.gif

Seems most are of opinion that dual pricing is minimal if not non existent here.

This national park on koh lanta in South my only experience. 20 baht thai 100 baht farang.

Seems to be a lot of disgruntled people in South about this.

In Kao Yai its 400thb for foreigners...........but this is government dual pricing not locals.

In my 10 yr experience Esaan dual pricing is infrequent and small scale.

BUT beware of tipping......I used to regularly have an Archaa or 2 in a night market watching all the lovelies go by. The price for ages was 45thb. One nght I had one and when I went to pay I deduced from the proprietress that the price of Archaa had increased to 47 or 48thb. So I gave her 50thb, declined the change with a smile and walked away. Big mistake! From then on the price for an Archaa was 50thb.......lol.

There is a place where Thais pay menu prices and farangs get a discount on that price. I wonder if the people who resent the usual duel pricing would accept that discount???

For obvious reasons I will not be saying where or what that place is.

I had my teeth cleaned at a dentist once and got charged 900 baht, then my wife had hers done and got charged 500 baht and she's got twice as many teeth as me.....lol

HL

I have a friend who went to a dentist in KK, I forgot what he was charged, but he complained and said it was more than Thais. She brought out a paper from KKU Dentistry School, that had suggested rates on it. My friend said it had two prices, one for farang, one for Thais.

There is a place where Thais pay menu prices and farangs get a discount on that price. I wonder if the people who resent the usual duel pricing would accept that discount???

For obvious reasons I will not be saying where or what that place is.

No

YES

Edited by Jip99

So if a guy goes in with his thai mrs has same meal as one another price is different?

Same guy goes in with his thai wife and thai/euro kids. How does it work for the kids?

Or is it simply if you in group of farangs you get farang price anything else thai price?

So if a guy goes in with his thai mrs has same meal as one another price is different?

Same guy goes in with his thai wife and thai/euro kids. How does it work for the kids?

Or is it simply if you in group of farangs you get farang price anything else thai price?

They have a specific price for kids (10THB), and don't specify if it's for Thai or foreigners, so I'd assume that this would apply.

Although being Thailand, they might just decide based on the colour of their skin, so the more Caucasian looking kids pay the higher price, while the more Thai looking kids pay the lower price lol.

Before the fee was 20 baht for both thai and farlang at the tower in Mukdahan. Today it's 30 baht for thai and 50 baht for farlang. They explained to me that they had been told to do so.

attachicon.gifIMG_0341 (2).JPG

They'll probably lose money this way, should have left it as it was.

It's not really worth 30 Baht, let alone 50 Baht, but that 50 Baht will just pizz off a few Farangs who will see the injustice and not go up the tower, tell the wife and entourage to get in the car and go elsewhere, then again, it's not just white Farangs, maybe they are targetting groups, chinese etc.

Edited by Broken Record

Before the fee was 20 baht for both thai and farlang at the tower in Mukdahan. Today it's 30 baht for thai and 50 baht for farlang. They explained to me that they had been told to do so.

attachicon.gifIMG_0341 (2).JPG

They'll probably lose money this way, should have left it as it was.

It's not really worth 30 Baht, let alone 50 Baht, but that 50 Baht will just pizz off a few Farangs who will see the injustice and not go up the tower, tell the wife and entourage to get in the car and go elsewhere, then again, it's not just white Farangs, maybe they are targetting groups, chinese etc.

Are you aware of what "farang" means? There is no such thing as a non-white farang.

Maybe you meant to use the word "foreigner"?