DIY Chain Harrow ?

I have a 2.5 rai plot, 500m from the beach, so quite sandy soil.

Looking to tidy it up and try to get a reasonable coverage of grass.. Not looking at golf green standard :)

Was thinking about maybe making a sort of chain harrow/drag mat to clean it up then short mowing and repeating indefinitely !! Any thoughts on the process ?

Can you buy chain harrows here or has anyone made one that works. Something cheap and simple reqd, not got a tractor so will drag behind the pick up :)

Here is what I have now...

post-85853-14683933613791_thumb.jpg

post-85853-14683933756529_thumb.jpg

post-85853-14683933891321_thumb.jpg

i have seen them (one) around bit of a crude nock up but however would do the job really my advice would be to hire a guy +tractor

get it ploughed over then roto tilled a couple of times to a reasonable level then utilise your idea of the tiller/drag chain

whats the plan for this land ?

Hi CC,

I tried a sheet of linked fence with a weight on it before and it went alright but ploughed it first.

I would get a tractor with blade or a grader to do initial level then top dress it after with sand and

then use as you say a chain or link fence or even weldmesh to maintain it.

2.5 rai is a lot to top dress though.

Looks nice with the trees in backgroundthumbsup.gif

Thanks guys,

I don't really want to plough the plot... The base is there just needs cleaning up.. Its level already..

I'm not after perfection, just want to get rid of all the small stones, weeds etc...

Figured if I just keep mowing short and dragging it continuously then eventually it should come good !!! Might be wrong :)

I will have a go at knocking up something possibly with chain link or a big log with 6" nails in it....

The plot....

We will put a house in the far left corner, behind where the pick up is...

The rest of the plot will be utilized later on.. Possibly a small resort as we are just 500m from the beach..

Its in pretty good condition level wise, just needs some shade trees and less weeds n rocks :)

post-85853-14684003759746_thumb.jpg

Some thing like this ,would do the job ,this we made ourselves ,a chain harrow would do the job ,but never seen one in Thailand ,I would like a set for my grass land .

I would think you would end up using weld mesh ,to get it some thing like level some old tractor tyres dragged across the land ,would do ,seen that done in arable fields

post-173146-0-08612100-1468401148_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...