Thai driving licence

Deepinthailand

And have a magnifying glass at hand tongue.png

Funny enough I would have the same problem.

The address on my car DL from KK is simply wrong (I didn't check on the spot facepalm.gif) and in the meantime I got a yellow book.

But I decided to avoid the hassle until a renewal is due.

I made a motorbike license at KK 2 (Chum Phae).

Yellow book was accepted as proof of address but they still used my passport nr. for ID.

I simply think it's not worth the effort to care about.

As long as the base data (name, birthday) are OK the license is valid and that's it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You're right, it's on the back in tiny print.

This raises an interesting question, what happens if you don't bother changing it ? I have a 5 year license and moved house earlier this year and I obviously haven't changed the address as I had no idea it was there ?

Overlapping posts.

Looking forward to someone raising concern about wrong outdated/address.

The DL will never be a fully accepted proof of address not even for Thai people.

So I ignored it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Overlapping posts.

The DL will never be a fully accepted proof of address not even for Thai people.

So I ignored it.

I just wonder if this will cause any issues if I ever make an insurance claim. I will mention this to my broker when I go down there at the end of this week to collect some documents.

Overlapping posts.

So I ignored it.

I just wonder if this will cause any issues if I ever make an insurance claim. I will mention this to my broker when I go down there at the end of this week to collect some documents.

I doubt it, I was using my Phuket license here in CM for two years and was even involved in a minor accident, the insurance folks didn't care, neither did the police. But it's good to get all the ducks in a row and get things done properly, as I recall from memory there is no supportive documentation required for an address change, it's a self certification type of thing but others may wish to confirm or deny.

A couple of years ago I got a DL with my Hua Hin address on back. When I relocated back to BKK I went to DL Office (near Mo Chit BTS) to have correct BKK address entered. The officer told me they only change address when the license expires.

You don't need to change the address.

Thanks been today to change address and yes it was deemed by KK DLO as necessary. If you get a speeding fine from fixed cameras it will be sent to your address. They said if it was retuned as no longer here it would inker higher penalties. Wether they were right or wrong I did it for my price of mind every document now has correct address and all have same ID number now. I like my ducks all in a row. Plus the bonus I recived of getting my new 5 year licence 8 months early. No tests color or foot. So yes in the end was worth it in my book

Ps documentation needed licence, yellow book, and the new ID card for me no problems at all.

Edited by Deepinthailand

Thanks been today to change address and yes it was deemed by KK DLO as necessary. If you get a speeding fine from fixed cameras it will be sent to your address. They said if it was retuned as no longer here it would inker higher penalties. Wether they were right or wrong I did it for my price of mind every document now has correct address and all have same ID number now. I like my ducks all in a row. Plus the bonus I recived of getting my new 5 year licence 8 months early. No tests color or foot. So yes in the end was worth it in my book

Ps documentation needed licence, yellow book, and the new ID card for me no problems at all.

The reason why you don't need to change address is that the Immigration Police allready has your correct address if you have the yellow book or your landlord, wife or girlfriend have registered your adress at the Immigration Office.

To get a Thai drivers lisence you need a Non Immigrant Visa. When you apply for a Non Immigrant Visa you MUST give the Immigration Office your correct address. When you do your 90-days repport you give them the new address iff you move.

Edited by Norlund

The reason why you don't need to change address is that the Immigration Police allready has your correct address if you have the yellow book or your landlord, wife or girlfriend have registered your adress at the Immigration Office.

To get a Thai drivers lisence you need a Non Immigrant Visa. When you apply for a Non Immigrant Visa you MUST give the Immigration Office your correct address. When you do your 90-days repport you give them the new address iff you move.

Not to be argumentative but if you are here on a 30 day visa exempt you can get a driving licence I did. Then you go out of country to get a non o based on marriage which I did. So then we move which we did therefore immigration have not have your address because I didn't get a visa from them. Now if you leave the country every 90 days and return they still haven't got your new address. Now if the mrs doesnt bother to tell immigration via a tm 30 they have no idea where you live. Now in my case what you say is correct but are the BIB going to ask the immigration police where you live !!!! Probably not I venture to say. Anyway its done now and as stated before I am glad I did it. Thanks for reply though

Not to be argumentative but if you are here on a 30 day visa exempt you can get a driving licence I did. Then you go out of country to get a non o based on marriage which I did. So then we move which we did therefore immigration have not have your address because I didn't get a visa from them. Now if you leave the country every 90 days and return they still haven't got your new address. Now if the mrs doesnt bother to tell immigration via a tm 30 they have no idea where you live. Now in my case what you say is correct but are the BIB going to ask the immigration police where you live !!!! Probably not I venture to say. Anyway its done now and as stated before I am glad I did it. Thanks for reply though

I think that you have gotten it all wrong. It has been several discusions on the forum about Thai drivers license. And often someone doesn't understand that Thai officials do what they do when they want to do. If an official gives you a Thai drivers license it doesn't need to mean that it's by the book. To have a Thai drivers license THAI LAW says you need a Non Immigrant Visa.

Acording to Thai law a foreigner can't stay in a house, apartment or hotel for more than 24 hours without the landlord/hotel notifying the local police station. It means that whatever visa or not you got they know were you live. If the landlord or hotel doesn't notify the local police he or her is braking the law. If you are renting a house or apartment the landlord MUST notify the Immigation Office.

When you apply for a Non Immigrant Visa outside Thailand at an ambassy or consulat I can asure you that EVERY information of your whereabouts in Thailand wil be registered and that information is open for the immigration officers to see. Today the Immigration officers are going from "door to door" checking out that the information they get is correct.

The Immigration Office DOES NOT issue visas. They extend visas.

I think that you have gotten it all wrong. It has been several discusions on the forum about Thai drivers license. And often someone doesn't understand that Thai officials do what they do when they want to do. If an official gives you a Thai drivers license it doesn't need to mean that it's by the book. To have a Thai drivers license THAI LAW says you need a Non Immigrant Visa.

Acording to Thai law a foreigner can't stay in a house, apartment or hotel for more than 24 hours without the landlord/hotel notifying the local police station. It means that whatever visa or not you got they know were you live. If the landlord or hotel doesn't notify the local police he or her is braking the law. If you are renting a house or apartment the landlord MUST notify the Immigation Office.

When you apply for a Non Immigrant Visa outside Thailand at an ambassy or consulat I can asure you that EVERY information of your whereabouts in Thailand wil be registered and that information is open for the immigration officers to see. Today the Immigration officers are going from "door to door" checking out that the information they get is correct.

The Immigration Office DOES NOT issue visas. They extend visas.

Your information about non-O visa being a pre-requisite for issuance of a Thai drivers license is not entirely correct.

In order to obtain a Thai drivers license a person must obtain a residency certificate from Immigration Dept. and in order to get that a person needs proof of their address in Thailand, cases of people using hotels for this purpose have been reported. The Thai Police encourage foreigners to obtain Thai drivers licenses because it makes things easier for them, as long as the license is issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles it is valid.

Yes I got and know off many others who have got a thai driving licence on a 30 visa exempt. As stated I left country got a non o based on marriage now yes I had to take paper work ie Mrs blue book I'd ect. Both addresses on those documents was were she was born not where we were living so the consulate only had the address ( condo) where I was staying on forms I filled in. So after moving that was rendered useless. How many condo/hotel/guessed houses actualy report alien staying I know for a fact my landlord didn't. But this is all irrelevant I am registered now. And all my ID's are in order. As for Thai officials all being diffrent yes I agree but when you go and see an official on a particular day you do as he/she says in that day. I was told yes you should change your address on licence. Plus I wanted to.

This has been discussed on other threads before, but I can repeat myself once more. This is some of the papers you need to have a Thai drivers license.

1. Non Immigrant Visa.

2. Certification of your address in Thailand from either the Immigration office, your ambassy, yellow book or from the local polise station.

3. National drivers license together with international drivers lisence or a verfication of your national drivers license from your ambassy if you don't have

an international drivers license.

Thai law says that a foreigner MUST obtain a Thai drivers license after staying in the kingdom for more than 90 days. An international drivers license is INVALID after 90 days.

IFF you have obtained your Thai drivers license iligally you are BRAKING THE LAW. What you have in your hand is an illigal document.

I got my first 1 year license on an ED visa and renewed it for a 5 year replacement on a PE visa which is apparently a 5 year 'glorified' tourist visa.

I thought I was going to get a one year replacement but no, they gave me the 5 year one.

I got my first 1 year license on an ED visa and renewed it for a 5 year replacement on a PE visa which is apparently a 5 year 'glorified' tourist visa.

I thought I was going to get a one year replacement but no, they gave me the 5 year one.

The 5 year licence is not a glorified tourist licence it's the same as Thais get.

This has been discussed on other threads before, but I can repeat myself once more. This is some of the papers you need to have a Thai drivers license.

1. Non Immigrant Visa.

2. Certification of your address in Thailand from either the Immigration office, your ambassy, yellow book or from the local polise station.

3. National drivers license together with international drivers lisence or a verfication of your national drivers license from your ambassy if you don't have

Thai law says that a foreigner MUST obtain a Thai drivers license after staying in the kingdom for more than 90 days. An international drivers license is INVALID after 90 days.

IFF you have obtained your Thai drivers license iligally you are BRAKING THE LAW. What you have in your hand is an illigal document.

1 you can get a thai licence on tourist visa or visa exempt I know I have and many others have

2.correct and you also need a medical cert as well.

3.uk in my case full driving licence then you do not need it licence or any letter from anyone.

As for breaking the law then chumburi DLO has broken there own law oh and so has KK DLO for renewing it, which I will say they 100% have not. So please why don't you listen to others.

Edited by Deepinthailand

1. Non Immigrant Visa.

1 you can get a thai licence on tourist visa or visa exempt I know I have and many others have

3.uk in my case full driving licence then you do not need it licence or any letter from anyone.

As for breaking the law then chumburi DLO has broken there own law oh and so has KK DLO for renewing it, which I will say they 100% have not. So please why don't you listen to others.

What I tell you is THAI LAW. What you and some others DO NOT understand is that Thailand DO NOT work like the western countries you are all comming from. What I'm telling you it's easy to find proof for on the net after a "few clics". You MUST NOT think that an officer at DLT or Immigration Office is allways doing everything "by the book". Then you or others will sooner or later end up with problems. An officer can do whatever he or she wants to do, and sometimes THEY DO. If the officer tell you that you DON'T need the propper visa or a certification of address at DLT then you don't need it (AT THAT TIME). But it DOESN'T mean that this is THAI LAW and it's gonna happen the next time for you or someone else in this office.

When I had my first Thai drivers license (I don't have one in my native country) the officer asked me if I could drive and I said: not to much. (It's really a funny story). And still he gave me. If I told other foreigners that you don't need driving skills to get a Thai drivers license it certainly would make problems for other foreigners. You HAVE to see the difference between what the officers do and what THAI LAW says and UNDERSTAND that they give you a Thai drivers license or a Thai visa WITHOUT the propper papers. This is just common knowledge for us that has stayed some years in Thailand.

What can possibly be illegal about possession of a Thai drivers license that is issued by the drivers license authority in Thailand, that's nonsense!

Maybe you would say the same thing when someone pays money (NOT talking about the fee) for a Non Immigrant Visa. They just have a "stamp" in the passport, nothing more. If some officials investigate they will easily find out that some papers are missing. And the consequences are severe, Maybe not to much for the officers, but for the foreigner it's maybe some jail time, a heavy fine and "bye bye" do not come back to Thailand for a while. If you don't have the propper papers you are technically braking the law. And it's the same with a Thai drivers license. Even iff the officer gives you a Thai drivers license without you having the propper qualifications it DOESN'T mean that you are "home free". It's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to give the officer at DLT all the papers needed.

Thinking that in Thailand no laws, what so ever, does'n exist is a big mistake. Today Thai authorities are "hunting down" foreigners without a visa, foreigners working without a work permit and foreigners using a company for buying land. So tell me why schouldn't foreigners with a unlawfull Thai drivers license be worried?

Edited by Norlund

What can possibly be illegal about possession of a Thai drivers license that is issued by the drivers license authority in Thailand, that's nonsense!

Maybe you would say the same thing when someone pays money (NOT talking about the fee) for a Non Immigrant Visa. They just have a "stamp" in the passport, nothing more. If some officials investigate they will easily find out that some papers are missing. And the consequences are severe, Maybe not to much for the officers, but for the foreigner it's maybe some jail time, a heavy fine and "bye bye" do not come back to Thailand for a while. If you don't have the propper papers you are technically braking the law. And it's the same with a Thai drivers license. Even iff the officer gives you a Thai drivers license without you having the propper qualifications it DOESN'T mean that you are "home free". It's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to give the officer at DLT all the papers needed.

Thinking that in Thailand no laws, what so ever, does'n exist is a big mistake. Today Thai authorities are "hunting down" foreigners without a visa, foreigners working without a work permit and foreigners using a company for buying land. So tell me why schouldn't foreigners with a unlawfull Thai drivers license be worried?

No I would not say the same thing about that subject because what you're starting to discuss is clearly illegal, visa's is not the topic of the thread.

Get off your hi-horse Norlund and get over your paranoia about everything and everyone being corrupt in Thailand, obtaining a Thai drivers license is a no risk "must do" for people who follow a simple process and don't try to take short cuts. I'm out of this thread, it's become too silly!

No I would not say the same thing about that subject because what you're starting to discuss is clearly illegal, visa's is not the topic of the thread.

Get off your hi-horse Norlund and get over your paranoia about everything and everyone being corrupt in Thailand, obtaining a Thai drivers license is a no risk "must do" for people who follow a simple process and don't try to take short cuts. I'm out of this thread, it's become too silly!

If you bother to read what I wrote you will see that I don't say anything about corruption.

1. Non Immigrant Visa.

What I tell you is THAI LAW. What you and some others DO NOT understand is that Thailand DO NOT work like the western countries you are all comming from. What I'm telling you it's easy to find proof for on the net after a "few clics". You MUST NOT think that an officer at DLT or Immigration Office is allways doing everything "by the book". Then you or others will sooner or later end up with problems. An officer can do whatever he or she wants to do, and sometimes THEY DO. If the officer tell you that you DON'T need the propper visa or a certification of address at DLT then you don't need it (AT THAT TIME). But it DOESN'T mean that this is THAI LAW and it's gonna happen the next time for you or someone else in this office.

When I had my first Thai drivers license (I don't have one in my native country) the officer asked me if I could drive and I said: not to much. (It's really a funny story). And still he gave me. If I told other foreigners that you don't need driving skills to get a Thai drivers license it certainly would make problems for other foreigners. You HAVE to see the difference between what the officers do and what THAI LAW says and UNDERSTAND that they give you a Thai drivers license or a Thai visa WITHOUT the propper papers. This is just common knowledge for us that has stayed some years in Thailand.

Nothing to say I have told you what I know I am not going to carry your silly argument on get a life grow up and stop being so bloody thick headed try listening to what others have done and don't try to out point with what you see as the bible of Thai law. You are wrong end off. I have been here for a good number of years by the way. As I started the thread and have done what I set out to do ie change my address. Thanks to all the posative replies

Mods you can close this now thanks

Edited by Deepinthailand

• 1 month later...

would be nice if there was a sticky first post that lists all requirements for 

- getting your first Thai driving licence

- renewal of Thai Driving licence

I think for renewal is required:

- passport 

- visa

- valid extension of stay

- certificate of residence residence certificate.pdf

- your old thai driving licence

- health certificate- this I do not know does anybody knows this???

- any other documents???

11 minutes ago, ardsong said:

would be nice if there was a sticky first post that lists all requirements for 

- getting your first Thai driving licence

- renewal of Thai Driving licence

I think for renewal is required:

- passport 

- visa

- valid extension of stay

- certificate of residence residence certificate.pdf

- your old thai driving licence

- health certificate- this I do not know does anybody knows this???

- any other documents???

Depends where you are going, each office, like immigration, has different requirements

On 16/07/2016 at 9:00 PM, Norlund said:

1. Non Immigrant Visa.

Lets not forget the weird driving test upstairs with the lights, steering wheel, brakes and head down looking into some contraption out of the dark ages, with you having to press a buzzer when you see the light, or in my case guess on each occasion, smiling as if I was Thai, then they gave it to me, weird :)