Should tourists to Thailand require a "Letter of Invitation"?

sipi

I have been asked (as recently as two weeks ago) to provide a "letter of introduction" by the Australian DIAC for people visiting Australia from Thailand, fullstop. (but this is none of your business, nor what the thread is about)

The purpose of an invitation letter is to provide evidence that the applicant is a bona fide tourist (in a nutshell). I am neither defending nor attacking these principles.

Anyway, back to my OP...

So are there any disadvantages/ advantages of Thailand introducing such measures?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, additional cost and something that needs to be arranged. I like turning up and getting my 28 days. We already mention where we will stay on the landing card and hotels supposedly take our details and report them or whatever all that is for

I can't see them implementing something like this and making it more difficult to visit

Can you imagine the queues at immigration if this was implemented. About 60% of arrivals fail to fill out their arrival card as it is and desperately scrabble for a pen at the immigration counter as a it is.

The reality is countries that do this tend to do it for 'some countries' which generally means 'not westerners'

I live in Dubai and it's pretty easy for all westerners on entry but I think we have (at least we did) this 'letter of invitation' thing for certain Russian countries and Eastern Europe and it generally means upon booking with the airline get a deal that includes a hotel (usually a cheap, shit hotel)

It takes more time

If anything countries really move away from this kind of thing. I can't see how it'll catch 'nutter' living in Thailand anymore than the current system. If people are coming and overstaying then they're coming and overstaying and they won't be fooled by a letter of invitation as sure as shit a system like this appears they'll be companies providing 'no questions asked' invitations for all sorts of people that want them

If you look on the VFS site, required documents, it mentions a Support document and specifically calls it a letter of introduction.

Nope, people from 36 countries can get an eVisitor visa online for Australia for $20 in a day. No letter of invitation needed.

List of countries here:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/601-

Click on applicants, then "who could get this visa"

Yes, And Thailand is not on that list. Thais cannot get an Evisa. Evisa is for certain countries.

Thai people have to go through VFS in Bangkok to get a different Australian visa, and on the documents required page.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand//pdf/Visitor-Visa-Tourist-Stream-Checklist-050516.pdf

Where someone is supporting your application you should provide a letter of invitation and evidence of your relationship with the person, for example: correspondence (emails, letters, messaging), telephone bills, photographs, money transfers, or evidence of their financial support. o If you are being supported by an Australian Citizen, you must provide evidence of substantial ties to the sponsor if you are not directly related to him or her.

So all Thai tourists to Australia have to be sponsored? What nonsense!

If you look on the VFS site, required documents, it mentions a Support document and specifically calls it a letter of introduction.

Nope, people from 36 countries can get an eVisitor visa online for Australia for $20 in a day. No letter of invitation needed.

List of countries here:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/601-

Click on applicants, then "who could get this visa"

Yes, And Thailand is not on that list. Thais cannot get an Evisa. Evisa is for certain countries.

Thai people have to go through VFS in Bangkok to get a different Australian visa, and on the documents required page.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand//pdf/Visitor-Visa-Tourist-Stream-Checklist-050516.pdf

Where someone is supporting your application you should provide a letter of invitation and evidence of your relationship with the person, for example: correspondence (emails, letters, messaging), telephone bills, photographs, money transfers, or evidence of their financial support. o If you are being supported by an Australian Citizen, you must provide evidence of substantial ties to the sponsor if you are not directly related to him or her.

So all Thai tourists to Australia have to be sponsored? What nonsense!

Letter of invitation is required "If" you are being supported sponsored. Thai tourists to Australia need to show money in the bank and a Thai job to get a tourist Visa. If you dont have money in the bank etc then you need a sponsor. Its not easy for Thais to come to Australia as a tourist.

If this "requirement" came out of Thai immigration or a legislative body it would be appropriately derided as imbecilic. I see no reason to treat it better in this case.

As has been pointed out, Australia does not require such letters for everyone, only some nationalities. If you go shopping for stupid visa requirements and find one "western" country that has one, that does not make it any more legitimate.

Angola has such a requirement for all visitors. It is also nearly devoid of tourists. I am not saying that it's entirely because of this requirement, but it surely hasn't fixed it.

When I visited Russia, a LOI was required. Easily obtained online for $75 or so. I also needed one for my trip to Turkmenistan last month. Again, easily obtained online for a fee. All these do is keep tourists away. Good and bad ones.

A Letter of Invitation is not a part of the Australian tourist visa application and there's no official sponsorship consideration for tourist visas.

If you supply one it might however be considered for other reasons (e.g. reason for travel, proof of accommodation, etc) which may help depending on the applicant's circumstances.

A Letter of Invitation is not a part of the Australian tourist visa application and there's no official sponsorship consideration for tourist visas.

If you supply one it might however be considered for other reasons (e.g. reason for travel, proof of accommodation, etc) which may help depending on the applicant's circumstances.

This is consistent with Thai apologists lying about immigration requirements in other countries to make Thai requirements seem more legitimate.

post-234134-0-89957900-1468545064_thumb.

Edited by Peterw42

Why do you keep posting the same nonsense? It says 'where someone is supporting your application', as in "only if someone is sponsoring your application". A well off thai that can prove finances and has a decent job here to go back to does not need a letter of invitation. A bar girl going to visit her "boyfriend" in Australia who cannot prove income does need a letter of invitation, because her sponsor is effectively promising to support her while in Australia.

Why do you keep posting the same nonsense? It says 'where someone is supporting your application', as in "only if someone is sponsoring your application". A well off thai that can prove finances and has a decent job here to go back to does not need a letter of invitation. A bar girl going to visit her "boyfriend" in Australia who cannot prove income does need a letter of invitation, because her sponsor is effectively promising to support her while in Australia.

I have a feeling that some are either just deliberately misreading or misunderstanding what a tourist visa is, of just being obtuse!

I am posting the "nonsense", to point out that the original statement is not accurate .

>>>>A Letter of Invitation is not a part of the Australian tourist visa application and there's no official sponsorship consideration for tourist visas.<<<<<

Edited by Peterw42

I am posting the "nonsense", to point out that the original statement is not accurate .

>>>>A Letter of Invitation is not a part of the Australian tourist visa application and there's no official sponsorship consideration for tourist visas.<<<<<

It's not part of of the process for people from 36 countries and for people that can prove their finances. No one ever said it can't be asked for in some cases. Similarly no one would have a problem with Thailand asking for a letter of invitation for people from countries that have a high rate of people working illegally here (eg Nigeria, which is not on the visa exempt list for Thailand). Already if you go to get a 60 day tourist visa outside Thailand rather than a visa exemption on arrival then you can be asked to prove finances even if you're from a western country.