Driving license for scooter do i need one?

OP needs a motorcycle license.

OP can get a thai one

OR

use his UK motorcycle license along with the international permit

OR

use his UK car license along with international permit as long as the UK car license has a motorcycle endorsement applicable to the scooter driven in in Thailand (category A1 on the international permit)

IF OP has a UK motorcycle license or a UK license with M/C endorsement, then he can quite easily have it converted to a Thai motorcycle driving license (full, no limit on cc/power).

You need either Intl drivers license or a Thai one. Or you can pay as you go at the traffic checks.

Until there's an accident and his insurance is void.

Get the Thai license. If he's got a M/C endorsement on his UK license, it should be eezy peezy, bypassing the written and driving tests.

If not, have a look at the knotheads out in traffic and figure a few of them passed the test, so how hard could it be?

Edited by impulse

You need either Intl drivers license or a Thai one. Or you can pay as you go at the traffic checks.

then it's bad if the insurance ignores international agreements.;)

, so how hard could it be?

For me it's not to hard. But I am only came

Give all paper and Pass two test near 1 hour and go after come back pass drive test.

But now I hear need spell one day . And not every city can get address proof for 1hour.

So for some guys its can be hard lost one day or more.

If you're living here, you need to get Thai licenses. Not "need" to, it's the best choice in the long run.

Things change but a couple of years ago I spent two full days getting both the auto and the motorcycle license two different licenses. I had to go back the second day to pass the computer questions portion of the test. Taking the same test back to back the first time, resulted in me knowing the answers to the convoluted, unnecessarily difficult questions, that I passed directly after taking the one I failed, came back in the next day and aced the same test I'd taken the day before. Here in Phuket, you have to make an appointment and be there before 8 AM or get another day.

As an aside, a day spent watching Thai girls trying to parallel park is not a day wasted.

The Thai Driver's license is valuable for a few reasons:

1. In most traffic stops, you breeze through. That's what they want to see.

2. It's also an ID in Thailand. You no longer need a passport for most things, like checking into a hotel room or boarding a flight in-country.

The other day I was stopped here in Phuket at a stop and showed my Thai license to the BIB. I was on the bike and I didn't realize I had my car license with me. I thought that I always kept the car license in the car (I don't drive it often). So, I had the wrong license with me and the cop was a jerk and wanted to write me up...and I was local. It's 300 baht, I don't really care but I was acting indignant. I finally said (this was my last appeal), "Come on, Man!" He let me go.

I switched licenses back when I get home. I was hoping the same cop would stop me again so I could say, "See!"

Edited by Pinot

Surely no license gives the insurance the 'out' to say you shouldn't have been driving without a license therefore we won't cover you.

OP please get a correct Thai license.

UK license not acceptable.

Get a license so you are covered by insurance, do not listen to crazy people saying, if you get stopped offer a bribe.

I had a serious motorbike accident, first thing the police asked my wife was has he got a license, answer yes.

Police could not ask me as i was in a coma.

OK not knowing your full situation, here we go again this is usually the way, if you have a full UK drivers licence that is a photo-card type with the motorcycle category you can use it up to 90 days in Thailand but carry a copy of your passport and page of entry date.

With a UK drivers licence that is a photo-card type do not need a IDP, some say get one anyway to save aggro but l don't agree my son on visits has never had a problem being stopped in many a check point.

The best thing to do for sure when living in Thailand or coming on long stays is to get a Thai DL's at a DLT office is easily acquired with your UK licence.

While l have been writing this post there many who post western ideas who don't really understand, insurance is one and they don't realize even yet that it's vehicles that are insured in Thailand getting DL licence makes no difference, that will be on you alone.

you have a full UK drivers licence that is a photo-card type with the motorcycle category you can use it up to 90 days in Thailand but carry a copy of your passport and page of entry date.

Good luck explaining that to the BIB at a traffic stop.

you have a full UK drivers licence that is a photo-card type with the motorcycle category you can use it up to 90 days in Thailand but carry a copy of your passport and page of entry date.

Good luck explaining that to the BIB at a traffic stop.

Nothing to do with good-luck as long as you have carried out the requirements.

Stopped at check points quite few times with my son riding & driving with his UK licence Nth & Sth over the years more so since the army took charge some ask to see some don't, never a problem.

Only if the police stop you or you have an accident.

Same as everywhere else in the world.

With respect regarding DL's, accidents and insurance, Thailand is not the same as e.g. England and many other places in the world. smile.png

The insurance for the ride 'may' quote what license is required for a rider/driver to use it. Hence my 'small print' thing....We must be careful out there...

About 10 years back I got pulled, English license, IDP as well, the guy wanted to fine me for no Thai license, luckily Mrs.Trans was on the back and gave him some verbal abuse....laugh.png ....We just drove off....tongue.png

Yes buddy and anyone can ask what's covered when getting different types of insurances but none of the ones for my motorbike is there anything written about DL's it still covers the vehicle more than the basic gov compulsory one.

Cars insurance taken out with name drivers only may have DL clauses added maybe dunno.

Going back 11 years got stopped a couple of times in Bangkok and at the time only had my old UK paper licence to show, Mrs gave Mr Policeman it to look saying in Thai it's a special international world DL. laugh.png one took 200 baht the another time just waved us on. wai2.gif

Come on you must have like we do here kids riding around on mum or dad's scooter/moped or whatever, the vehicle is still insured ain't it. rolleyes.gifwhistling.giflaugh.png

OK not knowing your full situation, here we go again this is usually the way, if you have a full UK drivers licence that is a photo-card type with the motorcycle category you can use it up to 90 days in Thailand but carry a copy of your passport and page of entry date.

With a UK drivers licence that is a photo-card type do not need a IDP, some say get one anyway to save aggro but l don't agree my son on visits has never had a problem being stopped in many a check point.

The best thing to do for sure when living in Thailand or coming on long stays is to get a Thai DL's at a DLT office is easily acquired with your UK licence.

While l have been writing this post there many who post western ideas who don't really understand, insurance is one and they don't realize even yet that it's vehicles that are insured in Thailand getting DL licence makes no difference, that will be on you alone.

The insurance for the ride 'may' quote what license is required for a rider/driver to use it. Hence my 'small print' thing....We must be careful out there...

About 10 years back I got pulled, English license, IDP as well, the guy wanted to fine me for no Thai license, luckily Mrs.Trans was on the back and gave him some verbal abuse....laugh.png ....We just drove off....tongue.png

Where have "small print" about THAI dl?

You got some special incurance?

:)

Pc

You not surprised me.

Tranc only can verbal obuse in back person ..

Not sure can say Mr for kind person who verbal obuse in back..

I was referring to the ever popular "pay as you go at the traffic checks". Sounds appealing since it's actually possible and pretty cheap here, especially to tourists who rent one even though they have never ridden a scooter in their life. But that plan falls apart when the stuff hits the fan.

To the OP, don't worry about a license, just buy the scooter and while you're at it don't even bother with insurance.

When you fall off the the thing you can always come on TV and plead for money to get you back to UK for treatment so you don't end up with no legs.

That was the joke part.

The serious part follows.

Get a Thai license, it will save you time money and heartache, it will cost 30 minutes of your time plus a few hundred baht and you will save lots of baht you don't have to pay every time you are stopped.

Edited by overherebc

To the OP, don't worry about a license, just buy the scooter and while you're at it don't even bother with insurance.

When you fall off the the thing you can always come on TV and plead for money to get you back to UK for treatment so you don't end up with no legs.

That was the joke part.

The serious part follows.

Get a Thai license, it will save you time money and heartache, it will cost 30 minutes of your time plus a few hundred baht and you will save lots of baht you don't have to pay every time you are stopped.

Yes it's good idea get Thai DL.

But I am sure it much more time then 30 min.

And do not see any problem drive with UK DL.

I was referring to the ever popular "pay as you go at the traffic checks". Sounds appealing since it's actually possible and pretty cheap here, especially to tourists who rent one even though they have never ridden a scooter in their life. But that plan falls apart when the stuff hits the fan.
So what problem with UK DL then accident ?

So what problem with UK DL then accident ?

Because a UK license along with an International license which is really just a lot of pages with translations of what you can drive, is legally valid for only 90 days. ie for tourists.

If you are on a multi Non O and go out/in every 90 days then that is a grey area, but I wouldn't rely on it if the accident you are in is expensive.

I can't understand why anyone can't spend 1 day and 155 baht to get a Thai license. Well ok, maybe they listen to the average expat who feels that he is from UK or USA or an EU country and believes that he is so superior that Thai license laws are beneath him. FIL called them 'tin gods' note lower case letters.

Just go get a Thai license, it has many uses as well as making you legal.

CAN I USE MY FOREIGN DRIVING LICENSE IN THAILAND?

The police will under no circumstances accept this and also some insurance companies don't accept it. In almost every insurance policy it says that the driver must hold a valid driver's license. And a valid driver's license is a Thai or an international one (Actually, if you stay longer than 3 consecutive months in Thailand the international license should be converted into a Thai driving license).

Source: http://insureinthailand.com/auto_verzekering.aspx

It only makes sense that I can't hand my 12 year old kid the keys and expect the insurance to pay out in case of an accident. Same as back home in Texas, where they also insure cars and not drivers.

Because a UK license along with an International license which is really just a lot of pages with translations of what you can drive, is legally valid for only 90 days. ie for tourists.

If you are on a multi Non O and go out/in every 90 days then that is a grey area, but I wouldn't rely on it if the accident you are in is expensive.

I can't understand why anyone can't spend 1 day and 155 baht to get a Thai license. Well ok, maybe they listen to the average expat who feels that he is from UK or USA or an EU country and believes that he is so superior that Thai license laws are beneath him. FIL called them 'tin gods' note lower case letters.

1.Were have any note about "tourist"?

2. Not every where in Thailand adress proof its be free. So its not only 155 B. And even in some place not same day can get adress proof.

3. What superior not superior? What Thai driver license? Thai have few agrement about accept another coutry DL.

Nit have any LOW about MUST be Thai DL.

Have just some police instruction about Internetiona Driver Permit.

But for DL from country Vienna Convention on Road Traffic even not must have!!

For country Geneva Convention on Road Traffic. Yes its can be

It may be requesting local authorities. Its means police can stop you and not allow you to drive.

But its still you be alloved drive for international Incurance company.

I am start talking about accident and incurance.

So

I would be interested to see what international insurance company give a written refusal to pay under the insurance contract arguing that the driver's license of the country of the Vienna Convention does not give the right to drive vehicles respective category driving license in Thailand or the same driver's license from the country of the Geneva Convention with IDP.

;)

CAN I USE MY FOREIGN DRIVING LICENSE IN THAILAND?

The police will under no circumstances accept this and also some insurance companies don't accept it. In almost every insurance policy it says that the driver must hold a valid driver's license. And a valid driver's license is a Thai or an international one (Actually, if you stay longer than 3 consecutive months in Thailand the international license should be converted into a Thai driving license).

Source: http://insureinthailand.com/auto_verzekering.aspx

It only makes sense that I can't hand my 12 year old kid the keys and expect the insurance to pay out in case of an accident. Same as back home in Texas, where they also insure cars and not drivers.

I believe that the reference should be to the laws, international agreements. rather than an unknown Comercial site that expresses their opinion is not referring on any law.

But I could be wrong, and someone else on the personal opinion of the commercial site without justification laws. It may be the most important source of information. and reinforced concrete argument

Edited by ardokano

2. Not every where in Thailand adress proof its be free. So its not only 155 B. And even in some place not same day can get adress proof.

3. What superior not superior? What Thai driver license? Thai have few agrement about accept another coutry DL.

It may be requesting local authorities. Its means police can stop you and not allow you to drive.

So

I would be interested to see what international insurance company give a written refusal to pay under the insurance contract arguing that the driver's license of the country of the Vienna Convention does not give the right to drive vehicles respective category driving license in Thailand or the same driver's license from the country of the Geneva Convention with IDP.

wink.png

Different countries may have different laws that allow different times of validity for your own license with an IDP. It's up to you to conform to these laws. Your country laws don't apply.

In Thailand it's 90 days.

IDP's have a lifespan of a year .. However, I think you will find that they only have validity in a country for a certain length of time, 3 or 6 months - not the whole year.

The police will just accept them because they don't particularly care and aren't going to start digging around, but if you bought a bike 9 months ago and are involved in an accident it's a clear give away that you have over run the validity of your IDP.

IDP's have a lifespan of a year .. However, I think you will find that they only have validity in a country for a certain length of time, 3 or 6 months - not the whole year.

The police will just accept them because they don't particularly care and aren't going to start digging around, but if you bought a bike 9 months ago and are involved in an accident it's a clear give away that you have over run the validity of your IDP.

1. IDP need only for Geneva convention.

2. When you buy car, bike not important.even 9 year ago

3. Please understand insurance,police it's TWO different thinks.

Police may request IDP , but the insurance company can not deny a driver's license from another country.

So

wink.png

Different countries may have different laws that allow different times of validity for your own license with an IDP. It's up to you to conform to these laws. Your country laws don't apply.

In Thailand it's 90 days.

Have international agreements . Yes in Thailand it's 90days allowed drive with another country DL.

So not have any problems with insurance. Of course if you stay not more 90days one entry...

I believe a full Thai license in the UK can be used for one year then you must take a UK test, so the laws are out there, but the biggy is what is written in the small print of insurances here or there. As for here, I don't read Thai so god knows what it says, but l do know only me and Mrs.Trans are allowed to drive it and the vehicle covered...smile.png

Again you wrong... Test can take after 1.5 year , one year Thai driver license after can drive 6 month on Provisional driving license. And just after MUST take UK test.

What vehicle covered? For car and scooter, bike it's different terms..

And have different insurance.

causing harm to a third party, the medical expenses, the cost of lawyers. All this may well be from another country insurance.