Bootable USB pen drive for both UEFI and MBR?

bendejo

For years I've had a multi-boot USB pen drive that has been my all-around maintenance and disaster-recovery toolkit. I used a program called YUMI to build it; YUMI was mainly created to be a Linux installer, and uses grub for boot selection in MBR.

Now with my new Win 10 laptop I have to deal with UEFI, and a whole new bunch of utilities that boot in UEFI. I still have a few MBR things I'd like to keep. A few months ago I tried a few utilities for allowing multi-boot for both UEFI and MBR. Nothing did what I was looking for, and spent a lot of time tweaking configurations and reformatting pen drives. Not fun.
In the next few weeks I'm going to give it another attempt, so I'll ask: anyone out there succeeded in getting something like this together? Yeah, I know there's a bunch of such things out there, but I'd like to hear from someone who has personally put something like this together. My laptops BIOS allows me to choose whether to boot the pen drive in UEFI or MBR.

I would second the Rufus suggestion. It seems to be the best utility for that purpose at the moment.

No problem with UEFI and MBR but the complication will come when you need to install with GPT partitions. I don't think it's possible to have one boot device for all.

post-215766-0-05827900-1468999933_thumb.

Thanks guys. Yeah, rufus was the one I had my hopes on in the first go-round. Ran into setup problems and spent a day chasing it to no avail. Found a few bugs, my karma as a QA veteran.

Yes, I decided on the two-pendrive solution, With 32Gb drives selling for under US$10 I can even keep my Win10 backup (app. 20Gb) on one. I'll start diddling around again when I get bored enough; in the meantime I have a collection of old pendrives, each with it's own UEFI bootable utility. One of them is a 1Gb purchased over 10 years ago for a mere US$40 (a bargain at the time!) and spent those years on my key chain in my pocket.

Edited by bendejo