Video: Just another day going the wrong way on Thai roads

webfact

Video: Just another day going the wrong way on Thai roads

s4p.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A video clip of a motorcyclist coming a cropper on a road in Nonthaburi got thousands of online views and even made the national news earlier today.

The clip shows a man without a helmet trying to squeeze through approaching traffic while going the wrong way, reported Thairath. He hits a wing mirror of a van and comes off apparently hurting his arm.

The dash cam footage was captured and posted on the page of Ek Muangnon and later shared to the popular fan page site of Youlike (Clip Det) where it was viewed 100,000 times creating a lot of online comment.

The accident occurred on the Bang Kruay - Sai Noi Road in Bang Bua Thong on Tuesday. Thai Rath reporters caught up with the poster who said that motorcyclists in that area often go the wrong way as they hunt out places to buy roadside food.

He said the man on the bike looked a bit tipsy and had hurt his arm in the accident. The police were not involved. The van driver called the insurance company to settle the matter after his wing mirror was broken.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ5yRi6uR90

Wow, what model "dash cam" has the 'look-like-hand-held-cam' mode and can swivel to follow action like that?

Guess its a helmet cam or someone installed a dash cam on his helmet which raises the questions how he powers it.

Either way, stupid to drive against traffic and even more stupiter to do it while drunk.

Has anyone here ever seen someone busted by police for driving against traffic, or riding motorcycles on sidewalks? It is soooo common I would guess most Thais might think it is legal.

Not busted but i've seen a policeman pointing at all the wrong way drivers after which they immediatly turned 180 degree's.

The policeman had to be very carefull though because cardrivers almost pushed him of the road like they always do. Motordrivers are lesser humans in Thailand. They get less respect then soidogs do.

why is this news?

it is the order of the day for fair bit of smaller

traffic to flow against mainstream.

the way he took the tumble is quite comic, though.

Yup and then we have the RTP who tells us everyday that all motocy drivers have to keep lept on the road! tingtong krab! If i drive frontal into a driver like him my insurance-lawyers will make him bankrupt for the rest of his life.

These are so-called ghost drivers.
From this species there are quite a lot in Thailand.
For many, the route to the next U-turn is too far.
Especially at night, when they driving on the highway - on the wrong side -, some without any lights, others with high beam lights, then you get really pissed from them.
Somehow
you get used to the dross.

Have since 1,5 years a dash cam in my car.

Has anyone here ever seen someone busted by police for driving against traffic, or riding motorcycles on sidewalks? It is soooo common I would guess most Thais might think it is legal.

I'm with you on the ' legal ' aspect. I was told once by a Thai lady that since the motorcycle lanes on either side of the highways were for them they could travel in any direction they wanted.