Academic group offers to join educational campaign on draft charter

webfact

Academic group offers to join educational campaign on draft charter

593_Academic-group-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of academics has asked the Election Commission for participation in the ongoing campaign to educate the public about the draft constitution and for the right to stage public discussions to air divergent views on the draft.

The group, led by Associate Professor Anusorn Unnano, dean of the sociology and humanities faculty of Thammasat University, met with election commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn to propose their participation in the campaign aimed to encourage voters to turn up to vote in the referendum.

In proposing their participation, the academic group has demanded that participants in their public discussions should be allowed to air opposing views and that the participants should be immune to legal actions and that the campaign should be free.

Responding to the group’s proposal, Somchai assured that participants in discussions would be immune to legal actions even if they voice views opposing to those of the government and is ready to testify to police in defence of the panelists.

He went on saying that he would the issue about opposing views for discussion at a meeting of the EC and the Constitution Drafting Committee today.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/academic-group-offers-join-educational-campaign-draft-charter/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-15

Can anyone imagine this group being allowed to take part except under such restrictive conditions they couldn't possibly agree ?

As the ' parrot ' pointed out in #1 the govts' attitude is quite clear and in no way will that be changed. Plenty of flimsy excuses available if they even bother.

Somchai should check with the general before making statements like this.

It's been made clear from the start that from the media down to the students arrested that if you speak out or protest against the draft there will be consequences.

glad you've got a firm grip on the situation

Somchai should check with the general before making statements like this.

It's been made clear from the start that from the media down to the students arrested that if you speak out or protest against the draft there will be consequences.

glad you've got a firm grip on the situation

Yes, he does. If you don't agree then what are your arguments? I know it's difficult to defend the indefensible but that hasn't stopped you from trying in the past.

And how about answering this question (I have simplified it for you);

Tell me, which of the 19 coups and attempted coups convinced you that a junta is the right thing for the country??

Some questions:

The referendum permits to vote yes or no?

My basic logic of an homo sapiens sapiens tells me:

1. If the vote permits a no, then all mouvements to block the referendum

are antidemocratic and can be persecuted, I hope only for ignorance.

2. If the referendum doesn't allow a 'no', then the mouvements

are right to be against.

The Brexit shows the way.