Banglamung, army talk flood-disaster planning

Rimmer

Banglamung, army talk flood-disaster planning

1198-n15disasters.jpg

PATTAYA:--Banglamung District and military began mapping out disaster-relief plans should severe flooding strike this rainy season.

Col. Yuthichai Tiernthong, deputy commander at the 14th Military Circle, and District Chief Chakorn Kanja­wattana led the meeting attended by local authorities, Royal Thai Navy, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department and private organizations July 1.

The purpose of the meeting was to collaborate with various agencies and organizations to counter natural disasters, especially floods from the heavy rain showers.

Chakorn said last year’s tropical depression Vamco was devastating. It also had an impact on tourism and the main problem was that the drainage system couldn’t handle the massive amount of water. That issue must be looked into, he said.

Acting Pattaya Mayor Chanapong Sriviset said drainage tunnels were too small and the city’s wastewater-treatment plants can handle only 65,000 cu. meters of water a day, about 15,000 cu. meters less than needed.

Sawoksima Annantayakorn, head of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said Pattaya was hit badly by storms three times. Many properties were damaged and lower-lying locations were under water. However, the department has already jumped on the case and come up with three strategies.

The first plan is to direct most floodwater along the railway road into canals, preventing it from rushing into town. Second is to locate seven pumps in heavily flooded areas, and finally allocate more money to buy more pumps.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/news/banglamung-army-talk-flood-disaster-planning-142116

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2016-07-15 footer_n.gif

We got flooded out by the Vamco storm last year

they haven't come and dredged the canal that drains towards the sea in the Ambassador hotel area for quite a while

post-2109-0-37598000-1442564467_thumb.jp

so when the rain does hit I suppose we are in for more of this

post-2109-0-85319000-1468568649_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-78975600-1468568608_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-08828600-1468568684_thumb.jp

some unlucky residents at the Baan Balina village where flooded for more than a week !!!

time to stock up with sand bags and renew the insurance policies.........

It's always talk talk and little action. The same problems arise year in and year out, yet little is ever done. What is it the authorities do not understand? whistling.gif

Where there is a will there is a way, but in LOS it appears so often there is no will, therefore no way. Sad really. sad.png

Wasn't this supposed to have been sorted out by the previous government.

I remember that a large sum of money was allocated for it. I wonder if there is any left?

Indeed. I do notice that the budget for the relief centres is 300 million baht...! Unless my maths is deceiving me that 9 million USD,,, Thats a lot for blankets, food and juice.

Anyway, it seems very late to be discussing this issue, should this not have been after the last rainy season?

I hope they do improve things though, be good to not have to stay in through fear of getting stuck somewhere for hours and hours on end, been there, done that.

According to (District Chief) Chakorn, last September's tropical depression Vamco was devastating.

The main problem, " ... the drainage system couldn’t handle the massive amount of water..."

The solution, almost a year later, "... That issue must be looked into ... "

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious!

post-209291-0-50969300-1468636795_thumb.

John. Take a look behind the village. Work started last week! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I did have a look and yes they have done some dredging... will it be enough ? water is already quite high.

post-2109-0-54633200-1468897392_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-72663400-1468897440_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-77919000-1468897519_thumb.jp

there are more 2 or 3 management companies in our estate, some are more diligent than others.

post-2109-0-41619100-1468897580_thumb.jp

no work done here yet

post-2109-0-73234400-1468897669_thumb.jp