Diesel Pickup Driving Questions

pistonpilot

I inherited "father's" Mitsubishi Strada Grandis 2004 - not sure the engine size. I've never driven on the right side of the car, nor have I ever driven in Thailand. I've been on a Honda wave for the last 3 months.

I hate motorbikes. I'm loving the pickup - not quite the standard I'm used to in the USA as my last car was a Lexus, but it is much better than the Honda Wave.

I have never driven a diesel either and would like some tips to get the best mileage from it as speed is not paramount.

The most important is the safety of myself and family, and not killing any Thai idiots who despite their attempts to kill themselves they have so far failed and will not be able to do it under my pickup.

Am I safe in assuming that being quick to move up the gears and keeping a light foot will save fuel? What is the sweet spot for highway? How many kmh? How about running down Sukhumvit. I was at the mercy of all the Thai *@##*$#$* and Farangs who think they are hot shit, but now I can slow them down if I want to so I don't mind going below the traffic norm if the norm is outrageous.

What do I need to do to the engine - services etc .. it has 24,000 miles and probably never had a service, I'm sure "father" only changed the oil once in a while. It runs smoothly but does seem to lack speed in 1st gear - but I'm used to a gasoline engine.

All comments welcome.

PP

I inherited "father's" Mitsubishi Strada Grandis 2004 - not sure the engine size. I've never driven on the right side of the car, nor have I ever driven in Thailand. I've been on a Honda wave for the last 3 months.

I hate motorbikes. I'm loving the pickup - not quite the standard I'm used to in the USA as my last car was a Lexus, but it is much better than the Honda Wave.

I have never driven a diesel either and would like some tips to get the best mileage from it as speed is not paramount.

The most important is the safety of myself and family, and not killing any Thai idiots who despite their attempts to kill themselves they have so far failed and will not be able to do it under my pickup.

Am I safe in assuming that being quick to move up the gears and keeping a light foot will save fuel? What is the sweet spot for highway? How many kmh? How about running down Sukhumvit. I was at the mercy of all the Thai *@##*$#$* and Farangs who think they are hot shit, but now I can slow them down if I want to so I don't mind going below the traffic norm if the norm is outrageous.

What do I need to do to the engine - services etc .. it has 24,000 miles and probably never had a service, I'm sure "father" only changed the oil once in a while. It runs smoothly but does seem to lack speed in 1st gear - but I'm used to a gasoline engine.

All comments welcome.

PP

Speed limit on the Sukhumvit is 90Kph believe it or not :D

The 24,000 Miles you quote may well be the read from the odometer, if that's the case it will be 24,000 Kilometres equalling less than 15,000 miles.

Change your engine oil and filter every 5000 Kms, maybe take it to a Mitsubishi main dealer for a service and check up now, then stick to the 5000Kms engine oil and filter change.

It will lack speed in 1st gear, it's a pick up, not a Porsche. :o

It does have a service - I have the book with all service coupons intact. It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma as to what was done and what was not. I guess I'll know after I've run a full tank to see how many kilometers I get. I do know it just had an oil change and filter for the ride from Nong Khai to Pattaya.

I move through the gears rapidly - I can be in fifth gear doing 60kmh on Sukuvhit and it feels ok.

Please, I'm still getting used to having car on my left when there was nothing before.

Whomever came up with the idea to put the steering on the right was a jackass. We (USA) invented the car and made it affordable, who decided to modify it?

All comments welcome.

PP

Speed limit on the Sukhumvit is 90Kph believe it or not :D

The 24,000 Miles you quote may well be the read from the odometer, if that's the case it will be 24,000 Kilometres equalling less than 15,000 miles.

Change your engine oil and filter every 5000 Kms, maybe take it to a Mitsubishi main dealer for a service and check up now, then stick to the 5000Kms engine oil and filter change.

It will lack speed in 1st gear, it's a pick up, not a Porsche. :o

You're right, I wrote miles when I meant kilometers. It equals 14,900 miles - which is nothing. The last standard shift car I had was a Subaru GL in 1983 and as I recall it had some get up and go in first gear.

It's amazing that after 20 years, driving a stick came right back to me and it didn't even bother me that it was on my left side.

Now if I can only get used to the turn signal being on the right.

It can be quite annoying when you want to make a signal and end up turning on the windscreen wipers.

As a UK national who attempted to drive in America, I can empathise with the situation, but just give it a couple of months and it will start to feel normal.

P.S. ..... I think that driving on whichever side of the road has little to do with the invention of the horse-less carriage :o

P.S. ..... I think that driving on whichever side of the road has little to do with the invention of the horse-less carriage :o

Interesting

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/dri...0the%20left.htm

Particularly Italy, who changed sides mid-century, but not everywhere so you ended up with cities like Rome still driving on the left whilst the rest of the country drove on the right, scary.

Whomever came up with the idea to put the steering on the right was a jackass. We (USA) invented the car and made it affordable, who decided to modify it?

Er, I think not sir:-

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aacarsgasa.htm

Yes Henry made it affordable, but he most definately did NOT invent it (nor did any other American).

To all US citizens PLEASE stop stealing credit for inventions that were not made in the US (like Radar, the jet engine, hovercraft etc.) plenty of good stuff has come out of the US. So why not take credit for things like MacDonalds, The Dukes of Hazzard, nuclear (or is that 'nucular') weapons etc

Septic bash over, awaiting Brit bashing :o:D

It can be quite annoying when you want to make a signal and end up turning on the windscreen wipers.

As a UK national who attempted to drive in America, I can empathise with the situation, but just give it a couple of months and it will start to feel normal.

It took me one hour. However, I still get in the car and reach over my shoulder to the left for a shoulder belt that is not there. I also sometimes try to get in the passenger side.

I will tell, it is a lot simpler than flying right seat in an airplane. Gobs simpler.

We invented the car that everyone drives now. It might be an invention by someone else, but we perfected it, mass produced it, and made so everyone could drive one.

PP

To all US citizens PLEASE stop stealing credit for inventions that were not made in the US (like Radar, the jet engine, hovercraft etc.) plenty of good stuff has come out of the US. So why not take credit for things like MacDonalds, The Dukes of Hazzard, nuclear (or is that 'nucular') weapons etc

Septic bash over, awaiting Brit bashing

So it wasn't us that invented the car afterall. I think the Germans invented the jet engine which is useful and it was a German who also invented the diesel engine (Rudolf Diesel). Yes we did come up with atomic weapons but we were helped by a very famous German who became a US citizen later on (Einstein). We learned a lot from the Europeans and we even hang onto that old, British measurement system while the rest of the world has gone metric.

Best fuel economy on a mits 2004 is about 57mph, i got about 23 miles per gallon. 15-19 in busy traffic. (whatever that is in KPH) In the uk i have an mits 2005 Animal and i fitted a vegetable oil convertion kit. Saves money, saves the world, and doesn't damage the car either. Used but filtered veg oil is fine, doesn't have to be new.

We (USA) invented the car and made it affordable, who decided to modify it?

it was invented by germans.

the americans took the invention and have been trying to destroy it ever since with their poorly designed , poorly put together , unreliable and wasteful machines that few admire and fewer want to buy.

e.g. the pontiac vibe

e.g. the edsel

Meanwhile, to lever us back on topic.

Drive your diesel like you would any manual transmission, don't let it run out of revs (you'll be changing up earlier than in a petrol vehicle).

If you find 1st is too low, try starting in second, remember the truck is geared to get a ton or so of mangos moving, with just you and the missus on board she'll start just fine in second.

Meanwhile, to lever us back on topic.

Drive your diesel like you would any manual transmission, don't let it run out of revs (you'll be changing up earlier than in a petrol vehicle).

If you find 1st is too low, try starting in second, remember the truck is geared to get a ton or so of mangos moving, with just you and the missus on board she'll start just fine in second.

That is very good advice as I just discovered this on my own. I was out tonight and stopped in second gear and forgot to change to 1st. It felt the same. I'll have to see how much of an incline it needs before I have to switch to 1st gear, but I'll use second from now on. I've been switching gears when it hits about 2000 rpm. It seems to make a winding sound - like a top when I go over 2000 rpm in anything lower than 4th gear.

Not driven a Grandis, what's the red line?

I aim at changing up at about 1/2 - 2/3 max revs. 2k seems a little low, depends what you're doing though, trundling down Suk at 800 RPM will be fine but I think you may changing up too early for highway driving.

Your whining sound may be the turbo winding up in which case let it rev to 3k or so for maximum go :o

Not driven a Grandis, what's the red line?

I aim at changing up at about 1/2 - 2/3 max revs. 2k seems a little low, depends what you're doing though, trundling down Suk at 800 RPM will be fine but I think you may changing up too early for highway driving.

Your whining sound may be the turbo winding up in which case let it rev to 3k or so for maximum go :o

It is a Mitsubishi Strada 2.8 GL - I don't think it is a turbo diesel. The red line is up in the 5000 or 6000 rpm range. If it is a turbo I'll be surprised.

How would I know? Oh, and someone is thinking just ask PAW, but paw only bought and tricked it up like a Mexican Bus coming out of Tijuana. He doesn't know a thing about it.

Edited by pistonpilot

You're right Crossy, it must be turbocharged and I'm hearing the turbo kick in. Okay - tomorrow we shall see what it can do. I'll assume that once the turbo kicks in my gas mileage gets blown to hel_l.

Do I even need the turbo unless I'm trying to merge into the rightmost lane on Sukhumvit with a double decker bus barreling towards me doing 140kmh?

Shifting to a higher gear at 2000 rpm, the turbo probably never even kicks in, especially since you're probably not putting your foot down (less than half throttle). This is funny: my little non-charged motorcycle engine idles around 1200 rpm, and I try to keep it between 4000 and 10,000 at all times. And it's a four-stroke with very mild camshaft!

Fuel mileage is not the most important thing. My pickup has a gasoline 1.6 engine, and my partner drives it like you do, like most Thai grandmothers drive motorcycles. Don't be surprised if you get passed by an aggressively driven VW old Beetle. At least you're safe in the car.

I still turn on the windshield wipers to make turn signals. After three months of occasional driving.

Septic bash over, awaiting Brit bashing

So it wasn't us that invented the car afterall. I think the Germans invented the jet engine which is useful and it was a German who also invented the diesel engine (Rudolf Diesel). Yes we did come up with atomic weapons but we were helped by a very famous German who became a US citizen later on (Einstein). We learned a lot from the Europeans and we even hang onto that old, British measurement system while the rest of the world has gone metric.

Sorry to go off topic, but I really don't like misinformation.

The Jet Engine.

Atomic weapons.

Good old Albert

Einstein's input to the creation of nuclear power/weapons was a letter to President Roosevelt urging him to look closely at research being done by two Hungarians.

I'll let someone else get this back on topic, as I drive a saloon car that doesn't run on diesel. (great fuel economy though) :o

Shifting to a higher gear at 2000 rpm, the turbo probably never even kicks in, especially since you're probably not putting your foot down (less than half throttle). This is funny: my little non-charged motorcycle engine idles around 1200 rpm, and I try to keep it between 4000 and 10,000 at all times. And it's a four-stroke with very mild camshaft!

Are you able to translate the above into American English?

I would buy a diesel pickup any day if we had the money....considering how overpriced regular cars are in Thailand I think the pickups offer the best for the money. Diesels are filthy, but they do run longer than gas engines and can run much harder. With a manual transmission the vehicle would last even longer.

Actually diesels have come a long way from those from even a decade ago. They are cleaner and much quieter. The newer diesels here in the US can't even run on most of the diesel you find at the gas stations because the older higher sulfur fuel will foul sensors and the catalytic converter.

Actually diesels have come a long way from those from even a decade ago. They are cleaner and much quieter.

I'd go along with that,

You don't see Turbo diesel Toyota Fortuners belching out black smoke as they hurtle past you at 170 kph +........... :o

Edited by Maigo6

Er, I think not sir:-

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aacarsgasa.htm

Yes Henry made it affordable, but he most definately did NOT invent it (nor did any other American).

Septic bash over, awaiting Brit bashing :o:D

As regarding stick-shifts....don't change gear too soon, give the engine enough rpm to take off in the next gear....on the Strada that is somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand. It will rev easily up to 4k but with little or no benefit. They are an extremely slow vehicle, unless you have a later model turbo. If you have make sure you get the oil change NOW!.

As for LHD v RHD...I did a bit on this for my degree several years ago, and was surprised to find that about 40% of the world's roads are RHD (drive on the left) this is the original side. The change was brought about largely after the French revolution when all the "old" measurements were thrown out. There is also a connection with the large bullock train carts in France and USA.

HOWEVER originally most cars in the states were RHD! It was only 1908 that ford started to produce LHD cars as a safety idea. I believe if you look at some of the silent comedies you will notice this....

And as for the jet engine - well what about Frank Whittle of Lutterworth?????? He invented a jet engine which was fitted to the Gloucester Meteor which was the only jet to see regular albeit belated service in WW2. The Messerschmitt was never produced in sufficient numbers to have an effect.

The problem with inventions is that often people get similar ideas at the same time in different places.

The Saturn rockets are of course developed from the German V2 from Germany (WW2).

If one looks at automobile development it becomes obvious that almost everything concerned with the automobile was invented in Europe mainly France and Germany in the 19th century....a look at the list of American contributions is almost comical....winking indicators, parking meters, fins and I believe the only significant mechanical contribution is overdrive and the automatic gearbox...but I’m not even sure about that...oh yes and drive-in banking.....etc etc

Edited by wilko

Turns out my 2.8 is a turbodiesel. The winding sound I hear at 2000 rpm is the turbo kicking in, and to get rid of the grumble it makes I just give it some more gas - it moves.

I took it to Mitsubishi after my dog ate the truck. It is a turbo, but no ABS brakes and I'm not sure if I have an airbag or not. No symbol on my steering wheel but it has the round bulge typical of airbags.

Of course, if I want a real Thai airbag, I'd borrow someone's baby and lash it to the steering wheel.

PP

Edited by pistonpilot