Car cam advice

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What importance, if any, has a GPS function on the camera?

No value for me for the two accidents I had. I knew where I was!

One issue you need to consider in Thailand is how are you going to show the video to insurance/police at the scene of the accident and later at the police station. The screens on these camera are very small and they all have very low battery capacity.

One feature that some cameras have is to stream video from the camera to your phone using the camera's inbuilt wifi. The Drivepro has this feature and it is useless as the video is such low quality and stutters all the time.

Better to remove the micro SD card from the camera and slot it into your phone if you have an Android phone. It is a more convenient way to show the video to the police and insurance. I have an IPhone but I also keep a backup Android phone in my car so I can use this to run the video.

A full size SD card adapter is also useful to keep with the camera as you can use this to view the video on the micro SD card on a PC or notebook at the police station.

Thanks for the follow up. In the mean time I had done some searching about the GPS logger, and the main "advantage" would be that it records your speed and insert it in the picture. This of course can be an disadvantage as well I think.

I have now found 2 cameras, with the same Ambarella A7LA50 chip, which records in 2560*1080@30fps, resolution and is able to register license plates. The chip get good remarks in reviews. I have seen youtubes from the Dome G90 -7s GS90C and the license plate from the vehicles in front was clearly readable, I assume the other cam to have a similar picture since it has similar spec.

So I'm deciding now between these 2 cameras, and your opinion will be appreciated.

http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/dvr-cameras/10329-carsuite-mx5-hd-1296p-driving-recorder.html.

This one doesn't have the GPS function but is slimmer and has a lane departure warning and supports 64Gb sd card

Then there is the one with the GPS function, only a few dollars more, but bit more voluminous and supports 32Gb sd card

http://www.everbuying.net/product675003.html

As I said in the OP, I'm looking for a economic priced one, so the 70$ is about as much as I want to spend, but other suggestions in that price range are welcomed.

With your budget I would concentrate on image quality. Had a look at a Dome video on Youtube (

) and you can read a few of the stationary carplates in the carpark at the end but most are a blur. The real test is reading a plate of an oncoming car. However, Youtube videos are always downgraded when you upload them so the original files may look better. Edited by pj123

I have ordered a Dome G98C after I had seen the picture in real life at Tukcom. Several shops have the camera, but at double the price from online.

Now I have another question. My rear view mirror is powered, for the night vision. Can I use that connection to power my camera, or will it not be powerfull enough?

201506131750079504.jpgDOME-GS98C.jpg

Edited by Berty100

wow, that takes up a lot of real estate..

as to the wiring-to powered mirror , what is the power ouput at the mirror ad what is the power requirements of the cam

What's the meaning of that in everyday language?

As for the power to the mirror. How do I measure that?

Power requirements for the camera are

Working voltage DC 12~24V

Power Interface

5V 1.5A

Car Cams are usually 5v.

There is a resister in the cigplug reducing the voltage from 12v to 5v

Unless your power to the mirror is same as the camera don't connect the camera to it.

smile.png

I think the camera has the resister built in, since it is USB charging.

wow, that takes up a lot of real estate.. = It's Big as apposed to small and hardly noticeable.

Not having looked at the specs of your model I can only make assumptions.

Sounds like the camera will plug into/connect to both 12v and 24v systems and automatically down step to the required 5v.

As I recall USB slots are universally 5v.

I would not take the chance of bypassing the power plug by connecting straight to the mirror, which presumably is 12v. It would invalidate any warranty.

My cameras have cig plugs and to save using the socket on the dash I bought a cig socket extension that I hard wired into the accessory circuit and plugged my cameras into that and hid it all behind the car trim.

smile.png

wow, that takes up a lot of real estate.. = It's Big as apposed to small and hardly noticeable.

Not having looked at the specs of your model I can only make assumptions.

Sounds like the camera will plug into/connect to both 12v and 24v systems and automatically down step to the required 5v.

As I recall USB slots are universally 5v.

I would not take the chance of bypassing the power plug by connecting straight to the mirror, which presumably is 12v. It would invalidate any warranty.

My cameras have cig plugs and to save using the socket on the dash I bought a cig socket extension that I hard wired into the accessory circuit and plugged my cameras into that and hid it all behind the car trim.

smile.png

Camera hardly can called big 8.5 x 5.4 x 3.8 cm

Bringing the wire down to the cigarette lighter involves a lot of work to hide the wire, and will not as neat as connecting it above the ceiling. Also my car is out of warranty if that was your concern

The window mount has a usb charge port, which makes convenient, so really need to find out if the mirror power supply is suficient.

20150916172254935.jpg

Edited by Berty100

as to the wiring-to powered mirror , what is the power ouput at the mirror ad what is the power requirements of the cam

it means once that chunky camera is hanging from the Mount it will create a nice blind spot in the middle of your windscreen but that's my personal opinion as I like my cams small and discreet.

here is one of mine, when sat in the drivers seat it is hidden by the mirror.

post-186594-0-33008000-1469425739_thumb.

Edited by Don Mega

it means once that chunky camera is hanging from the Mount it will create a nice blind spot in the middle of your windscreen but that's my personal opinion as I like my cams small and discreet.

attachicon.gif20160718_112334.jpg

I haven't mounted it yet, but I have seen it's physical size at Tukcom, and assume that it also will be hidden by the mirror.

Anyway, I have asked to put my order on hold while I consider the Mini 0805 instead.

Original-E-prance-Mini-0805-Car-Dash-CamMini-080X-Comparison.jpg

Nothing like the blind spots created by the A pillars. I have a normal size dashcam just under my mirror that I never notice, but I am constantly peering around the A pillars to make sure nothing is hidden. Those things are ' huge!

Edited by giddyup

Nothing like the blind spots created by the A pillars. I have a normal size dashcam just under my mirror that I never notice, but I am constantly peering around the A pillars to make sure nothing is hidden. Those things are ' huge!

I have no issue with A pillars

What is the minimum angle I should look at to have sufficient coverage, as I know on Thailand roads they come from everywhere.

What is the minimum angle I should look at to have sufficient coverage, as I know on Thailand roads they come from everywhere.

minimum angle to A pillars. Ive no idea to be honest.

Before you go any further trying to get the camera to work with the USB just check that it does work in record mode.

Normally the USB is for data, like plugging into your computer or phone or whatever for playback. When I plug my camera into the computer with the USB it comes up as an additional drive and I can watch files delete, format or whatever just like a ordinary flash drive.

I cannot record or even get the setup screen while plugged in the USB. For the camera to work in record and setup mode it has to be connected with the CigPlug.

I don't know what car you have but there should be no problem running the cam cable from the cig socket up to the camera. Those cam wires are fairly thin and easily tuck into the rubber door trim and under the roof lining edge.

smile.png

Before you go any further trying to get the camera to work with the USB just check that it does work in record mode.

Normally the USB is for data, like plugging into your computer or phone or whatever for playback. When I plug my camera into the computer with the USB it comes up as an additional drive and I can watch files delete, format or whatever just like a ordinary flash drive.

I cannot record or even get the setup screen while plugged in the USB. For the camera to work in record and setup mode it has to be connected with the CigPlug.

I don't know what car you have but there should be no problem running the cam cable from the cig socket up to the camera. Those cam wires are fairly thin and easily tuck into the rubber door trim and under the roof lining edge.

smile.png

It will definitely charge through USB, as you can see from the picture I posted earlier, that the cigarette lighter has mini usb connector at the other end.

I'm also reading up as much as i can on the DashCamTalk forum, and there are several threads from which is clear that you can alter the settings and firmware by connecting to PC.

Ok you can charge through the USB, it does that for me when connected to the computer.

BUT will it work as a camera in the car through the USB?

You will note that the USB cable is MUCH shorter than the cable with the cig plug, no way will that USB reach down from the window to where most cars have a USB socket.

Both the USB and Cig cable plug into the same mini USB on the camera but they perform different functions - at least on all the cameras I've had.

smile.png

Ok you can charge through the USB, it does that for me when connected to the computer.

BUT will it work as a camera in the car through the USB?

You will note that the USB cable is MUCH shorter than the cable with the cig plug, no way will that USB reach down from the window to where most cars have a USB socket.

Both the USB and Cig cable plug into the same mini USB on the camera but they perform different functions - at least on all the cameras I've had.

smile.png

Did you notice that I said there is information about that on the forums, and look at the picture I posted earlier.

But actually I have no idea which point you try to make. Why does the USB cable have to be 3 meters long, the purpose from THAT cable is not for charging, which the cigarette lighter does.

If I want to connect to my mirror I will open the cigarette lighter plug, which will have the 12V > 5V converter build in, and has only 2 wires which I can use to connect.

post-249019-0-40229900-1469456558_thumb.

Edited by Berty100

I have no problem with my camera creating a blind spot, only A pillars.

I seem to have got it wrong, I thought you wanted to run the camera through a USB port instead of the cig plug:- The window mount has a usb charge port, which makes convenient,

Just a thought, how is the mirror powered? "My rear view mirror is powered, for the night vision" is it powered all the time or only at night through the lighting circuit?

Would be a bit disappointing to get it all set up and find then the camera only worked at night .whistling.gif

Anyway you seem to know what you're doing so good luck.

Let us know how it all works out.

smile.png

Ive located my cam lower left passenger side.No can do with all screens though,depends on the curvature, lucky cause i cant stand distraction during night driving.cant put it behind the mirror because of wirey mesh tint stuff of the Arial.Novelty soon wares off,must check its working.coffee1.gif

I seem to have got it wrong, I thought you wanted to run the camera through a USB port instead of the cig plug:- The window mount has a usb charge port, which makes convenient,

Just a thought, how is the mirror powered? "My rear view mirror is powered, for the night vision" is it powered all the time or only at night through the lighting circuit?

Would be a bit disappointing to get it all set up and find then the camera only worked at night .whistling.gif

smile.png

The mirror gets powered as soon as I turn the key, but still nobody has answered how I can measure if that power is strong enough to power the cam.

I think that usb port on the mount is for the optional GPS module

The usb on th e mount is to power the cam, the gps connector is on the camera itself and is a 3.5mm av plug

so the wiring configuration is cggie socket to mount then usb to cam ?

smile.png

The mirror gets powered as soon as I turn the key, but still nobody has answered how I can measure if that power is strong enough to power the cam.

disconnect plug from mirror and use a multimeter ?

Edited by Don Mega

Here's mine... On a block of wood with 3M tape smile.png Doesn't block my view and the cable is tucked away behind the dash.

As above, need to flip up the screen occasionally to make sure its working !!

The turtles keep us safe though smile.png

i'd be interested too see some footage from your cam mounted that low.

mine is mounted under the mirror and I still get too much bonnet in the footage

Edited by Don Mega