Car cam advice

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that usb port on the mount is for the optional GPS module

The usb on th e mount is to power the cam, the gps connector is on the camera itself and is a 3.5mm av plug

so the wiring configuration is cggie socket to mount then usb to cam ?

The cigarette socket has mini usb at the other end, you can plug it straight in the the camera mini usb or the mini usb on the window mount.

The camera has contacts, as has the window mount, to transfer the power from the mount to the camera.

Original-Dome-G90-GS90A-Car-Windshield-M

I seem to have got it wrong, I thought you wanted to run the camera through a USB port instead of the cig plug:- The window mount has a usb charge port, which makes convenient,

Just a thought, how is the mirror powered? "My rear view mirror is powered, for the night vision" is it powered all the time or only at night through the lighting circuit?

Would be a bit disappointing to get it all set up and find then the camera only worked at night .whistling.gif

Anyway you seem to know what you're doing so good luck.

Let us know how it all works out.

smile.png

The mirror gets powered as soon as I turn the key, but still nobody has answered how I can measure if that power is strong enough to power the cam.

disconnect plug from mirror and use a multimeter ?

That would tell me the voltage, but I need to measure the current I guess, as i understand the cam needs 1.5A

I have ordered a Dome G98C after I had seen the picture in real life at Tukcom. Several shops have the camera, but at double the price from online.

Now I have another question. My rear view mirror is powered, for the night vision. Can I use that connection to power my camera, or will it not be powerfull enough?

201506131750079504.jpgDOME-GS98C.jpg

Mine is much the same as above as are many cheapo Chinese 2K ish ones. Cheap yes, but re pro is as good as a Go Pro .Only thing i dont like is that it only does 15Mins then opens another file. Why it just doesnt just run the 64 Gigs out with only a break when you turn off ignition seems a tad silly. It has a Zoom too but its best left set on biggest view. Super value from Lazada .. 1.5 years in the blazin Sun, and no damage,just set n foreget.

I have ordered a Dome G98C after I had seen the picture in real life at Tukcom. Several shops have the camera, but at double the price from online.

Now I have another question. My rear view mirror is powered, for the night vision. Can I use that connection to power my camera, or will it not be powerfull enough?

201506131750079504.jpgDOME-GS98C.jpg

Mine is much the same as above as are many cheapo Chinese 2K ish ones. Cheap yes, but re pro is as good as a Go Pro .Only thing i dont like is that it only does 15Mins then opens another file. Why it just doesnt just run the 64 Gigs out with only a break when you turn off ignition seems a tad silly. It has a Zoom too but its best left set on biggest view. Super value from Lazada .. 1.5 years in the blazin Sun, and no damage,just set n foreget.

Is re pro the brand of your camera, or can you post the details.

The biggest issue I have found so far, and I have spend many hours now researching, is the battery since they tend to die fast in hot climate.

When the battery has died the last file will not be saved, but additionally the firmware starts to play up.

Regarding the 15 minute file, I like it that way since that is the maximum you can lose if something goes wrong, in fact I would set it to a lower setting.

if it is plugged into the ciggie llighter it should not be using the built in battery.

look for one that uses a capacitor instead of a battery maybe

It doesn't need the battery when plugged in, but it needs it to save the last file when switch off engine, and there are reports that a defective battery creates glitches in the firmware.

Most of these cheap models don't have capacitors, and also not able to add one, because the firmware is not written for it.

I'm currently looking at the Viofo A119, which has capacitors instead of battery, but it's pretty new and so far the youtubes I've seen have a lesser picture quality than the others mentioned.

They all have capacitors unless they are 750 Bht from Tesco. The camera stays on till files are done, and fires up if the car gets hit. Its hard to buy rubbish now, ive found better or equal for less in friends Cars As for quality that depends on how much trendy tint the screen has, i run clear

They all have capacitors unless they are 750 Bht from Tesco. The camera stays on till files are done, and fires up if the car gets hit. Its hard to buy rubbish now, ive found better or equal for less in friends Cars As for quality that depends on how much trendy tint the screen has, i run clear

No they don't all have capacitors, the one in the picture for example of which you say you have an identical one, doesn't have capacitors and they are 4000 Baht on Lazada.

Getting back to the original question, seems there is no problem connecting a CarCam to the rear view mirror power supply.

https://www.google.co.th/#q=Connect+Dash+cam+to+powered+rear+view+mirror

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/2lf3tp/install_dashcam_using_rear_view_mirror_power/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hardwiring-to-the-rear-view-mirror.3744/

Quote:- "I checked my toyota wiring scheme and mirror is behind 10A fuse so it's possible to use it"

smile.png

Edited by Daffy D

Getting toooo heavy, if yer got full insurance dont waste money. Cops dont give a rats ass about cameras. They are fun to record a Clown now n then,but soon you dont bother. Best spend the money on a descent service so it runs right..biggrin.png

Getting toooo heavy, if yer got full insurance dont waste money. Cops dont give a rats ass about cameras. They are fun to record a Clown now n then,but soon you dont bother. Best spend the money on a descent service so it runs right..biggrin.png

quite the opposite actually

Thanks for you contributions, I have decided to go for the Viofo A119.

Specification:

Chipset

Novatek 96660

Sensor

OV4689

Lens

6G F1.8, 160° FOV

Display

2“ inch

Video Resolution

2560*1440 30fps; 1920*1080 60fps; 1920*1080 30fps;

Video Format

MOV

Video Frames

30FPS@HD1080P and 60FPS@HD720P

Microphone & Speaker

Built-in

Sensors

G-sensor, Motion Detection

GPS Logger

Support(Optional)

Mobile Detection

Supported

Wi-Fi

No

Dash Cam Features

Loop Mode, Auto Start/Stop, Vehicle Identity Text

Video Out

AV Out

Languages

English/French/Portugal/Italian/SimplifiedChinese/Traditional Chinese/Russian/Japanese/Deutsch/espanol

Ports

USB2.0, AV-Out, MicroSD Card Slot

Storage

Up to 64GB MicroSD Card

Battery & Charging

NO battery, use capacitor, 5V 1A.

viofo-A119.jpgA119_descreete_mount_screen_on-310x205.j$_35.JPG1467362611176825.jpg

Edited by Berty100

Specification:

Chipset

Novatek 96660

Sensor

OV4689

Lens

6G F1.8, 160° FOV

Display

2 inch

Video Resolution

2560*1440 30fps; 1920*1080 60fps; 1920*1080 30fps;

Video Format

MOV

Video Frames

30FPS@HD1080P and 60FPS@HD720P

Microphone & Speaker

Built-in

Sensors

G-sensor, Motion Detection

GPS Logger

Support(Optional)

Mobile Detection

Supported

Wi-Fi

No

Dash Cam Features

Loop Mode, Auto Start/Stop, Vehicle Identity Text

Video Out

AV Out

Languages

English/French/Portugal/Italian/SimplifiedChinese/Traditional Chinese/Russian/Japanese/Deutsch/espanol

Ports

USB2.0, AV-Out, MicroSD Card Slot

Storage

Up to 64GB MicroSD Card

Battery & Charging

NO battery, use capacitor, 5V 1A.

viofo-A119.jpgA119_descreete_mount_screen_on-310x205.j$_35.JPG1467362611176825.jpg

Looks like the upgraded model to the one discussed at length in this topic - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/880864-dash-cam-comparison-sony-vs-novatek/?hl=%22dash+cam%22

Having purchased this model with capacitor the only real negative I found is that if I turn the power on (hard wired to cig lighter) and then turn off quickly it can cause it to freeze up - ejecting the SD card and pushing it back in seems to fix this. Positioned behind my rear view mirror it is very discrete to the extent that, as the driver, I cannot see if it is working without craning my neck around as if I am in the passenger seat!

Looks like the upgraded model to the one discussed at length in this topic - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/880864-dash-cam-comparison-sony-vs-novatek/?hl=%22dash+cam%22

Having purchased this model with capacitor the only real negative I found is that if I turn the power on (hard wired to cig lighter) and then turn off quickly it can cause it to freeze up - ejecting the SD card and pushing it back in seems to fix this. Positioned behind my rear view mirror it is very discrete to the extent that, as the driver, I cannot see if it is working without craning my neck around as if I am in the passenger seat!

Yes it is the upgraded version of the A118C, and according to the people on the Dashcamtalk forum, the picture quality is really improved.

Here is a review of one of the first released with day and nighttime videos in unlit streets. Decide for yourself, but for a $79 camera it has a very good picture quality.

Edited by Berty100

• 3 weeks later...

Why dont these tings just playback as one stream instead of 4min files, or is it just my Camera ?..OK,.. it auto overides when the cards full , sensible, but why no movie type replay.? Can you make it play straight through. I got a Shock from a You Tube review yesterday, my 2500 Bht Cam 18 months old is only 15$ U.S. now online.:facepalm::(

19 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Why dont these tings just playback as one stream instead of 4min files, or is it just my Camera ?..OK,.. it auto overides when the cards full , sensible, but why no movie type replay.? Can you make it play straight through. I got a Shock from a You Tube review yesterday, my 2500 Bht Cam 18 months old is only 15$ U.S. now online.:facepalm::(

I think the main reason why it doesn't record as 1 big stream is that if you have an accident you will want to lock the recording which prevents the file from being overwritten.. If it records as 1 big stream that would mean it locks your entire sd card.

Yes there is that,thanks If You want to see the fair review of my rip off priced Cam, its on You Tube. Geeeek Stuff. in his Videos section its under GT300. 1080P dashcam review and sample. They were all around that price here when i bought it , so musnt grumble it performs well, and nigh view is excellent.

31 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Okay .... so where can you order the 119 GPS from please ... in Thailand itself ... thanks

I don't have any source in Thailand, but Foxoffer.com is the owned by the Viofo manufacturer, so you will get a 100% original product and delivery should be in less than 2 weeks. Price on their site is $89 for the non-gps and $99 including gps, but do a Google for Foxoffer coupon, and should be able to receive a $10 discount on said price.

It may also be worth to wait a little longer as they soon will release the A119S, which is the same camera but with a Sony sensor, which will give you better night view. Price will probably slightly higher than the A119

2 hours ago, Berty100 said:

I don't have any source in Thailand, but Foxoffer.com is the owned by the Viofo manufacturer, so you will get a 100% original product and delivery should be in less than 2 weeks. Price on their site is $89 for the non-gps and $99 including gps, but do a Google for Foxoffer coupon, and should be able to receive a $10 discount on said price.

It may also be worth to wait a little longer as they soon will release the A119S, which is the same camera but with a Sony sensor, which will give you better night view. Price will probably slightly higher than the A119

Thanks ...I have a friend in the UK whonis comingbout in a few weeks so he could bring me one.

Will the chip play in an android phone or only in a PC?

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Thanks ...I have a friend in the UK whonis comingbout in a few weeks so he could bring me one.

Will the chip play in an android phone or only in a PC?

Sorry don't understand your question. If with chip you mean SD card, that will play on phone as well, but you will have to install some software to view.

Why don't you order straight from Foxoffer sent to your doorstep, should come in without impost duties as it is sent by registered mail.

What do You want it For, my Cheapo wasnt a chepo here records fine for basic use  for a few bucks. Dont go mad , just set n foreget, and hope its never of use , thats the target.Having studied current info its looks like the chepoes have dropped not as much here as U.S. /Europe. Seems that many here are a reboxed n badged version of my 2500 Bht Thai one thats now 15$.U.S.the one referd to above is mine with a GPS added, at 122 $.I will now look around for one that hides behind the mirror,i have a Ting about Dangling Dollies on the screen. The battery has lasted 18 months i must say thats been a surprise . Id go for a Berty Cam  so  far n hide it , but dont need anymore GPS stuff

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

What do You want it For, my Cheapo wasnt a chepo here records fine for basic use  for a few bucks. Dont go mad , just set n foreget, and hope its never of use , thats the target.Having studied current info its looks like the chepoes have dropped not as much here as U.S. /Europe. Seems that many here are a reboxed n badged version of my 2500 Bht Thai one thats now 15$.U.S.the one referd to above is mine with a GPS added, at 122 $.I will now look around for one that hides behind the mirror,i have a Ting about Dangling Dollies on the screen. The battery has lasted 18 months i must say thats been a surprise . Id go for a Berty Cam  so  far n hide it , but dont need anymore GPS stuff

The camera I referred to Viofo A119 has GPS as option. $79 without and $89 with GPS. Prices are after applying the $10 discount coupon that can be found on the internet.

• 4 weeks later...

My cheap car cam just gave up after about two years. I have ordered the below with a 16 GB memory card from AliExpress for $25. To hell with Lazada.

Black TOGUARD 2.46" Full HD 1080P Mini Car DVR Dash Cam Video Registrator Car Recorder Auto Camera G-sensor Night Vision