Dash Cam Comparison - Sony vs Novatek

JetsetBkk

I just installed the A118, got it from aliexpress. Excellent in all respects, price including free shipping to Phuket was about US$53. Send by China Post air, arrived 3 weeks after ordering. Thai post delivery to my door, no hassles from customs or any other. Clear instructions, simple installation with everything needed provided in the box except for microSD (I had a spare 32GB lying around). Would rate this as 4/5, with 5 as the max.

Either Youtube is really messing up the quality of those videos, or both cams have very ordinary PQ... Do these look any better straight off the SD card?

The first video seems to default to 360p. You can change it to 1080p in the settings menu. The second video seems to default to 1080p anyway.

Picture quality at 1080p looks quite similar on both videos, and both are acceptable to me.

Perhaps less jitter on the Sony, as one might expect (automatic image stabilisation via cropping). I also expect that manufacturing quality control is better on the Sony than on the dashcam.

I suppose that the dashcam has useful features like auto-on/off, and automatic saving of the last x minutes etc. that the Sony probably doesn't have.

Either Youtube is really messing up the quality of those videos, or both cams have very ordinary PQ... Do these look any better straight off the SD card?

The first video seems to default to 360p. You can change it to 1080p in the settings menu. The second video seems to default to 1080p anyway.

Picture quality at 1080p looks quite similar on both videos, and both are acceptable to me.

Perhaps less jitter on the Sony, as one might expect (automatic image stabilisation via cropping). I also expect that manufacturing quality control is better on the Sony than on the dashcam.

I suppose that the dashcam has useful features like auto-on/off, and automatic saving of the last x minutes etc. that the Sony probably doesn't have.

100% correct on all points! clap2.gif The Sony is brilliant at image stablisation and auto-focus, but I like that the dashcam comes on with the ignition and needs no user input.

I also had the problem of one video defaulting to 360p when viewed on this forum. But if you view at Youtube you can watch them both at full screen and 1080p.

I made some notes about what I did to the original video files before uploading the result to Youtube. Those notes are in the information section under the video:

Sony cam produced an .mts file, edited (trimmed) using Lehmann Video Tool (v1.20 beta) to produce .m2ts file 604,272 KB. Converted to .flv for upload - 85,047 KB

Novatek cam produced an .mov file, edited (trimmed) using Avidemux (v2.6) to produce .avi file 348,065 KB. Converted to .flv for upload - 85,892 KB.

Both files converted to FLV using Super (eRightSoft) build 60 (Feb 18 2014) set to 1920*1080 at 30 fps 3600 kbps, audio 44100, 2 ch, 96 kbps.

Both files were converted to a 1080p .flv file so that Youtube would leave them alone after being uploaded and not re-process them.

From "MediaInfo" program:

The original .mts file produced by the Sony camera was 25.3 Mbps, 1920*1080 at 50 fps, AVC ([email protected])(CABAC / 2 Ref Frames)

The original .mov file produced by the Blueskysea was 14.7 Mbps, 1920*1080 at 30 fps, AVC ([email protected])(CABAC / 1 Ref Frames)

The uploaded .flv files produced by "Super" were about 3.6 Mbps, 1920*1080 at 30 fps, VP6

Do these look any better straight off the SD card?

Yes! smile.png

Edited by JetsetBkk

3.6mbps vs 15mbps, of course the compression he used for youtube is horrible :>

That's still an assumption - hence why I asked if the original files looked any better.... For all we know, they both have crap encoders, sensors or lenses.. ;)

Edited by IMHO

100% correct on all points! clap2.gif The Sony is brilliant at image stablisation and auto-focus, but I like that the dashcam comes on with the ignition and needs no user input.

I also had the problem of one video defaulting to 360p when viewed on this forum. But if you view at Youtube you can watch them both at full screen and 1080p.

I made some notes about what I did to the original video files before uploading the result to Youtube. Those notes are in the information section under the video:

Sony cam produced an .mts file, edited (trimmed) using Lehmann Video Tool (v1.20 beta) to produce .m2ts file 604,272 KB. Converted to .flv for upload - 85,047 KB

Novatek cam produced an .mov file, edited (trimmed) using Avidemux (v2.6) to produce .avi file 348,065 KB. Converted to .flv for upload - 85,892 KB.

Both files converted to FLV using Super (eRightSoft) build 60 (Feb 18 2014) set to 1920*1080 at 30 fps 3600 kbps, audio 44100, 2 ch, 96 kbps.

Both files were converted to a 1080p .flv file so that Youtube would leave them alone after being uploaded and not re-process them.

From "MediaInfo" program:

The original .mts file produced by the Sony camera was 25.3 Mbps, 1920*1080 at 50 fps, AVC ([email protected])(CABAC / 2 Ref Frames)

The original .mov file produced by the Blueskysea was 14.7 Mbps, 1920*1080 at 30 fps, AVC ([email protected])(CABAC / 1 Ref Frames)

The uploaded .flv files produced by "Super" were about 3.6 Mbps, 1920*1080 at 30 fps, VP6

Do these look any better straight off the SD card?

Yes! smile.png

OK, so at the end of the day, it's not really a fair comparison of the two cameras - more a comparison of your transcoding technique - which unsurprisingly produces similar (poor quality) results.

So now the question becomes: what are the differences between the Sony and the dashcam before the video data has been massively compressed? Are they still actually comparable?

If you were to tell me the originals are not much better than what's on YT, I'd be steering clear of both of them tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

<snip>

So now the question becomes: what are the differences between the Sony and the dashcam before the video data has been massively compressed? Are they still actually comparable?

If you were to tell me the originals are not much better than what's on YT, I'd be steering clear of both of them tongue.png

Well, I won't tell you that tongue.png. But I will say that the quality straight off the SD card is much better. I just played the originals again and, watching both videos on my 24" monitor, it's like looking through my pickup windscreen biggrin.png. No BS.

The original files are 2GB for the Sony .mts file (10 mins) and 580MB for the Blueskysea .mov file (5 mins).

But there's no way I'm going to upload that lot to a file hosting service! biggrin.png

<snip>

Well, I won't tell you that tongue.png. But I will say that the quality straight off the SD card is much better. I just played the originals again and, watching both videos on my 24" monitor, it's like looking through my pickup windscreen biggrin.png. No BS.

The original files are 2GB for the Sony .mts file (10 mins) and 580MB for the Blueskysea .mov file (5 mins).

But there's no way I'm going to upload that lot to a file hosting service! biggrin.png

If you want to try a cam that's not too expensive, but produces excellent PQ I can recommend the SJCAM SJ5000X Elite: http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=sjcam+elite

This cam uses a Sony 12.4 megapixel sensor with a Novatek chipset and features image stabilization, WDR and adjustable field of view (70/110/140/170 degrees). PQ is truly impressive - but make sure you update the firmware and select RAW mode..

You'll need a 300 Baht car kit to use it as a dashcam: http://www.lazada.co.th/sjcam-sj4000-sj5000-car-set-suctioncup-car-charger-1585947.html

And you may need a new monitor to see it's video in full detail if using the 4K24P or 2K30P settings ;)

If money is no object, the GoPro Hero4 Black does everything just that little bit better..

<snip>

If you want to try a cam that's not too expensive, but produces excellent PQ I can recommend the SJCAM SJ5000X Elite: http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=sjcam+elite

This cam uses a Sony 12.4 megapixel sensor with a Novatek chipset and features image stabilization, WDR and adjustable field of view (70/110/140/170 degrees). PQ is truly impressive - but make sure you update the firmware and select RAW mode..

You'll need a 300 Baht car kit to use it as a dashcam: http://www.lazada.co.th/sjcam-sj4000-sj5000-car-set-suctioncup-car-charger-1585947.html

And you may need a new monitor to see it's video in full detail if using the 4K24P or 2K30P settings wink.png

If money is no object, the GoPro Hero4 Black does everything just that little bit better..

That one looks interesting, especially as it uses the same Novatek chipset as the Blueskysea. It's about 3 times the price, but that isn't the main factor for me - being able to buy over the Internet is, (which I can't do at the moment). Plus I like the Blueskysea because it is so discreet sitting between the sun visor and rear view mirror:

ResVPQY.jpg

I just bought a 32GB MicroSD card for the Blueskysea so it should retain about 24 hours of video.

I was thinking of getting a GoPro Hero4 for my walks up Monkey Hill in Phuket as it's almost impossible to hold a camera, peanut container and feed the monkeys at the same time! biggrin.png

That one looks interesting, especially as it uses the same Novatek chipset as the Blueskysea. It's about 3 times the price, but that isn't the main factor for me - being able to buy over the Internet is, (which I can't do at the moment). Plus I like the Blueskysea because it is so discreet sitting between the sun visor and rear view mirror:

ResVPQY.jpg

I just bought a 32GB MicroSD card for the Blueskysea so it should retain about 24 hours of video.

I was thinking of getting a GoPro Hero4 for my walks up Monkey Hill in Phuket as it's almost impossible to hold a camera, peanut container and feed the monkeys at the same time! biggrin.png

The Blueskysea A118 uses the Novatek 96650 chipset which supports 1080P @ 30fps - the SJCAM I linked uses the 96660 version - which supports 1080P @ 60fps, 2K @ 30fps and 4K @ 24fps. There's also a huge difference in the image sensor: Aptina AR0330 3 megapixel vs the Sony IMX078 12.4 megapixel in the SJCAM.

The adjustable FOV is a great feature in practice - that's one area where the SJCAM beats the GoPro4 - the change in FOV is done digitally (it's a fixed lens), but the Sony sensor has plenty of spare pixels to do it without it losing any PQ. As a dashcam, the 140 and 110 degree settings generally produce the best results - things don't look to far away, or too fish eyed, which they can with the 170 degree FOV.

Anyways, if you're into this kind of thing, and can spare 5K Baht, I highly recommend it :)

Do they just keep rewinding. ?. Only played mine back once on the PC never bothered with it since. Looks like it just keeps on then rewinds it's self.Any ideas .?.

When the Blueskysea runs out of storage space, it overwrites the oldest saved file on the microSD card. You can set the files to be 2, 3 or 5 minutes in length (IIRC). I've set mine to the max - 5 minutes (580 MB). I haven't tried joining these 5 minute files, but I don't think the result will be seamless as the beginning of the newer file appears to contain a bit of the end of the previous file.

When the Sony camera runs out of storage space, it tells you it is full and won't record - I presume because it is not sold as a dashcam. You have to manually delete something. Each video file is a maximum of 2GB long (10 minutes) but you can join them seamlessly using the "Lehmann Video Tool".

I had to devise a Heath Robinson device to use it as a dashcam: biggrin.png

post-35489-0-25590100-1451629829_thumb.j

I doubt I'll ever be able to remove the black plastic base that is stuck to the top of the dash using double-sided foam tape! sad.png

ResVPQY.jpg

The Blueskysea A118 uses the Novatek 96650 chipset which supports 1080P @ 30fps - the SJCAM I linked uses the 96660 version - which supports 1080P @ 60fps, 2K @ 30fps and 4K @ 24fps. There's also a huge difference in the image sensor: Aptina AR0330 3 megapixel vs the Sony IMX078 12.4 megapixel in the SJCAM.

The adjustable FOV is a great feature in practice - that's one area where the SJCAM beats the GoPro4 - the change in FOV is done digitally (it's a fixed lens), but the Sony sensor has plenty of spare pixels to do it without it losing any PQ. As a dashcam, the 140 and 110 degree settings generally produce the best results - things don't look to far away, or too fish eyed, which they can with the 170 degree FOV.

Anyways, if you're into this kind of thing, and can spare 5K Baht, I highly recommend it smile.png

Thanks for the info. I tried to Google which Novatek chip was in the dashcams, but didn't get very far. And one reason why I didn't get the GoPro4 was the fixed FOV. When I take videos I like to zoom, especially when I'm using the Sony as a normal video camera. I also zoom when I'm using it as a dashcam if there's something interesting in front: smile.png

FYICzSc.gif

the question is , how do you walk up with food and not get attacked. I go up with nothing and i get jumped.

The trick is to keep walking! smile.png I never stop or I'll get surrounded by the whole troop. And when I drop the peanuts, I either drop them from a great height or carefully draw my hand away as their mouths and teeth get within an inch.

I've only got scratched once in over a decade, but I've seen tourists with bite marks on them because they tease the monkeys - they offer food and then snatch it away to get a photo. Som nam naa!

One final point, if an "alpha male" wants food, give him it. Give him as much as he can put in his cheeks until he gets bored! biggrin.png If he's happy, they're all happy. If he gets p1ssed, they all suffer.

Many people are aware of this guy - techmoan - he's a pretty honest and interesting reviewer of budget cameras and the like, he does a review of the A118 here.

http://youtu.be/R3eDXKLNLys

Yes, I saw that one when I was trying to figure out what the long triangular plastic bit was for (it's for storing/hiding the cable). But, like him and my mate who also has one, I don't use it.

In my picture above, you can see the "USB" power connector and a bit of cable at the top. If you fit the long triangular plastic cable housing, it makes the complete device about twice as big and a lot more obvious since it's lower on the windscreen.

The version he is reviewing has a GPS antenna included. My one didn't but was only 1,800 baht (-ish).

I mounted my one to the right of the rear view mirror, so I can see the screen, and tucked the power cable into the head-lining (as he calls it) around to the right hand side and down the driver's side pillar, behind the steering column panel and across to the cigar lighter. Excess cable - there is a lot - is hidden both in the pillar and behind the steering column panel.

I'd like to find a +12v supply that's always live to power the camera and then I would turn it on and off manually. That way, I could leave it recording while parked in a dodgy area. (Not that I go to dodgy areas that often, but you never know rolleyes.gif.)