Phuket Aussie expat faces reckless driving and drunk driving charge

rooster59

Interesting comments in the article about the alcohol limit depending on how long you have had your license. I'm wondering if the 5 year rule is for Thai driving licenses only

Interesting Law. Never heard of such a Law before. Maybe I should go back to Law School to update my JD Degree. When I attended Law School Drunk was DRUNK, there were no different levels. But then of course I didn't go to Law School in Thailand either.

How much is the alcohol limit when you have your driver license for the past half century???

Waiting to see the half century limit.

LOL in LOS

Beside law school maybe you have to attend some other schools, about real life, maybe? The difference between 0.2 and 0.5 isn't nuts, 0.2 you can, for example, easely achieve by eating some overripe fruits. You're surely not drunk with 0.2 and the question was about Thai law!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should have said he was simply to distressed to be breathalized. Seems to work for hiso Thais...

He should have immediately packed a bag and headed off to the temple. I am afraid the cops and the injured have him in their sights take a regular Thai settlement and multiply by 25. Cannot feel sorry for him brought it on himself. Its one of life's silent talking points. Edited by elgordo38

Should have said he was simply to distressed to be breathalized. Seems to work for hiso Thais...

I am afraid the cops and the injured have him in their sights take a regular Thai settlement and multiply by 25.

Or maybe not, you may or may not have noticed who he works for ? OK he's not quite the son of Red Bull but he is working for a company that is just as big. Just saying.

he should be punished. Justly, and appropriate - like Thai people. This means of course his punishment will be much milder than what Jenphap will get or the girl who killed nine, or the red bull perp....

Either way... makes the rest of us look bad. Hope they throw the book at him.... and the other (Good Thais) you mentioned as well.

Edited by Torrens54

[quote name="taxin" post="10966578"timestamp="1468658963"

Interesting comments in the article about the alcohol limidepending on how long you have had your license. I'wondering if the 5 year rule is for Thai driving licenses only

Yes, caught my attention too. Does somebody now

5 hand smacks for drunk farang drivers and 2 hand smacks for drunk Thai drivers?

Let me pipe in for NKM here. "if the price of a taxi or tuk tuk was reasonable, this wouldn't have happened".

Don't you see, it's not the price of tuk-tuks, the availability of taxis or the proliferance of vehicles parked precariously along the sois; it's the person who can't handle alcohol.

I read another news source saying he fled the scene because he was attacked by locals and had to be treated for cuts. The scummy locals can't resist a chance to beat a farang.

A beat down would not surprise me, but that would happen to Thais and farang alike.

Hope he spend some good time in monkey house

WHY ???

If he had committed these offences back in Oz, highly unlikely he'd do any time behind bars, if it was his first DUI offence. Reasonable fine & disqualified for 6 to 9 months.

I agree he's a fool & irresponsible, BUT, he should be given the same punishment as a Thai.

But hey, just my opinion.

Another quality expat.

Many soon adapt to the Thais regarding driving.

Good luck getting your car insurance paying for that, I doubt any car insurance will pay if the driver is over the limit.

So looks like an very expensive night out.

Insurance here pays out for DUI on a regular basis have even heard of it contributing to payments for deaths.

Hope he spend some good time in monkey house

WHY ???

If he had committed these offences back in Oz, highly unlikely he'd do any time behind bars, if it was his first DUI offence. Reasonable fine & disqualified for 6 to 9 months.

I agree he's a fool & irresponsible, BUT, he should be given the same punishment as a Thai.

But hey, just my opinion.

Here's an example:

Troy Buswell has been fined $3100 and had his license suspended for a total of 12 months over driving offences that ultimately ended his ministerial career.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/troy-buswell-fined-loses-licence-over-subiaco-crashes-20140429-37f5f.html

Let me pipe in for NKM here. "if the price of a taxi or tuk tuk was reasonable, this wouldn't have happened".

If he had enough money to get pi#$$$@d, then he should have put some aside for a taxi or tuk tuk. A couple of hundred baht is quite reasonable considering what he will have to endue now. It really amazes me how some people are so tight or poor that they have to complain about this aspect. Can afford to drink but when it comes to caring about others and do the right thing they just pass it off and quite obviously couldn't give a stuff. I have no sympathy for idiots and hopefully he will get his just desserts. Just think of the innocents who will suffer because of this clown.

Now there you go.

Most people would agree that the efforts of the police should be aimed at cracking down on such life threatening activities such as driving while drunk and well proven to be harmful to others....as in dead....

Instead, a notable amount of time and effort is utilized by the police who are being caught up in morality sweeps while cracking down on massage parlors and hand job services.

Maybe one day the police will focus on the important matters...... but not if there is no money to be made.

So what happened to the government and police campaign to crack down on drunken drivers that everyone agreed with and supported.

That is too much effort now while back to the usual business and means of making money is more important...? I wonder....I guess ....lol

Cheers

Now there you go.

Most people would agree that the efforts of the police should be aimed at cracking down on such life threatening activities such as driving while drunk and well proven to be harmful to others....as in dead....

Instead, a notable amount of time and effort is utilized by the police who are being caught up in morality sweeps while cracking down on massage parlors and hand job services.

Maybe one day the police will focus on the important matters...... but not if there is no money to be made.

So what happened to the government and police campaign to crack down on drunken drivers that everyone agreed with and supported.

That is too much effort now while back to the usual business and means of making money is more important...? I wonder....I guess ....lol

Cheers

Interesting, had this been a Thai the Hang em High lot would have been full on by now.

This guy deserves the book thrown at him, he could have killed someone!

And the rich/connected who kill someone seem to getaway with it. Perhaps he will receive the same treatment? Nah, he is farang - off to the monkey house? coffee1.gif

Of course, there is no direct correlation between Phuket having no proper public transport, and Phuket having the highest road fatality statistics in Thailand - right? thumbsup.gif

I just do not understand people who drink (a little or a lot) and drive, especially in Thailand, (but back home usually have turn in not drinking or stay overnight), where public transport is everywhere and cheap.

I have a motorbike and yes I drink, sometimes way too much, but when I go out I already take a mototaxi to my drinking place/bar and another one back.

Spending hundreds/thousands of baht on drinking (and girls/guys), but not wanting to spend a 50-200 baht on safety for others and yourself.

Just stupidity I guess.

The tuk-tuks want 400 baht from Kata to Patong, and 800 from Patong to Kata, later in the night. 1200 baht round trip.

You can rent a motorbike for 200 baht a day, and you can rent a car from the airport for as low as 842 baht (Ford Figo)

I do not condone drink driving, but there is such a clear financial incentive here to do so that, unfortunately, many see it as an option.

Edited by NamKangMan

Interesting comments in the article about the alcohol limit depending on how long you have had your license. I'm wondering if the 5 year rule is for Thai driving licenses only

other places have similar rules

Interesting Law. Never heard of such a Law before. Maybe I should go back to Law School to update my JD Degree. When I attended Law School Drunk was DRUNK, there were no different levels. But then of course I didn't go to Law School in Thailand either.

How much is the alcohol limit when you have your driver license for the past half century???

Waiting to see the half century limit.

LOL in LOS

or get out into the world a bit. Where i come there are three different levels for BAC. None of which means you are incoherently drunk. A newly licensed driver is allowed zero BAC...then it rises to .0.02 bac for the next three years then 0.05 BAC for the holder of a full license.

Having a license for half a century is irrelevant - if you lose it for any reason you go back to step one....zero BAC.

Could you also define DRUNK??

Edited by Mudcrab

other places have similar rules

I'm sure other places do. My question is if the rule is for Thai driving licenses only, or would a foreign license be the same.

I just do not understand people who drink (a little or a lot) and drive, especially in Thailand, (but back home usually have turn in not drinking or stay overnight), where public transport is everywhere and cheap.

I have a motorbike and yes I drink, sometimes way too much, but when I go out I already take a mototaxi to my drinking place/bar and another one back.

Spending hundreds/thousands of baht on drinking (and girls/guys), but not wanting to spend a 50-200 baht on safety for others and yourself.

Just stupidity I guess.

A little or a lot? If you just drink a glass of wine to lunch or dinner you're not only within the legal limit, you're also not drunk. Ever thought about rest alcohol the next day when you say sometimes you're drinking way too much?

I also smoke, more when I am drinking.

Any details you need about my sex life also????

Just stupidity I guess.

The tuk-tuks want 400 baht from Kata to Patong, and 800 from Patong to Kata, later in the night. 1200 baht round trip.

You can rent a motorbike for 200 baht a day, and you can rent a car from the airport for as low as 842 baht (Ford Figo)

I do not condone drink driving, but there is such a clear financial incentive here to do so that, unfortunately, many see it as an option.

If you choose to stay/live somewhere that you get ripped off by taxi mafia, you are still responsible for your own actions. So move or pay rip-off taxi prices. A humans life other then yours is worth a lot more then max 1200baht.

Edited by BrainLife