inflation is killing me

zeichen

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks Thailand is still cheap to live in is kidding themselves!

I think Thailand is still quite affordable. And depending on where one decides to live and how to live it can be "cheap" too.

expat retirees who think Thailand is not dàmn cheap never had an income in their home country of which the taxman took up to 50% and therefore don't take into consideration that the Thai taxman doesn't touch their offshore income.

I hope you knocked on wood before you hit the Add Reply button.

If you come to Thailand and complain of the high prices,,,

you really are poor, better start saving for a tin cup, or a

used paper one.

I would agree. Anyone who tracks the price of grocery staples in the supermarket really has no business living overseas.

You're neglecting recent articles about Chinese traders beginning to dominate the fruit markets in Thailand.

As more fruit goes over the border, less is available for local consumption. Less fruit available means higher prices. Higher prices (coupled with wage stagnation) means more financial stress on the population. That translates to fewer smiles and more crime in LOS. That affects all of us.

So even if I can afford whatever they want for bananas and eggs, tracking the price of groceries, especially the staples, is a good idea. Tracking the price of a can of imported baked beans- not so much.

Edited by impulse

Ok...just to take one example among many and a service almost all men pay for...the haircut. I use a bog-standard barber shop in Pattaya, that's clean and air-con'ed and pay 100 baht for a cut...shaves are also 100 baht.

Contrast this with the cost of cuts in the San Francisco Bay Area (admittedly a high-cost area)...where they're $25-$30 (800-1000 baht) Even a buzz cut (which is what i actually get) is $20. A shave is $45 (1600 baht)! (Admittedly it's "hot towel"...I guess they wrap a warm towel around your face for a few minutes before the shave). And these are considered "blue collar" prices ?

Of course many things are more expensive as well...this is just one example. Me personally, I don't think Thailand is particularly cheap (like it was 10-15) years ago, but neither is it particularly expensive. Costs tend to cancel out each other and I spend about what I would back home (but I also live a Western style lifestyle).

post-167660-0-01460000-1468987775_thumb.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I have to agree with you 100% thailand is not what it was 6 years ago , I for one can't understand how most Thais can live in their country with the price of things .

I come and go to thailand and when in thailand it cost me more to live then back home in Australia.

The best thing in thailand is eating out at restaurants cost nothing compared to Australia.

You don't go to live in thailand to live like a thai you go to live a great cheaper life then back home but that is not so now .

I would think that when you come here you are in 'holiday' mode, and not living as a permanent resident here.

If you holiday here, of course it will be quite expensive, as you are not leading a normal everyday life, as you would in your home country.

used paper one.

I would agree. Anyone who tracks the price of grocery staples in the supermarket really has no business living overseas.
or the price of baked beans laugh.png

Apart from groceries and morning coffee in a local coffee shop, I don't spend much in Thailand.

(3,500 house rent, 1,500 gas/water/electric/internet, morning coffee 30bht + groceries ...... that's about it)

Edited by MissAndry

I think Thailand is still quite affordable. And depending on where one decides to live and how to live it can be "cheap" too.

expat retirees who think Thailand is not dàmn cheap never had an income in their home country of which the taxman took up to 50% and therefore don't take into consideration that the Thai taxman doesn't touch their offshore income.

I hope you knocked on wood before you hit the Add Reply button.

mentally i did. but we all know that the good times won't last forever. sooner or later, assuming we live that long, the taxman will knock on our door and hopefully charging us a reasonable amount. an advantage is that expats are sitting with the big-shot Thais in the same boat. then there's always the possibility not to generate income but cover living expenses from non-yielding savings.

If you want to experience inflation take a holiday in Sydney.Start off taking the airport link to the main railway terminal,used to be 65 baht now 442 baht.A small bottle of water costs nearly 200 baht,here 10 baht.Inflation is everywhere but at the moment here its minimal despite drought and the political situation

Yes, that's true. I paid 5 AUD for a small bottle of water in Melbourne's railway station

used paper one.

Apart from groceries and morning coffee in a local coffee shop, I don't spend much in Thailand.

(3,500 house rent, 1,500 gas/water/electric/internet, morning coffee 30bht + groceries ...... that's about it)

3,500 house rent - what are you living in, a dog kennel? tongue.png

3,500 house rent - what are you living in, a dog kennel? tongue.png

Nice little 2 bedroom bungalow, 1 air-con, decent lawn and driveway, half a dozen mango trees, and a grove of bananas. About 12Km from the moat in Chiang Mai.

Edited by MissAndry

used paper one.

You dont buy long knickers and panty hoses .?

re

i paid 5 AUD for a small bottle of water in Melbourne's railway station

a small bottle of water is 260 baht at the novotel hotel

at bangkoks swampy airport :(

dave2

ps ... no i didnt ... thats nearly five quid :(

post-42592-0-24781700-1469014961_thumb.j

re

at bangkoks swampy airport :(

dave2

ps ... no i didnt ... thats nearly five quid :(

Is thst the 500 or 1500ml size? The 500ml bottles are 42-50 baht at non-hotel outlets.

re

at bangkoks swampy airport sad.png

dave2

ps ... no i didnt ... thats nearly five quid sad.png

Thats $10 Aus .Makes Australia look cheap .

re

at bangkoks swampy airport sad.png

dave2

ps ... no i didnt ... thats nearly five quid sad.png

Thats $10 Aus .Makes Australia look cheap .

It's a hotel mini-bar...one expects to bend over and grab one's ankles ?

>>It's a hotel mini-bar...one expects to bend over and grab one's ankles It's a hotel mini-bar...one expects to bend over and grab one's ankles <<

Crazy ,but somebody must be paying it .

>>It's a hotel mini-bar...one expects to bend over and grab one's ankles It's a hotel mini-bar...one expects to bend over and grab one's ankles <<

Crazy ,but somebody must be paying it .

That's an airport hotel as well so probably lots of businesmen traveling on company account's.

re

It's a hotel mini-bar...one expects to bend over and grab one's ankles

the mini bar prices were even worse

with a small can of coke at 120 baht :(

dave2

ps ... the water was in the bathroom and about 6 inches tall

but ive no idea how much was in it ?

post-42592-0-50077300-1469027508_thumb.j

re

the mini bar prices were even worse

with a small can of coke at 120 baht :(

dave2

ps ... the water was in the bathroom and about 6 inches tall

but ive no idea how much was in it ?

The Evian water (500ml) at 160 baht is a relative bargain (about 3x usual retail), while the Coke, which I assume is a standard can, at 120 baht, is about 7x the 7-Eleven price ?

^Durex condom B140 .Just one i presume ;-)

My local bar sells them for 1000 Baht each. mind you that does include a free 1 hour demonstration of how to use it.

My local bar sells them for 1000 Baht each. mind you that does include a free 1 hour demonstration of how to use it.

Oh good - yet another thread where prostitution has to be mentioned - is it mandatory to mention it everywhere on Thai Visa?

Edited by Mark123456

Oh good - yet another thread where prostitution has to be mentioned - is it mandatory to mention it everywhere on Thai Visa?

Considering that Thailand is regarded by the multitudes as being the worlds largest brothel, one can only expect that the workers are frequently mentioned,whether on Thai Visa or any other outlet.

Of course, if you don't like it>well you know the rest.

Considering that Thailand is regarded by the multitudes as being the worlds largest brothel, one can only expect that the workers are frequently mentioned,whether on Thai Visa or any other outlet.

The "multitudes" comprise Express, Star and Daily Mirror readers, their aptitude for knowledge and fact simply isn't there.

re

bangkok bars in soi cowboy are as bad ' (

i had a small chang beer in a girly bar and it was 180 baht !

thats nearly the price of a pint in england and over double what

i usually pay in chiang mai

dave2

post-42592-0-83259300-1469089400_thumb.j

post-42592-0-64969700-1469089422_thumb.j

Yes but it's illegal so how comes it's allowed to be freely discussed (and why the eagerness to introduce the topic in almost every single thread)? Any other illegal pursuits are not allowed to be discussed on the forums so why the exception for this one - is it because so many posters indulge?

Edited by Mark123456

re

bangkok bars in soi cowboy are as bad ' (

i had a small chang beer in a girly bar and it was 180 baht !

thats nearly the price of a pint in england and over double what

i usually pay in chiang mai

dave2

In Walking street Pattaya you have the option of draught beer at the GoGos for B70 aprox .