Where is the best immigration office for retiremant visa holders

Jomtien, Chonburi is the best, no fuss office IMO. A retirement extension usually takes about 10 minutes. These days they have 1 or 2 English speaking checkers at the counter who really work quickly and check all your documentation. Last time I went earlier this month they had a Farang doing the document checking - he was very polite and helpful.

Unfortunately they no longer do the conversion from tourist visa or visa-exempt entry to Non-O.

They do the conversions to a non immigrant visa now. Been that way for about a year now.

• Like 2

Samui purged their office around 18 months ago. Since then service has been reasonable except during peak times when they frankly cannot cope, not least because their building isn't fit for purpose.

If they ever move into their new premises in Maenam this might change.

(Latest update suggests August, but I'm not sure what year!)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

Jomtien, Chonburi is the best, no fuss office IMO. A retirement extension usually takes about 10 minutes. These days they have 1 or 2 English speaking checkers at the counter who really work quickly and check all your documentation. Last time I went earlier this month they had a Farang doing the document checking - he was very polite and helpful.

Unfortunately they no longer do the conversion from tourist visa or visa-exempt entry to Non-O.

They do the conversions to a non immigrant visa now. Been that way for about a year now.

That's good news! It seems like yesterday I was reading that they stopped doing it, now they do it again.biggrin.png

Hard to compare as most of us use only the one.

I am happy with Jomtiem, finding their service efficient and 'straight'-forward.

I hear of good things of Chiang-Rai too.

I think we have all heard Chiang-mai will not be on the list.

• Like 1

That's good news! It seems like yesterday I was reading that they stopped doing it, now they do it again.biggrin.png

For a short period after their authority to issue the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa for retirees was cancelled, you had to go to Bangkok Immigration. However, they resumed taking the applications, but have to send the paperwork to Bangkok for approval - a process that takes about 21 days, which you must have remaining on your permission to stay (if on initial entry as Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, you can extend the stay by 30 days to allow time for processing if needed; however if you have already extended your stay for another 30 days, you cannot get another extensions and if not enough time they will not process the application - if applying in Bangkok, you need at least two weeks remaining on your permission to stay as that is the time they take to process the application).

If you are using money in a Thai bank account to qualify, the process at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration is fairly simple; but if you are using an "income letter" from your Embassy to meet the 800k baht requirement for a retirement extension, Pattaya Immigration will require that it have a Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) stamp on the reverse authenticating the "letter." The MFA Legal Office where this is done is in Bangkok in the Chang Wattana Government Office complex (same complex, but not same building, where Immigration is located). The MFA stamp is not being required for those using the "letter" when applying for an initial or renewal extension of stay based on retirement.

• Like 1

I live very close to the immigration office in Chiang Rai. Sometimes I just stop by to say Hello to the officers because they are bored and sad without any people to take care. Seating in a confi seat and having a free coffee under a good AC is a plus. Only one time I spend more than 20 minutes there, and was because a very nice looking officer from Mae Sai named Oi was visiting the place...and she seated by me to practice her English.

I am married......If not...I was ready to asking her for a date. What a smile!

• Like 1

For a short period after their authority to issue the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa for retirees was cancelled, you had to go to Bangkok Immigration. However, they resumed taking the applications, but have to send the paperwork to Bangkok for approval - a process that takes about 21 days, which you must have remaining on your permission to stay (if on initial entry as Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, you can extend the stay by 30 days to allow time for processing if needed; however if you have already extended your stay for another 30 days, you cannot get another extensions and if not enough time they will not process the application - if applying in Bangkok, you need at least two weeks remaining on your permission to stay as that is the time they take to process the application).

If you are using money in a Thai bank account to qualify, the process at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration is fairly simple; but if you are using an "income letter" from your Embassy to meet the 800k baht requirement for a retirement extension, Pattaya Immigration will require that it have a Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) stamp on the reverse authenticating the "letter." The MFA Legal Office where this is done is in Bangkok in the Chang Wattana Government Office complex (same complex, but not same building, where Immigration is located). The MFA stamp is not being required for those using the "letter" when applying for an initial or renewal extension of stay based on retirement.

Very informative, thank you!

If one needed the MFA stamp on the income letter does it need to be translated to Thai first? They don't trust Embassy stamps now?

• Like 1

I always liked Jomtien Chonburi as being the best. A distant relative of my wife was a higher official their and always used to rush us through. But even before I met my wife they were always good to me. The only problem I ever faced their is that they can get very busy at times, with line-ups right out the door. So choosing you day to go is important.

After I moved I had to start dealing with Udon Thani. I found them friendly and always helpful. Not near as busy as Jomtien and usually in and out in not time at all. The only slight problem I ever had in dealing with them was one time when I was doing my renewal they wouldn't accept my Bank Statement Letter from the day before. The Bank Letter I had was less than 24 hours old but they wanted one for the exact day and morning I applied.

So I had to go to a local bank branch to get a new letter which cost me a little time and a little more money for another letter. Not a big deal but I did feel the new young guy at the immigration office was being a bit too picky. Maybe mine was one of the first renewals he did and he wanted it perfect and according to the letter of the law. Or how he saw the law anyway. .

If one needed the MFA stamp on the income letter does it need to be translated to Thai first? They don't trust Embassy stamps now?

Translation is not needed if the letter is in English. Not sure why Jomtien is doing it. There are some other offices near Bangkok that have asked for verification to do extension and some have said they are doing because there have been some fake letters presented.

• Like 1

I think a general rule of thumb, Any immigration office were there are lots of westerners (CM, Pattaya, Phuket etc), usually an easy process.

I went to Si Racha immigration (40ks north of Pattaya) to do a 90 day report. The guy said I cannot do a 90 day unless I bring in the owner of the condo I rent.

​No matter how much I questioned this, pointed out that no other office requires it etc. (even explaining that the owner lived in Hong kong) He was 100% not going to let me do a 90 day unless I brought in the owner of the condo.

Later that day, went to Jomtiem and did 90 day in 10 minutes.

There are exceptions, lol

Si Racha

I think a general rule of thumb, Any immigration office were there are lots of westerners (CM, Pattaya, Phuket etc), usually an easy process.

I went to Si Racha immigration (40ks north of Pattaya) to do a 90 day report. The guy said I cannot do a 90 day unless I bring in the owner of the condo I rent.

​No matter how much I questioned this, pointed out that no other office requires it etc. (even explaining that the owner lived in Hong kong) He was 100% not going to let me do a 90 day unless I brought in the owner of the condo.

Si Racha

If you were trying to do a 90 day report with an address outside of Sri Racha's area of responsibility he was correct in asking for proof of residence. Ninety day reports can only be done where you got your extension unless you formally change your address after moving to a different area.

Si Racha

If you were trying to do a 90 day report with an address outside of Sri Racha's area of responsibility he was correct in asking for proof of residence. Ninety day reports can only be done where you got your extension unless you formally change your address after moving to a different area.

I lived just down the road. even had my lease documents etc, I had previously done online. I thought the whole idea of 90 day reporting was ,yes I am still here and this is my address.

What if visiting friends or on holidays when 90 day falls due.

Immigration website says you can report at any office.

Si Racha

I lived just down the road. even had my lease documents etc, I had previously done online. I thought the whole idea of 90 day reporting was ,yes I am still here and this is my address.

They came out with a directive early last year that you have to do the reports at your home office.

If away from home you need to do them by mail to your home office or online.

Immigration's website is out of date and I really think they meant your home immigration office when they last updated it.

Si Racha

They came out with a directive early last year that you have to do the reports at your home office.

If away from home you need to do them by mail to your home office or online.

Immigration's website is out of date and I really think they meant your home immigration office when they last updated it.

Ok, thanks for response, that makes sense.

But the guy at Si Racha wanting to meet the condo owner a little over the top.

Si Racha

Sadly, dealing with the Immigration offices in Chiang Mai is not an easy process for retirees. This is well documented on various threads on the Chiang Mai subforum.

Translation is not needed if the letter is in English. Not sure why Jomtien is doing it. There are some other offices near Bangkok that have asked for verification to do extension and some have said they are doing because there have been some fake letters presented.

So does this mean that Jomtien are now requiring MFA verification of Embassy income confirmation letters/affidavits for retirement extensions as well as non-O conversions?

Post #9 sounds confusing on this point. It initially states 'If you are using money in a Thai bank account to qualify, the process at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration is fairly simple; but if you are using an "income letter" from your Embassy to meet the 800k baht requirement for a retirement extension, Pattaya Immigration will require that it have a Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) stamp on the reverse authenticating the "letter." ' But it then goes on to state 'The MFA stamp is not being required for those using the "letter" when applying for an initial or renewal extension of stay based on retirement'!

So does this mean that Jomtien are now requiring MFA verification of Embassy income confirmation letters/affidavits for retirement extensions as well as non-O conversions?

Post #9 sounds confusing on this point. It initially states 'If you are using money in a Thai bank account to qualify, the process at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration is fairly simple; but if you are using an "income letter" from your Embassy to meet the 800k baht requirement for a retirement extension, Pattaya Immigration will require that it have a Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) stamp on the reverse authenticating the "letter." ' But it then goes on to state 'The MFA stamp is not being required for those using the "letter" when applying for an initial or renewal extension of stay based on retirement'!

Jomtien is only wanting the signature verified for non immigrant visa applications not for a extension of stay.

• Like 2

Oooops! I agree, my post was not as clear as it should have been. Primarily, if you do not have a Non-Immigrant Visa, you generally cannot obtain a one year extension of stay. But, for those that qualify to extend for one year for the purpose of retirement and entered on a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt, you can apply for the required Non-Immigrant Visa (issued as an "O" category) without leaving Thailand, but must first prove you qualify for the retirement extension -- which has the 800k baht financial requirement. Thus my using the word "extension."

To clarify -- the MFA stamp is being required for the "income letter" by Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration only as part of the application for the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, which they send to Bangkok for approval. For those that entered Thailand using a Non-Immigrant 'O" Visa or those renewing their annual one year extension, the stamp is not required.

If getting the MFA stamp, the letter does not have to be translated into Thai. As I understand it, the MFA has a listing of Consular Officers from the various embassies and their stamp denotes that the signature on the embassy letter is that of a Consular official they have on their list for that Embassy. I have read that the normal fee is 400 baht, but if you want expedited (same day) service, the fee is 800 baht.

As to the comments about Sri Racha Immigration Office - this is a sub-office of Chonburi Immigration (main office being on Pattaya Jomtien Soi 5) -- so it doesn't surprise me that the 90 day report was accepted at the main office (which by the way is a very easy process - once they enter you in the computer, they put a bar-code on the receipt they staple in your passport - for the next report, you need only hand them your passport - they remove the previous receipt, scan the bar code, and print out a new receipt showing the next reporting date - takes about a minute to actually process - how long you are there depends on the number ahead of you in the queue, but it usually goes fairly fast).

• Like 1

I am happy with Jomtiem, finding their service efficient and 'straight'-forward.

We have great service in korat ( Nakhon Ratchasima ) for you who have never ventured outside of Pattaya.

We have great service in korat ( Nakhon Ratchasima ) for you who have never ventured outside of Pattaya.

LOL> even if we make a huge effort to venture outside of Pattaya (that ain't easy biggrin.png ), we can only apply at our home office, so it's unlikely Pattaya expats will get to try other offices unless they move. Give us a good reason to visit Nakhon Ratchasima and we could pay you a visit, although you may not enjoy the company of Pattaya lowlife.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Been there plenty of times, but I don't understand why I have to go there again!