To Be Married Soon.

I am 39 years old.

my girlfriend and me want to get married in thailand somewhere in januari 2007. (for the law ofcouse, not just for buddha).

can anybody tell me what the conditions and restrictions are to get married?

do i need to have a certain income?

do i need to have a certain amount of money in the bank?

what does it mean for my visa?

can i stay longer in thailand?

does it make things easier about making some kind of business in thailand?

what consequences does it have if one of us makes debts?

she has a 3 year old daughter of which i am not the father. can i reconice her as to be my legal child? and if so, what concequences can that have on different fronts?

did i forget anything? any further tips and/or information?

To marry in Thailand you must obtain a paper from your Embassy that you meet the requirements for marriage in there eyes. What they want will vary but proof that you are single is probably the most important item. But suspect income will be a question on that form.

After marriage you can obtain 60 days to visit wife and from Consulates be able to obtain non immigrant O visas allowing stays of up to 90 days at a time.

If you have family income of 40k per month you can extend your stay on a yearly basis.

You will need a work permit for any work but conditions for employer may be easier to meet.

Thailand is a joint property type system so believe your debts are hers and vice versa.

Although you can take care of child in a legal fashion believe formal adoption is not common.

To marry in Thailand you must obtain a paper from your Embassy that you meet the requirements for marriage in there eyes. What they want will vary but proof that you are single is probably the most important item. But suspect income will be a question on that form.

After marriage you can obtain 60 days to visit wife and from Consulates be able to obtain non immigrant O visas allowing stays of up to 90 days at a time.

If you have family income of 40k per month you can extend your stay on a yearly basis.

You will need a work permit for any work but conditions for employer may be easier to meet.

Thailand is a joint property type system so believe your debts are hers and vice versa.

Although you can take care of child in a legal fashion believe formal adoption is not common.

thanks so far lopburi,

what does the K stand for in 40K?

so does it mean if she has a business on her name, and makes 40K a month as a "salary" from her own business, i can get that visa?

even if i don't have an income then?

her income and mine add up together? so she makes 40K and i make zero K, is enough to get me the visa.....?

And: when we are married and she has a business on her name, could she be my employer? so i can get a workpermit based on that?

And you wrote: "Thailand is a joint property type system". does that mean that if we are married, and we buy a car and a house and whatever more, and unfortunatly things between us go wrong in the future and we have to divorce, 50% of the house,car and whatever what, will still be mine?

Edited by goltec

I mean K = three zeros so 40K would be 40,000 and this is Thailand so it is baht per month. We use the "K" very often on the forum.

Yes the income can be yours, hers, or a combination of the two. With that you can obtain extensions of stay for one year at a time from Immigration. The visa itself from a Consulate does not require income but only allows up to 90 day entry at a time.

Her business would have to meet conditions to allow sponsorship of a work permit so it would not be automatic by any means. And most manual labor occupations are not available for work permits.

K = Kilo or 1000

KG = 1000 grams .

KM = 1000 metres or meters for the US .

I believe for a work permit that she needs to have a certain percentage of thais working for the same company . I am not sure how many , but the number 17 comes to mind .

It is also my understanding that anything purchased after the marriage is on paper is jointly owned . Things owned prior to the marriage in her name remains hers .

Not sure on wills as if land is in her name , it cannot be owned by a farang :o

it seems that there are a lot of positive things about getting married.

why doesn't everybody do that?

is there a catch?

something i didn't think of?

i mean if everything that was in your name before you get married stays in your name and not in hers, you don't have to be affraid losing a lot ,,,,,right?

if you ever get divorced again, is there such thing as alemony that you have to pay her?

I believe for a work permit that she needs to have a certain percentage of thais working for the same company . I am not sure how many , but the number 17 comes to mind .

The number is zero ( 0 )for the number of Thai employees required to get a work permit.

And: when we are married and she has a business on her name, could she be my employer? so i can get a workpermit based on that?

yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Won't she have to show that you will be doing a job that cannot be done by a Thai citizen??

This is news to me. In what ways would they be easier? The list of occupations that bars foreigners applies to all foreigners - regardless of whether they are married to thais - doesn't it? Or have I missed something? As far as I know we have no special privileges, except they tolerate us on a year-to-year basis if we meet the 40K rule. So please do tell..

This is news to me. In what ways would they be easier? The list of occupations that bars foreigners applies to all foreigners - regardless of whether they are married to thais - doesn't it? Or have I missed something? As far as I know we have no special privileges, except they tolerate us on a year-to-year basis if we meet the 40K rule. So please do tell..

If the employer is a co., ltd he'll only ned 1 mil registered capital for each wp to a foreigner married to a Thai - as opposed to 2 mil for a foreigner not married to a Thai.

is there a catch?

Right... :o:D

right there are a lot of positive things about getting married?

or right there is a catch?

and if there is: can you explain?

Won't she have to show that you will be doing a job that cannot be done by a Thai citizen??

With over 6,000 work permit applications we have processed, not one was rejected for that reason. If you have a good lawyer, a rejection should never ever happen. Certainly the applicant has a quality that is unique.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

If the employer is a co., ltd he'll only ned 1 mil registered capital for each wp to a foreigner married to a Thai - as opposed to 2 mil for a foreigner not married to a Thai.

Cyberstar (or Sunbelt)- Does this then mean that if I form a registered company with my Thai wife and we show 1 million of 'registered' capital, that I can get a WP on that basis alone? In other words we set up Farang Somtam Co. Ltd. with my wife, our Thai friends and family as shareholders, lock 1 mill baht in a bank account (where none of the brothers can get at it!) and then I get a WP?

On another front, can our kids born here in LOS be shareholders (both in primary school)?

-thanks for your respone(s)

Cyberstar (or Sunbelt)- Does this then mean that if I form a registered company with my Thai wife and we show 1 million of 'registered' capital, that I can get a WP on that basis alone?

Unless you own more than 51% of the shares. ( exporting, mfg, hotel mgmt you would be allowed to) then it must be 2 million Baht. The other requirement is a non immigrant visa.

In other words we set up Farang Somtam Co. Ltd. with my wife, our Thai friends and family as shareholders, lock 1 mill baht in a bank account (where none of the brothers can get at it!) and then I get a WP?

As long as you have a visa as well.

On another front, can our kids born here in LOS be shareholders (both in primary school)?

After the company is formed, they can be. Just change one of the shareholders to their name. ( With that shareholders permission of course.)

....Cyberstar (or Sunbelt)- Does this then mean that if I form a registered company with my Thai wife and we show 1 million of 'registered' capital, that I can get a WP on that basis alone? In other words we set up Farang Somtam Co. Ltd. with my wife, our Thai friends and family as shareholders, lock 1 mill baht in a bank account (where none of the brothers can get at it!) and then I get a WP?

-thanks for your respone(s)

It also is helpful if it is a company that really does business. The revenue dept will expect to see some sort of cash flow.

TH

is there a catch?

Reading that has just made my day :o

why has it made your day ?

did you mean that seriously or cinicly?

no offense, but you are the second one that gives a vague reaction on that question.

so i still didn't get a real answer.

Although your wifes company can give you a working permit, which allows you to help her, you don't need to be working in your wifes business to get a 1 year visa extention. If you get a working permit you can only do certain tasks in her company (because you're a foreigner).

If her business makes more than 40K/month official income you'll be allowed to get a 1 year extention based on 40K/month, even if you're not working.

If you wife has a small business that is not registered for VAT with a small turnaround and low income (less than 40K/month) changing to a VAT registered business with a higher income and turnaround will probably cause a serious tax increase.

is there a catch?

Reading that has just made my day :o

why has it made your day ?

did you mean that seriously or cinicly?

no offense, but you are the second one that gives a vague reaction on that question.

so i still didn't get a real answer.

I believe they are thinking ahead to the possibility that life with a wife may not be exactly the same in the future as it was in the past. Marriage does not exactly have a great track record for a lot of people. In other words they are joking with you. :D

is there a catch?

Jeff Foxworthy, famous comedian, said it: “Getting married for sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts.”

For the answer to your question, substitute “annual extensions of stay” for “sex”.

---------------

Maestro

is there a catch?

Jeff Foxworthy, famous comedian, said it: “Getting married for sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts.”

For the answer to your question, substitute “annual extensions of stay” for “sex”.

---------------

Maestro

but annual extensions of stay AND sex might be worth it :o