Pattayans Are Stocking Up in Advance of the Two-Day Prohibition That Begins at Midnight

webfact

Pattayans Are Stocking Up in Advance of the Two-Day Prohibition That Begins at Midnight
Story by Albert Jack

ca.jpg
Khao Pansaa features Candle Parades

PATTAYA: -- Supermarkets, shops and corner stores have shelved up and are ready for today’s rush to buy wine, beer and spirits in advance of a two-day prohibition that starts at midnight tonight.

Police officers and city officials have been doing the rounds and reminding alcohol retailers of the ban.

Ex-pats, tourists and locals are stocking up and ready to settle down for a quiet few days holiday as bars all over town will be either closing down or serving only soft drinks.

No booze can be legally bought or sold for 48-hours from midnight tonight.

Penalties for those caught can range from 10,000 baht fines, six months imprisonment or closure of business.

Bars will be open as usual until the stroke of midnight tonight when the shutters will be brought down. At midnight on Wednesday many will re-open.

All banks, government offices and many businesses will be closed. Most currency exchange booths are expected to remain open, as are the ATM facilities.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/227688/pattayans-stocking-advance-two-day-prohibition-begins-midnight/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-07-18

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you can't go 2 days without a drink, you should seek help.

The same comments are made every year but consider the tourists instead. They spend their hard earned money on a 2 week trip to Thailand with their mates only to be told they can't get a beer. I'd be rather unhappy if it were me.

The same comments are made every year but consider the tourists instead. They spend their hard earned money on a 2 week trip to Thailand with their mates only to be told they can't get a beer. I'd be rather unhappy if it were me.

Or you could check what's coming up before booking......

Sure, that's the first thing I do when I plan a holiday to a foreign country, I Google " are there any dry days in < fill in name of country> during period x > Y " . coffee1.gif

Sure, that's the first thing I do when I plan a holiday to a foreign country, I Google " are there any dry days in < fill in name of country> during period x > Y " . coffee1.gif

I didn't mention dry days, I said, "what's coming up".

I always check what's going on before traveling abroad, I'm sure anyone who's traveled a fair bit, and has any common sense would do the same!

I always check what's going on before traveling abroad, I'm sure anyone who's traveled a fair bit, and has any common sense would do the same!

Well, in case you missed it, this thread is about dry days.

A Buddhist holiday doesn't necessarily translate to no alcohol for tourists in any other country than Thailand.

So because one can find on the web that there are 2 Buddhist holidays or the referendum early next month, it doesn't make them aware that they can't have a drink on those days.

A Buddhist holiday doesn't necessarily translate to no alcohol for tourists in any other country than Thailand.

So because one can find on the web that there are 2 Buddhist holidays or the referendum early next month, it doesn't make them aware that they can't have a drink on those days.

As I said, common sense helps.....

Edited by Woody1

It seem you can't help putting that foot even further in your mouth.

Where does common sense come in play here. Is it common sense in other countries that foreign tourist are unable to have a alcoholic drink during Buddhist holidays?

The only one that should use common sense in this case is the Thai government.

Where does common sense come in play here. Is it common sense in other countries that foreign tourist are unable to have a alcoholic drink during Buddhist holidays?

Have you heard of, "Ramadan" or, "Muslim country's"?

Edited by Woody1

If you come from Saudi, maybe, otherwise you have a real drinking problem.

By the time I look for help, find help,make appointment with help, go to see help,put help plan into action..the bars will back open again.

May as well just wait

Keep going mate, you're making a nice fool of yourself.

What has Ramadan or Muslims has to do with the current dry days in Thailand?

There are actual places and people who don't drink alcohol and survive. Tired of hugging the ol' porcelain bowl after drinking solid for 5 days? Did you know there is a beach and other things to see/do here besides hug a bottle like a baby on a teat.

If you go there on Holiday why the hell should we

If you can't conceive of a holiday without alcohol you really do need help - I rest my case

Edited by cumgranosalum

Righty oh.

Please (try to) read my comments carefully, then if that sinks in.............well, obviously it hasn't yet!!!

All I said was, people should check / know what to expect when traveling anywhere, if you're too thick to understand that I give up!

Maybe they should first find out when all the non alc. days are and book a holiday accordingly if getting pi$4ed is the main reason for coming here..

I feel for the tourists on this issue but you can't really expect a country to abolish its customs and culture to accommodate them. For us ex-pats it is no big deal. I have a nice single malt in reserve and a few new movies i downloaded that i am looking forward to watching with the family.

If you come from Saudi, maybe, otherwise you have a real drinking problem.

There are more alcoholics in Saudi than probably any other country in the world.

These alcohol ban long weekends are more and more becoming an excuse to stock up on booze and get absolutely tanked. Surely the government must wake up to the fact that people just stock up before on cheap whisky before hand. It achieves nothing. They would have more success if they just left it up to individuals to choose.