No need to use the meter outside a department store, claims taxi driver in latest scam

Jonathan Fairfield

No need to use the meter outside a department store, claims taxi driver in latest scam

s4p.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- Ever heard the one about the taxi driver who claimed that he didn't need to turn on the meter because he was parked in a rank outside a department store?

No it is not a joke, it actually happened to a young woman called Sandy who posted her experience online on Monday.

She said that she had been waiting patiently in line outside Paragon in Bangkok for a taxi from the rank there. When it was her turn the security guard used a megaphone to call a taxi and he agreed to go.

But he said to the woman before the journey began: "That will be 250 baht."

"What about the meter she said?"

"Oh we don't need to use that if we are parked outside a department store," came back the quick reply from the driver.

The disgruntled potential passenger naturally refused to go and started taking pictures that resulted in the foul mouth driver saying something rude to her that was not written in her summary of the event.

She contacted the land department on 1584 to complain.

Action has not yet been taken against the driver. Sukree Jaruphoom of the land transport department said that things are slow as it is a long holiday but the case will definitely be followed up.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-7-18

reminds me of an episode at Asiatique.

wanted to get a taxi there, and there was a line of about 30 people wanting to do the same, there were some kind of "taxi attendants" there, who appeared to be mainly managing the queue of waiting people, asking where people wanted to go.

I'm not sure if there was some kind of scam to extort additional fees, because I took my group of 4 people who were with me to the main road and hailed a passing cab myself there.

One of the taxi attendants actually followed me for 300 meters and told me some things, don't remember what exactly apart from "mai dee na" at the end of his diatribe.

Why does the queue guy actually care where I get my taxi?

Do these guys get kickbacks from the taxis?

Is there a fee added at Asiatique as there is at the airport?

Edited by manarak

"...that things are slow as it is a long holiday..."

Sukree Jaruphoom of the land transport department could actually have a point!

After all, it's been almost four years since Pol Sgt Maj Wichian Klanprasert was killed when his motorcycle was rammed by Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya's Ferrari (dragging Wichian’s body about 200 meters along the road).

Only recently has the national police chief promised to find out what was causing the delay in the investigation (http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/officers-in-red-bull-heirs-car-crash-incident-now-face-malfeasance-probe-by-anti-corruption-commiss/148915/).

post-209291-0-66852600-1468837511_thumb.

So, if it takes four years just to reach this stage in the investigation into Wichian's death, imagine how long it's going to take before any action will be taken against the taxi scammer (even without the long holidays)?

reminds me of an episode at Asiatique.

wanted to get a taxi there, and there was a line of about 30 people wanting to do the same, there were some kind of "taxi attendants" there, who appeared to be mainly managing the queue of waiting people, asking where people wanted to go.

I'm not sure if there was some kind of scam to extort additional fees, because I toom the 4 people who were with me to the main road and hailed a passing cab myself there.

One of the taxi attendants actually followed me for 300 meters and told me some things, don't remember what exactly apart from "mai dee na" at the end of his diatribe.

Why does the queue guy actually care where I get my taxi?

Do these guys get kickbacks from the taxis?

Is there a fee added at Asiatique as there is at the airport?

The taxis pay a monthly "fee" to the "mafia" who control the taxi queues at all department stores, hospitals, hotels, airports etc. No unlicensed or non paying taxi is allowed to queue at these places.

I had not left Thailand for 3 years. So on my return this month I found the new Taxi service at the airport confusing. After finding my Taxi and he started to leave the airport he turned to me and ask "how much you giving me to take you to your Hotel" I said" use the meter.". He said"If I use the meter you have to charge extra for pick up here" I ask him how much. He would not answer I told him to stop I wanted out. He stopped but said he would use the meter. I then told him I will only pay extra 50 baht for airport same as always He agreed. i was so tired I ended up confused when we got to the hotel and gave him 400 baht anyways.

Next day want to go Morchit for a bus. First taxi 400 baht would not use meter. Second says 400 no meter,I say 200 he says 380 I say 300 he says 350. I reply 350 tok yung ( which I think means everything included) He laughs and agrees. He paid all tolls and I gave him 350.

But all taxis now seem to be refusing to use meters. Seems less taxis in areas I go too.

Edited by lovelomsak

I visited Asiatique with my wife and a couple of friends a year or two ago and tried to take a taxi home. After 20 minutes or so, we got to the head of the line and were told that because there was Farang in the party, we could not get a taxi that would use their meter. We would have to pay a flat rate of several hundred baht instead.

We walked back to the pier, took the ferry back to Saphan Taksin and took the BTS back home. I've never been back to Asiatique!

I am living in Samui, someone could explained to me what is a "meter" please. smile.png

Approximately 39 inches on the imperial scale of measurement..

Ah OK thank you ...

I understand better why they do not use it in Samui...thumbsup.gif ... 39 inches must be cumbersome in a car smile.png

The police had a crackdown on the taxis at Paragon about 2-3 weeks ago. They checked meter was on and took photos. Guess it didn't last too long.

This is a pervasive problem at CentralWorld also. They have a deal with Grab taxi but it can take forever to get one because the driveway is clogged with tuk tuks and off meter taxis. After I waited over 30 minutes with groceries and a bad knee, the reason I couldn't take sky train as no elev/ or down escalator, I reluctantly took one who wanted 100 baht over reg meter fare. When he saw me taking pictures of.his license and taxi number he suddenly offered me a discount of 80 baht, because he didn't know my home was so close. Still.had Thai friend make complaint to land transport office.

I am living in Samui, someone could explained to me what is a "meter" please. smile.png

Raoflao

Nothing to do with my living in Samui but someone could explain to me what is a "Raoflao" please .biggrin.png

Raoflao

Nothing to do with my living in Samui but someone could explain to me what is a "Raoflao" please .biggrin.png

Rolling around on floor laughing arse off

do you have experience using this app and does it work properly? Is there a full English version? Did you make a complaint so far and did you follow up what actually happened then ?

I have reported one case of a car unfit for purpose, (serious engine problems). Yes, it is in English. There was no response from DLT, but there is another thread on TV which seems to suggest it works - albeit after writing about it online first. As others suggest, Uber is a good alternative to taxis, although it is not without its problems, (lack of knowledge by some drivers of GPS or no SAT NAV). But if you get a new Toyota which is more spacious, or All Thai Taxi, these too are good alternatives. I understand they are not always options. Certainly I try to choose those if I'm picking up from the street, or when my concierge calls a taxi for me. Today I took a large Toyota (as aforementioned) @ THB71 (I gave him THB80), and returned in Uber @ THB157. Both drivers were good, which I would expect with Uber, but mostly which I find with run of the mill taxis. (I'm in central BKK, and I realise it's quite a different story in the burbs and in Samui/Phuket/Chiang Mai etc.)