"No need for the meter outside Paragon" driver hit for 3,000 baht in fines

webfact

"No need for the meter outside Paragon" driver hit for 3,000 baht in fines

s2p.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok taxi driver that told a female passenger he didn't need to turn on his meter outside a department store was banged to rights yesterday.

Arun Srinakha had told a woman called Sandy who had waited patiently at the rank that her journey to Charoen Nakorn would cost her 250 baht, reported Thairath. He swore at her too when she complained about the meter and being fleeced on Saturday.

But then she got the beginning of her revenge when she went online and had the story shared 10,000 times.

A contrite Arun turned himself in today when it dawned on him there was no escape from the wrath of the Land Department.

He was fined a total of 3,000 baht - one thousand each for not turning on the meter, being rude and abusive and having an out of date license.

Passengers who receive bad taxi service should make reports on the Land department hotline 1584 available 24 hours.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-19

What a joke.

In Pattaya none of the "TaxiMeter" taxis use the meter.

All you get is a fixed price.

Take it or leave it. Up to you.

And this driver had an out-of-date licence, therefore no licence.

Edited by Pattaya28

No mention of them suspending his licence, or should I say no renewal of expired licence.. 3,000 baht fine isn't much of a deterrent..coffee1.gif

My thoughts exactly. The real joke here is the so-called "punishment" he received. He even seems to be smiling in the photo!

What a joke.

Everyone in the big P should complain, in your 1000's. It's people's apathy that is as much to blame as the taxi drivers.

BE AWARE AT PARAGON.

Now I can tell you of the SCAM used at Paragon as I saw it twice!

Using defunct old Taxis which have No Meter, No Numbers on the inner doors, No Driver Picture or Licence.

They use these wrecks to pick up at Paragon because they have NO Meter Light to display on the road.

The 2nd time I told the so called controller at the queue but he just waved to Taxi away and told me to get another.

Once again authorities only react to the bad publicity. Most of us semi permanents here know of the many issues that the authorities should be addressing on a daily basis but only take action when there is an instance basically stuck under their noses. This is Thailand take it or leave it.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to normal font.

Once again authorities only react to the bad publicity. Most of us semi permanents here know of the many issues that the authorities should be addressing on a daily basis but only take action when there is an instance basically stuck under their noses. This is Thailand take it or leave it.

You do not know that.

All we get to hear about are the cases that come into the media.

I have been burgled twice and lost stuff exceeding 100,000 Baht. This did not come into any newspaper. I even had to do the "pointing poses". But then some guy in a cheap hotel looses 4,580 Baht and it makes headlines.

If you know of things, then go and report them.

What a joke.

Any idea what the fare would be from Pattaya to the airport if you used the meter? Is it close to the fixed fare?

Whats the difference between an "out of date" licence and "no licence"????clap2.gifcheesy.gif

The same difference in the US, when you are either charged with "driving with an expired license" or "driving without an operators license". There is also "driving while license suspended". Three very different violations.

Not much of a deterant you say. BS its three days wages for a cab driver

Agreed,

And many don't even earn 1,000 a day after they have paid their rents or loans plus fuel etc.

I have spoken to a great many that were driving me who were quitting, about to quit or wanting to quit. They would not be doing that if they were earning 30,000 baht a month clear profit/wages!

What a joke.

Then you leave it ... don't you? Enough leave it, the light eventually will dawn, even in the dimmest of recesses.

responsibility of the Paragon management as well.

After all, the dispatcher who writes down the car plate number is an employee of Paragon !

Not much of a deterant you say. BS its three days wages for a cab driver

Maybe a 3 day wage for an honest taxi driver, won't take this scumbag that long to rip off a couple more unsuspecting tourists that don't speak any Thai so they won't be able to use the 1584 number as they only seem to accept complaints in Thai.

That is pisspoor judgement ,,,pissweak,,,only THB 3,000 in Fines,No fines for Being rude and No Fines for not having a License.

"He was fined a total of 3,000 baht - one thousand each for not turning on the meter, being rude and abusive and having an out of date license."

There is a difference between an expired licence and no licence, Like your Thai driving licence, once expired, you have 12 months to renew it as opposed to not having a licence which means simply - no licence!