Republican Convention Day 1: security, Melania and marines

webfact

Nate Silver's (from five thirty eight) take of day one:

A very heavy dose of cultural resentment, being willing to go to a very dark place, leavened by occasional touches of humanity. No pretense of policy substance hes not appealing to the rational parts of peoples brains, and hes proud of it. How it all adds up, I dont really know Im not the intended audience for these speeches.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/gop-convention-day-one/

Sums it up well for me...

TH

Yes, trump is trying (fairly successfully so far) to HYPNOTIZE the American people in a similar way as other historical fascist demagogues have done before. Indeed, it has nothing to do with rationality or intellect.

Sadly, stirring up those lacking in rationality or intellect appears to be the base strategy. As in Britain, unfortunately do not underestimate the stoked-up (or in this case 'Trumped-up') levels of manipulated fear and ignorance there is in the USA at present. If just enough to push the rust belt states over the line this would equate to a win for Trump (and a very dangerous one for the US -and the rest of US...)

You mean the Baton Rouge, Bastille day and the German train horror events just today were nothing more than fear mongering?

Edited by Berty100

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below are exact transcripts of excerpts from both wives' speeches. I bolded the phrases in Melania's which were copied from Michelle's speech......

Melania's speech

From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life. That your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise. That you treat people with respect. They thought and showed me values and morals in their daily life. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son, and we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because –

Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

Michelle's speech from 2012

And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: like, you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond; that you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them and even if you don't agree with them.

And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values and to pass them onto the next generation, because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work hard for them.

And...... for political junkies out there, here's how NPR's bean counters see the race shaping up:

Four states are 'toss-ups' at this time: Iowa, Ohio, N.Carolina and Pennsylvania. Florida is going Dem.

Below are exact transcripts of excerpts from both wives' speeches. I bolded the phrases in Melania's which were copied from Michelle's speech......

Melania's speech

From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life. That your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise. That you treat people with respect. They thought and showed me values and morals in their daily life. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son, and we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because –

Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

Michelle's speech from 2012

And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: like, you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond; that you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them and even if you don't agree with them.

And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values and to pass them onto the next generation, because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work hard for them.

And...... for political junkies out there, here's how NPR's bean counters see the race shaping up:

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/18/486386980/npr-battleground-map-ahead-of-the-conventions-where-does-the-race-stand

Four states are 'toss-ups' at this time: Iowa, Ohio, N.Carolina and Pennsylvania. Florida is going Dem.

Amazing. Didn't they have somebody check her speech for plagiarism? I mean, it's not like it was unexpected with this fraudulent clan.

WATCH: Melania Trump Said She Mostly Wrote RNC Speech Herself

Shortly before her speech, while standing next to Donnie, Melania Trump tells NBC’s Matt Lauer of her RNC speech:

“I read once over it and that’s all because I wrote it with as little help as possible.”

Video here:

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/melania-trump-plagiarized-plagiarism-speech-rnc-michelle-obama-republican-national-convention-wrote-herself-video-watch/

whistling.gif

Edited by iReason

WATCH: Melania Trump Said She Mostly Wrote RNC Speech Herself

Shortly before her speech, while standing next to Donnie, Melania Trump tells NBC’s Matt Lauer of her RNC speech:

“I read once over it and that’s all because I wrote it with as little help as possible.”

Video here:

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/melania-trump-plagiarized-plagiarism-speech-rnc-michelle-obama-republican-national-convention-wrote-herself-video-watch/

whistling.gif

:lol: The Trumps: integrity at its finest hour. Maybe the RNC should buy the software checker turnitin, which checks for plagiarism, and run it on every speech this week before another terrible embarrassment.

I think she was set up. This could not have been an accident. Someone on the inside (or recently on the inside) is trying to derail Trump's campaign.

That is most likely the explaination.

After all, why would a Babe like Melina intentionally copy a speech by Mooch? whistling.gif

Edited by Boon Mee

Melania Trump: From Small-Town Slovenia to Doorstep of White House

00sloveniaweb1-master675.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/us/politics/melania-trump-slovenia.html

You've come a long way Baby! smile.png

And of course she married him for his youth, extreme good looks, winning personality and most certainly that wonderful hairstyle. I wonder if she would have married Joe the plumber?

and most certainly that wonderful hairstyle.

post-94947-0-87532100-1468924757_thumb.j

Republicans offer so much fun for the rest of us.

There was even a 'Rick roll' part on Melanie's speech.

What comes next, probably: Donald will say that his wife was attacked from inside and he'll give up the presidential race.

The only difference is that todays speech was brought by an elegant lady, while the 2012 speech was brought by someone with the body language of a muay Thai fighter

Response to #4581 Is it too late to stop the Donald Trump machine?: post #4581 slipperylobster

abowe?

lol
you are not a native english speaker..are you?

No I am not a native english speaker, we are many TV members who isn´t. Tell me that you never misspelled a word?

Edited by Skywalker69

I think she was set up. This could not have been an accident. Someone on the inside (or recently on the inside) is trying to derail Trump's campaign.

After all, why would a Babe like Melina intentionally copy a speech by Mooch? whistling.gif

This might help someone like you understand, though it's probably useless. Michelle Obama: B.A. Cum Laude, Princeton, J.D. Harvard. Melania: No proof of finishing high school, and fraudulently claims to have graduated 'college.'

What comes next, probably: Donald will say that his wife was attacked from inside and he'll give up the presidential race.

The only difference is that todays speech was brought by an elegant lady, while the 2012 speech was brought by someone with the body language of a muay Thai fighter

You're seriously dissing Michelle Obama? Good luck with that! She is VERY popular.

You're seriously dissing Michelle Obama? Good luck with that! She is VERY popular.

My comments have nothing to do with dissing or popularity rates, it are my observations, and I think I'm not alone in that.

Edited by Berty100

My take on it was that this was a very calculated move on the part of the Trump campaign.

Melania is clearly not very politically astute, or at the very least she is a big wildcard. There is a big risk bringing her out, which is why she has been on the sidelines up until now. I think she did write this speech "mostly" by herself (conveniently relieving the speech writers of responsibility), but obviously with instructions from the campaign. And those instructions were likely to say exactly what Michelle Obama did. This tactic makes it impossible for the Democrats to criticize the content of her speech, and this was a real risk if she did anything else.

Sure, there are complaints that she wasn't original, but those are easily handled or ignored, and importantly they don't introduce any significant ripples in the campaign plans. This will not derail the campaign. An original comment that could be taken out of context however very well could have. She is not the kind of person who can defend herself.

Keep in mind that Trump's campaign must have signed off on that speech. I very much doubt that all of his advisors, as smart as they are, would not have mentioned that it sounded an awful lot like Michelle Obama's speech, or that they were all complicit in a conspiracy. That just strikes me as wishful thinking. These people are not that stupid, despite what we would like to believe.

Nate Silver's (from five thirty eight) take of day one:

A very heavy dose of cultural resentment, being willing to go to a very dark place, leavened by occasional touches of humanity. No pretense of policy substance hes not appealing to the rational parts of peoples brains, and hes proud of it. How it all adds up, I dont really know Im not the intended audience for these speeches.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/gop-convention-day-one/

Sums it up well for me...

TH

Yes, trump is trying (fairly successfully so far) to HYPNOTIZE the American people in a similar way as other historical fascist demagogues have done before. Indeed, it has nothing to do with rationality or intellect.

Sadly, stirring up those lacking in rationality or intellect appears to be the base strategy. As in Britain, unfortunately do not underestimate the stoked-up (or in this case 'Trumped-up') levels of manipulated fear and ignorance there is in the USA at present. If just enough to push the rust belt states over the line this would equate to a win for Trump (and a very dangerous one for the US -and the rest of US...)

You mean the Baton Rouge, Bastille day and the German train horror events just today were nothing more than fear mongering?

Berty, thank you for precisely demonstrating the point I was making.

These were vile, despicable, cowardly acts by demented, vengeful, wacko, losers who all had a built-in preponderance to 'go postal' at some point. Sickeningly, they attempt to 'justify' cowardly murder by attaching their despicable acts to a 'cause' and/or a 'religion'.

Many then react by tarnishing EVERYONE in the ENTIRE religion or cause and beat a path to Trump to save them from essentially extremist wackos. Meanwhile, Trump knowingly stirs and feeds straight into all this. The end result? Even more extremist wackos on both sides will be created or triggered.

You probably won't get this point and you likely represent a slight majority on both sides of the pond. If so then we are truly doomed to accelerate unto a very bleak future. As a once staunch conservative pushed to the more rational centre now, I wish my former colleagues would adopt a bit of mettle and rationality as we all need you to now. Unfortunately thus far the convention speakers have mostly just stoked more bleakness, hate and fear. .

Edited by sujoop

B.S. It was not intentional. Nobody would believe that.

Some incredibly stupid theories being advanced to explain away idea theft by a bimbo who probably doesn't even know what she did wrong.

Did you take note that because of this minor "issue", actually the entire US is discussing Trump once again? laugh.png

Some incredibly stupid theories being advanced to explain away idea theft by a bimbo who probably doesn't even know what she did wrong.

Did you take note that because of this minor "issue", actually the entire US is discussing Trump once again? laugh.png

Sure. So the strategy is to make his wife look like a bimbo who stole Michelle's speech just to get more free publicity. Dirtbagedness at its highest level.

Sure. So the strategy is to make his wife look like a bimbo who stole Michelle's speech just to get more free publicity. Dirtbagedness at its highest level.

No the strategy is to get free publicity, something crooked Hilary has to pay top dollars for.

And so far Trump has done a tremendous job at that.

It was a very stupid mistake whichever way you look at it If it was intentional (extremely unlikely) then they must have realised that the media would jump on it and ridicule the Trump campaign. If they thought that nobody would notice the plagiarism then that is even more naïve. The news channels in the UK are having great fun with it, understandably!

What is Trump's take on the Baton Rouge killings by the ex-marine who had done a tour of duty in Iraq?

^^^

@Post 80 Berty100

The best thing that happened with that "strategy" is, the Bimbo is the headline news. Around the world. Front page.

And that "strategy" buried the Bloviator's Day One "message" with his fear and hate mongering speakers.

Along with their bleak doomsday rhetoric. thumbsup.gif

The Bloviator must be fuming... cheesy.gif

While bearing in mind, according to the OP of this thread:

"Campaign chairman Paul Manafort said Trump would "eventually" outline policy specifics but not at the convention."

So, the Clown Train has nothing of substance to say anyway...

Keep in mind that Trump's campaign must have signed off on that speech. I very much doubt that all of his advisors, as smart as they are, would not have mentioned that it sounded an awful lot like Michelle Obama's speech, or that they were all complicit in a conspiracy. That just strikes me as wishful thinking. These people are not that stupid, despite what we would like to believe.

Could have fooled me. I've seen Trump's advisors and spokespeople speaking at interviews. They are THAT stupid. Sorry to break it to you. In their defense, they're paid to justify an ignorant shyster's many ignorant statements, so it's a tough row to hoe.

Did Trump's very smart advisors tell him to deny he was John Miller? Either Trump himself denied the obvious and it proves for the umpteenth time what a low-class liar he is, or his controllers told him to deny it. Either way, they're all a bunch of donkeys' asses. Note: Trump admitted, years earlier, that HE was indeed John Miller. It's akin to Trump saying he was never in favor of Iraq War II, when it's on the record that he was in favor of invading - prior to the invasion.

Melania's lifting of dozens of phrases from Michelle's speech is not necessarily something Trump's handlers would have noticed. As I asserted above; they're not the brightest bulbs on the Xmas tree. It took liberals to figure it out, and they did it in minutes.

White girls are 'elegant'. Black girls have 'body language'.

Thank you for conforming to stereotype.

No acknowledgement of the First Lady's education, eloquence or whatever black girls have to accept as a substitute for 'elegance'.

Patricia Smith knocked it out of the park with her speech on her son's death, laying the blame squarely where it belongs, on Hillary.

I hope Trump gets some of Bill's rape victims up there to give the truth about him and Hillary's cover up of all that.

There has to be serious discussion now about dropping Hillary from the ticket.

A passage about 'hard work'........ROTFPMWL

"After journalists began noticing the problem and looking for some kind of explanation, Donald Trump’s campaign team issued a statement that was almost as baffling as the plagiarism itself: “In writing her beautiful speech, Melania’s team of writers took notes on her life’s inspirations, and in some instances included fragments that reflected her own thinking. Melania’s immigrant experience and love for America shone through in her speech, which made it such a success.”