congratulations brexit voters

That Brexit apocalypse? It just isn’t happening Planning to leave the EU isn’t destroying our economy; a hysterical policy response just might

You sure about that.

Brexit causes dramatic drop in UK economy

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36864273

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/933681-brexit-deals-heavy-hit-to-uk-economy-but-eurozone-holds-up/

We can only hope that when this comes to a Commons vote enough MPs have the guts to vote against Article 50 being invoked.

Surely they cannot just sit by and watch as the U.K goes down the pan.

I feel desperately for my Grandchildren and Nephews/Nieces who will bare the brunt of this.

At the moment there futures are looking decidedly bleak.

But exports are way up , lets see what happens next month , you may find that the reason the economy shrank was people were waiting to see what happened .

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That Brexit apocalypse? It just isn’t happening Planning to leave the EU isn’t destroying our economy; a hysterical policy response just might

You sure about that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/933681-brexit-deals-heavy-hit-to-uk-economy-but-eurozone-holds-up/

We can only hope that when this comes to a Commons vote enough MPs have the guts to vote against Article 50 being invoked.

I feel desperately for my Grandchildren and Nephews/Nieces who will bare the brunt of this.

But exports are way up , lets see what happens next month , you may find that the reason the economy shrank was people were waiting to see what happened .

Phew, let's count our blessings that the UK is a perfect location for manufacturing due to it's endless natural resources. Or not, as the case may be.

The UKs top 10 exports:

1. Machines, engines, pumps: US$63.9 billion (13.9% of total exports)
  2. Gems, precious metals: $53 billion (11.5%)
  3. Vehicles: $50.7 billion (11%)
  4. Pharmaceuticals: $36 billion (7.8%)
  5. Oil: $33.2 billion (7.2%)
  6. Electronic equipment: $29 billion (6.3%)
  7. Aircraft, spacecraft: $18.9 billion (4.1%)
  8. Medical, technical equipment: $18.4 billion (4%)
  9. Organic chemicals: $14 billion (3%)
  10. Plastics: $11.8 billion (2.6%)

All of which require raw materials to be imported, with a weakened sterling.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I think it's still way too early to draw any conclusions about how brexit will affect the economy.

You are correct, but so far in the last week, which we might interpret as the "current situation" is that the BOE Governor has said that there is no evidence of an economic slowdown, whilst a survey sent out to a number of businesses results showed that the future looked more uncertain, so I guess that it depends what you look at and what questions you ask, sure you will find the support whatever you want it to. The £ is down, who did not expect that happen, the bigger problem for some is how long will it stay at the current level, prudent people would have made plans well before the vote. The markets are up and the economy is certainly not in meltdown. Things seem to be starting to stabilize for a while, the next thing to look out for will be when the court case re the referendum comes before the court in October, if it fails as I expect that will produce an uplift, then there will be the next moment of instability when the article 50 is triggered and the process begins, I forecast another uplift, they are only my opinions and you may different ones, which you are entitled to have and share. Either I will be right or wrong, it wont affect me that much if I am wrong or right, the world will carry on just as it always does, I might have to make some adjustments, then I have to adapt.

Speculating on the future is always interesting though dont you think?

Cricket went well yesterday, how will it go today?

Edited by nong38

Its correct Britain (as an EU Member) cannot make their own trade agreements---------YET

But what is to stop the UK negotiating a non-CCP agreement that takes effect when EU law (and the CCP) cease to apply? Negotiating is not applying.

Actually, the other problem is -should the UK be able to vote on EU matters knowing that it will be on the other negotiating side (or a competitor) soon? This is obvious post Art 50 notification, but I think it is a problem even today, They were shut out of a meeting last week---when they still are a voting member..

I wonder how long it'll take before the gloating brexiteers realise they've been duped, and none of what they thought they voted for is going to happen?

There',s no shortage of bad losers on this thread, personally I think they made the best decision of their entire lives,only surprise is how long it took them to wise up.

Do you mean the brexiteers , made the best decision of their lives ,

when, they decided to abandon/ leave the UK , and live in Thailand , yet they still want to reap UK benefits .

All expatts are , by definition Brexiteers , lest we forget , therefore they should not be entitled to claim UK benefits , pensions , etc .

OUCH . You have been warned , rough waters ahead, under the new 2017 regulations , Mr Mannering facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

You do post some crap at times.. All expats are NOT Brexiteers though many may be and many of us became expats long before Brexit and most of us are NOT claiming benefits but our ENTITLEMENT.

Read and try to understand the meaning of the word benefit.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/benefit

benefit noun (MONEY FROM GOVERNMENT)

[ C or U ] UK US usually benefits the money given by the government to people who need financial help, for example because they cannot find a job:

unemployment benefit
I'm on benefit at the moment.
If they could not prove they were looking for work, they could lose their benefit.
We can help you find out if you qualify for any benefits.

benefit noun (EMPLOYEE EXTRAS)

[ C ] something such as a pension or health insurance that an employee receives in addition to their salary (= money):

Management is trying to cut employee pay and benefits.
There are many ways you can use retirement benefits to recruit the best workers.

I left the UK back in 1999 long before Brexit was ever dreamt of (except perhaps by Nigel Farage) and not only do I reap the benefits FOR WHICH I HAVE PAID INTO SINCE I WAS A BOY IN 1959 but it is NOT a benefit since I worked for it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entitlement

Full Definition of entitlement
  1. 1 a : the state or condition of being entitled : right b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract

2. 2 : a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program

3. 3 : belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

See entitlement defined for English-language learner

I can post the definitions for you but I cannot do your thinking for you.

It may help other posters if you do some research before you post.

Pensions I am sorry to inform you are NOT a benefit but an entitlement based on a contract between myself, my employers and the government. Both my employers AND myself paid into a government fund to provide a pension which we had NO choice in paying into and it is the governments responsibility to pay it out again.I retired in 2009 and due to my forethought in working for 3 different employers and myself I have a reasonable set of pensions. However the government still insists on my paying income tax and I have no doubt that I will still be paying tax until the day that I die.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but here's my two penneth.

I went back to the UK in June with two objectives in mind, one to vote 'remain' in the referendum and also to see England at least get into the semi finals of the football. On both issues I was dissapointed.

Anyway, we are where we are, but I found, that in talking to people (including my own family) there were loads of different reasons why people voted the way they did. My 'remain' vote was one. A selfish view on what would happen to the pound if we left, whereas my daughter vote 'leave' because she felt she was being lectured to 'remain' by Amber Rudd and Nicola Sturgeon in one of the television debaltes (project 'fear') She also objected to George Osborne's threats of emergency budgets.

It was really strange, in that you could ask people how they voted and they would happily tell you. If it were a general election, people would say 'mind your own business' but not in this case.

Honestly, I was one of those who thought a referendum on such a complex issue was ill-advised and I suppose we can 'blame' Cameron and even Nigel for that - both of whom have now jumped ship and essentially said 'Let someone else sort it out" Mind you, I think Nigel will be back.

This is not an 'anti Brexit' post. That was the decision, but if Teresa has no intention of moving on the formal exit process until next year then that might prove disasterous. Or, is it playing this thing 'long' to maybe consult the electorate in 2017 when the dust has settled and prices in the shops for imported goods rise, by way of another refefendum or general election. ?

I guess nothing would surprise us. I'm just gladI bought enought sterling over pre referendum to last me a year, tosee what happens.

You sure about that.

"I feel desperately for my Grandchildren and Nephews/Nieces who will bare the brunt of this".

They'd look a sight bleaker if we'd stayed in the EU.

Youth unemployment is 50% in Greece, 45% in Italy and 40% in Spain and has been getting worse with increased levels of immigration thanks to the open door policies of the EU.

Greece, Spain and Italy are all in the EU and are not very happy with how it's working out for their younger generations.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but here's my two penneth.

I went back to the UK in June with two objectives in mind, one to vote 'remain' in the referendum and also to see England at least get into the semi finals of the football. On both issues I was dissapointed.

Anyway, we are where we are, but I found, that in talking to people (including my own family) there were loads of different reasons why people voted the way they did. My 'remain' vote was one. A selfish view on what would happen to the pound if we left, whereas my daughter vote 'leave' because she felt she was being lectured to 'remain' by Amber Rudd and Nicola Sturgeon in one of the television debaltes (project 'fear') She also objected to George Osborne's threats of emergency budgets.

It was really strange, in that you could ask people how they voted and they would happily tell you. If it were a general election, people would say 'mind your own business' but not in this case.

Honestly, I was one of those who thought a referendum on such a complex issue was ill-advised and I suppose we can 'blame' Cameron and even Nigel for that - both of whom have now jumped ship and essentially said 'Let someone else sort it out" Mind you, I think Nigel will be back.

This is not an 'anti Brexit' post. That was the decision, but if Teresa has no intention of moving on the formal exit process until next year then that might prove disasterous. Or, is it playing this thing 'long' to maybe consult the electorate in 2017 when the dust has settled and prices in the shops for imported goods rise, by way of another refefendum or general election. ?

I guess nothing would surprise us. I'm just gladI bought enought sterling over pre referendum to last me a year, tosee what happens.

I applaud your post which is very welcome after the standard contributions from the Thai Visa sore losers crowd.

I admire your stance and I believe my view would be the same if the vote had gone against me. I would have been disappointed with the result but would have respected the decision and campaigned for reforms on the back of the less than unanimous support for remain.

Sour grapes and crying "foul" would not have been in my repertoire.

As a 'Leave' voter my confidence caused me to only transfer 6 months money @ 52 - you are better protected than I am.smile.png

Youth unemployment is 50% in Greece, 45% in Italy and 40% in Spain and has been getting worse with increased levels of immigration thanks to the open door policies of the EU.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, so mine is that your comment above is xenophobe and total BS!

Youth unemployment has been at shockingly high levels in the countries you mentioned for a loooooooong time and is predominantly unrelated to immigration and foreigners taking away their jobs.

If you believe that for Italy or Spain leaving the EU will make life for those kids any better, I better hope you´ve already sent your letter to Santa Clause letting him know what you want for Christmas. Given your view on economic things and migration, I am sure you´ve already sent that letter.

Anyways, as I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether it is right or wrong, xenophobe or plain stupid. That´s the nice thing about democracy (yes, that´s the thing Britons, according to the Brexiteers, don´t (yet) enjoy because of the EU). But soon Britain will be free at last and then the promised rose garden and paradise will be for all to enjoy. /ironyoff

Its correct Britain (as an EU Member) cannot make their own trade agreements---------YET

But what is to stop the UK negotiating a non-CCP agreement that takes effect when EU law (and the CCP) cease to apply? Negotiating is not applying.

Actually, the other problem is -should the UK be able to vote on EU matters knowing that it will be on the other negotiating side (or a competitor) soon? This is obvious post Art 50 notification, but I think it is a problem even today, They were shut out of a meeting last week---when they still are a voting member..

The UK is still a member and will be involved in EU matters even after Art 50 is invoked. They cannot however be involved in any discussion or vote that involves the withdrawal process.

The outcome of the withdrawal process must be approved by the European parliament. This is from post No 198.

1. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, so mine is that your comment above is xenophobe and total BS!

Youth unemployment has been at shockingly high levels in the countries you mentioned for a loooooooong time and is predominantly unrelated to immigration and foreigners taking away their jobs.

If you believe that for Italy or Spain leaving the EU will make life for those kids any better, I better hope you´ve already sent your letter to Santa Clause letting him know what you want for Christmas. Given your view on economic things and migration, I am sure you´ve already sent that letter.

Anyways, as I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether it is right or wrong, xenophobe or plain stupid. That´s the nice thing about democracy (yes, that´s the thing Britons, according to the Brexiteers, don´t (yet) enjoy because of the EU). But soon Britain will be free at last and then the promised rose garden and paradise will be for all to enjoy. /ironyoff

Do you not fear for our young relatives' future and safety if we remain in the EU and lose what control of our borders we still have, they can easily become victims of terrorist attacks that are sweeping Europe right now and are unlikely to abate.

Terrorist attacks abound in the EU countries that promote multiculturalism, immigration and political correctness which are in Western Europe in the most prosperous and advanced nations.

The UK, France, Germany and Belgium are countries considered to be of High Alert in terms of Islamic terror attacks because they are so inundated with Muslims.

Croatia, Hungary, Poland and all the EE nations are considered to be at low risk because they have so few Muslims.

Therefore it has to be concluded that the countries who have the most Muslims are the most dangerously affected. Would you like to see your young ones grow up facing theses risks. Out of the EU we can pull the drawbridge up while in Europe Frau Merkel has forbidden any such precaution. She was hoping to unload some of the results of her lunacy upon us!

Edited by yogi100

Do you not fear for our young relatives' future and safety if we remain in the EU and lose what control of our borders we still have, they can easily become victims of terrorist attacks that are sweeping Europe right now and are unlikely to abate.

Terrorist attacks abound in the EU countries that promote multiculturalism, immigration and political correctness which are in Western Europe in the most prosperous and advanced nations.

The UK, France, Germany and Belgium are countries considered to be of High Alert in terms of Islamic terror attacks because they are so inundated with Muslims.

Croatia, Hungary, Poland and all the EE nations are considered to be at low risk because they have so few Muslims.

Therefore it has to be concluded that the countries who have the most Muslims are the most dangerously affected. Would you like to see your young ones grow up facing theses risks. Out of the EU we can pull the drawbridge up while in Europe Frau Merkel has forbidden any such precaution. She was hoping to unload some of the results of her lunacy upon us!

Nothing to do with western interference and western wars in the middle east then?!

I don't fear - because fear is exactly what they're trying to make us do, and I don't intend to let them win.

If you're not there, no need for fear.

And if you were there, not much chance they would grope/rape you, how does your wife feel about that?

Edited by MissAndry

As for the post saying that its the fault of western interference in these country's ,I do believe this has some bearing on things. So why don't these brave terrorists fight against the soldiers ,not murder little children eating at McDonald's,or run down babys in their prams with a lorry,so sorry if this does not wash with me,they are just killing in the name of their barbaric religion, all they want is the world to worship the way they worship their perversion of God

As for the post saying that its the fault of western interference in these country's ,I do believe this has some bearing on things. So why don't these brave terrorists fight against the soldiers ,not murder little children eating at McDonald's,or run down babys in their prams with a lorry,so sorry if this does not wash with me,they are just killing in the name of their barbaric religion, all they want is the world to worship the way they worship their perversion of God

The recent murderous attacks on innocent people in Germany , is a direct result of Western interference ,

meaning uncontrolled free passage , of enemies of the western world .

Angela Murkell , friend of the I.S.??? Where are the German people ? .

They were castrated ,by the Russians @ the Wall , Check Point Charlie .

Edited by elliss

I don't fear - because fear is exactly what they're trying to make us do, and I don't intend to let them win.

And if you were there, not much chance they would grope/rape you, how does your wife feel about that?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

You would have people believe that the Rotherham scandal was a result of belonging to the EU.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

You would have people believe that the Rotherham scandal was a result of belonging to the EU.

Is Rotherham twinned with east or west pakistan ?

How will you stop them?

The police and military in Europe don't seem to be able to do and they have vastly larger resources of manpower and intelligence networks than you do.

The recent murderous attacks on innocent people in Germany , is a direct result of Western interference ,

meaning uncontrolled free passage , of enemies of the western world .

Angela Murkell , friend of the I.S.??? Where are the German people ? .

They were castrated ,by the Russians @ the Wall , Check Point Charlie .

STOP DRINKING M8!

Seems you´ve had to much ....

Nothing to do with western interference and western wars in the middle east then?!

Quite right. We had no business poking our noses in affairs that were not our business. But why do you feel the need to ask me the question?

I was against our invasion of Iraq from day one!

We should keep out of Islamic nations and their affairs and keep their people out of ours.

Edited by yogi100