Thai Tourism Minister to discuss insurance cover for tourists

webfact

More Rubbish from this lady, look at the income from tourism, your Hospitals should stop dual pricing, and for god stake stop whingeing , or you may see a serious downturn in tourism

It is a complicated issue but I agree in general to what you are saying, perhaps Thailand should have different policies for different nationalities, treat them as they would be treated in the UK or Europe for example, more and more Thais are traveling abroad these days and they are generally taken care of for free in most countries they visit

I have seen evidence of Thai hospitals milking or taking advantage of foreigners that fall ill, hiking treatments and prices to maximise profits, it is big business and as I have said many times - money number one

In Europe, Thais need a visa, and one of the requirements for a visa is an insurance policy with a coverage of at least 30.000 euro, such an insurance can be obtained in Thailand for about 3000 baht. There is no such thing as free treatment...

If you buy an insurance with the same sum insured in Germany it will cost you under 1000 Baht.

with a coverage of at least 90 days ? That is very cheap, here in the Netherlands such an arrangement would cost you at around 175 euro with a compulsory excess of 75 euro. Hard to believe that would only cost 25 euros in Germany !

Yes, it costs 25 EUR in Germany. They call it "additional travel insurance", and you can get it if - and only if - you already have a valid health insurance in Germany.

Good for tourists that have one.

Bad for German pensioners when they get kicked out of the European social security system once they go overseas, eg to Thailand.

There's contracts that Germany has with foreign countries in the EU. Not Thailand, they're not part of the EU. Dear Germans, like it or not, Thailand is a sovereign Asian country, and it's not part of the EU. Thailand is also not part of the SEPA banking system, you know.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Rubbish from this lady, look at the income from tourism, your Hospitals should stop dual pricing, and for god stake stop whingeing , or you may see a serious downturn in tourism

It is a complicated issue but I agree in general to what you are saying, perhaps Thailand should have different policies for different nationalities, treat them as they would be treated in the UK or Europe for example, more and more Thais are traveling abroad these days and they are generally taken care of for free in most countries they visit

I have seen evidence of Thai hospitals milking or taking advantage of foreigners that fall ill, hiking treatments and prices to maximise profits, it is big business and as I have said many times - money number one

In Europe, Thais need a visa, and one of the requirements for a visa is an insurance policy with a coverage of at least 30.000 euro, such an insurance can be obtained in Thailand for about 3000 baht. There is no such thing as free treatment...

If you buy an insurance with the same sum insured in Germany it will cost you under 1000 Baht.

with a coverage of at least 90 days ? That is very cheap, here in the Netherlands such an arrangement would cost you at around 175 euro with a compulsory excess of 75 euro. Hard to believe that would only cost 25 euros in Germany !

Yes, it costs 25 EUR in Germany. They call it "additional travel insurance", and you can get it if - and only if - you already have a valid health insurance in Germany.

Bad for German pensioners when they get kicked out of the European social security system once they go overseas, eg to Thailand.

There's contracts that Germany has with foreign countries in the EU. Not Thailand, they're not part of the EU. Dear Germans, like it or not, Thailand is a sovereign Asian country, and it's not part of the EU. Thailand is also not part of the SEPA banking system, you know.

many country consulates ask to see a copy of the travel insurance policy before approving a visa. a 30 day waiver travel insurance policy can be bought and paid at the airport say 3,000 baht before being allowed entry. If you stay longer than the policy period you will be billed the extra period on the way out. Like overstaying your policy period

A bit complicated if you ask me - the former is workable (asking for insurance proof before issuing a visa) but how would overlanders arriving by land be treated? Be asked to pay 3000 Baht at Aranyaprathet immigration before being stamped in, otherwise get shoved off back to Cambodia? Also, these very same people may be traveling the region and arrived in Bangkok by air, got their insurance, then did Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos before arriving back in Thailand by land before going to Myanmar. If they came 3-4 times over the course of a few weeks or months using the visa waiver scheme (which they are entitled to do) this would surely become a big pain in the butt if it means purchasing a new policy upon each re-entry.

Even at the airport, this would be fraught with difficulty - much better to require proof of insurance of a policy you purchased at home, that you show at immigration (but this would need to be communicated to all travelers heading to Thailand beforehand and posted at all land border crossings). If your idea were implemented, I can just imagine the chaos, confusion and drama that would ensue as credit cards are rejected and ATMs run dry of notes. If I remember correctly, there aren't even any Thai Baht ATMs before immigration anyway so a traveler would need to pass immigration first before withdrawing money. While there are also money changers before immigration, not everyone carries [enough] foreign cash and neither do these money changers deal in changing large amounts.

Similarly, payment upon exit would result in long lines, passengers missing flights, holiding up cross-border buses to Malaysia, Laos or Cambodia and then you have the same problem when it comes to payment. In fact, at the land borders it would be exacerbated by hard to find or non-functioning ATMs, lack of money changers and general confusion. The few overstayers who pay fines upon exiting usually come with money they withdrew beforehand, but large numbers of tourists finding themselves having to pay additional charges for extra days spent in Thailand beyond their insurance policy? An absolute nightmare!

I can also see a problem with foreigners [expats] who aren't considered tourists - those on multi-entry business or marriage visas, retirement, marriage and business extensions of stay. How would they be treated? Or would they be as is common in Thailand, treated as tourists? How about Lao, Burmese or Cambodian migrant workers (I know they have access to some sort of health insurance scheme, but in fairness this would also need to be proven as Thailand can't just discriminate against one nationality over another).

Long story short this would be an expensive headache - no other country enforces any similar scheme so Thailand's tourism would, if this were implemented, plummet almost immediately.

many country consulates ask to see a copy of the travel insurance policy before approving a visa. a 30 day waiver travel insurance policy can be bought and paid at the airport say 3,000 baht before being allowed entry. If you stay longer than the policy period you will be billed the extra period on the way out. Like overstaying your policy period

A bit complicated if you ask me - the former is workable (asking for insurance proof before issuing a visa) but how would overlanders arriving by land be treated? Be asked to pay 3000 Baht at Aranyaprathet immigration before being stamped in, otherwise get shoved off back to Cambodia? Also, these very same people may be traveling the region and arrived in Bangkok by air, got their insurance, then did Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos before arriving back in Thailand by land before going to Myanmar. If they came 3-4 times over the course of a few weeks or months using the visa waiver scheme (which they are entitled to do) this would surely become a big pain in the butt if it means purchasing a new policy upon each re-entry.

Even at the airport, this would be fraught with difficulty - much better to require proof of insurance of a policy you purchased at home, that you show at immigration (but this would need to be communicated to all travelers heading to Thailand beforehand and posted at all land border crossings). If your idea were implemented, I can just imagine the chaos, confusion and drama that would ensue as credit cards are rejected and ATMs run dry of notes. If I remember correctly, there aren't even any Thai Baht ATMs before immigration anyway so a traveler would need to pass immigration first before withdrawing money. While there are also money changers before immigration, not everyone carries [enough] foreign cash and neither do these money changers deal in changing large amounts.

Similarly, payment upon exit would result in long lines, passengers missing flights, holiding up cross-border buses to Malaysia, Laos or Cambodia and then you have the same problem when it comes to payment. In fact, at the land borders it would be exacerbated by hard to find or non-functioning ATMs, lack of money changers and general confusion. The few overstayers who pay fines upon exiting usually come with money they withdrew beforehand, but large numbers of tourists finding themselves having to pay additional charges for extra days spent in Thailand beyond their insurance policy? An absolute nightmare!

I can also see a problem with foreigners [expats] who aren't considered tourists - those on multi-entry business or marriage visas, retirement, marriage and business extensions of stay. How would they be treated? Or would they be as is common in Thailand, treated as tourists? How about Lao, Burmese or Cambodian migrant workers (I know they have access to some sort of health insurance scheme, but in fairness this would also need to be proven as Thailand can't just discriminate against one nationality over another).

Long story short this would be an expensive headache - no other country enforces any similar scheme so Thailand's tourism would, if this were implemented, plummet almost immediately.

In fact, I believe asking tourists to provide proof of insurance to be almost equally chaotic. What do you think are the chances of people forgetting it altogether, or equally worse, provide proof in their native language ?

For visa issuance this is much less of a problem, especially if these visas are issued at the country of birth or residence (one of the reasons why the METV is done this way). Imagine the queues when this proof of insurance has to be checked at immigration, those queues can be horrendous at times as it stands.

You are comparing apples and oranges in this case, as the price of the one in Thailand isn't an addition to an already existing health ensurance scheme, as always it sounded far to good to be true biggrin.png

And to be complete, the 3000 baht one (actually 3200 baht or so) covers 2x 90 days with a validity of one year. So it's good for two Schengen trips. The one that only covers 90 days was around 2000 baht if I recall correctly.

Edited by sjaak327

You are comparing apples and oranges in this case, as the price of the one in Thailand isn't an addition to an already existing health ensurance scheme, as always it sounded far to good to be true biggrin.png

And to be complete, the 3000 baht one (actually 3200 baht or so) covers 2x 90 days with a validity of one year. So it's good for two Schengen trips. The one that only covers 90 days was around 2000 baht if I recall correctly.

The 25 EUR additional travel insurance used to be good for 2 months travel wherever you wanted to go. I never tried if those Germans would keep their promises in case of disease because I was never sick. But I had the contract with me all the time as long as I worked in Germany.

A health insurance for Thais in EU is a completely different thing, and it's a shame that Thai people need a Schengen visa even for a short trip to Europe. Europeans in Thailand don't need a visa at all if they only remain up to 4 weeks in the kingdom.

Why the hell should I or any other responsible tourist pay anything at all, even 6 baht, for the irresponsible tourists who are the leeches on the Thai Health and Emergency Services because they don't take out any travel, particularly medical expenses, before they travel?! I already pay in my UK taxes for those who arrive in the UK with no insurance and receive treatment under our wonderful NHS and then go on their way clutching a bill which they promise to pay then disappear!!! I thought Thailand was a Military State not a nanny State!

Why the hell should I or any other responsible tourist pay anything at all, even 6 baht, for the irresponsible tourists who are the leeches on the Thai Health and Emergency Services because they don't take out any travel, particularly medical expenses, before they travel?! I already pay in my UK taxes for those who arrive in the UK with no insurance and receive treatment under our wonderful NHS and then go on their way clutching a bill which they promise to pay then disappear!!! I thought Thailand was a Military State not a nanny State!

You paid your taxes in the UK? Good for you, but when in Thailand you use Thai infrastructure. Did you ever pay for this?

Would you mind Thailand becoming a social welfare state for Thais? In fact, Thailand already has her own social standards, and they're maybe better than those in the UK.

You paid your taxes in the UK? Good for you, but when in Thailand you use Thai infrastructure. Did you ever pay for this?

Would you mind Thailand becoming a social welfare state for Thais? In fact, Thailand already has her own social standards, and they're maybe better than those in the UK.

I think you have completely misunderstood my post or perhaps I should have said "Why the hell should I or any other responsible tourist or Thai Government or Thai taxpayer pay anything at all." Where in my comments which are critical of irresponsible non-insured tourists have I said or implied anything against Thailand, its taxpayers, its welfare state or its social standards. My comments were critical of our NHS not Thailand where as regular visitors over many years we have availed ourselves of the excellent Thai hospital service and one occasion had to be repatriated because of a cancer diagnosis and initial treatment for my wife, all paid for by our travel insurance.

Would it not be a good idea to cover everyone, not just tourists. For example a bond system where the expat long stayers on whatever type of visa, deposits, let’s say for arguments sake between Married visa 400K and retirement visa 800K, 600K?

The bond would be held for the duration of the stay and it would cover all medical, repatriation cost. Etc.

Or one could just take out a medical plan such as BUPA- like I did.

She said that many parties have objected to the plan to use the government budget for this insurance scheme.

I agree, why should my taxes pay for a foreigners medical expenses - just ask the foreigners when entering the country to show proof of medical insurance to an agreed amount before a Visa is granted

and at every extension application and 90 day report. Seasoned of course so that people cannot take a policy one day and cancel it the next.

Sounds fair?

Can't get insurance...sorry...out you go.

There really is simply no possible one-size-fits-all solution, at least not one that won't kill tourism. Blacklist the deadbeats when they don't pay, and over time word will get out. Throw in some int'l reciprocity, and people doing this will become the exception rather than the rule. Creating yet more pig troughs is not an answer.

"She said that many parties have objected to the plan to use the government budget for this insurance scheme."

Of course they object, because she has it turned around. They naturally would expect to use the insurance scheme for their, emm, personal budgets...

For example:

100,000 expats living in Thailand.

All must have a state controlled or state insurance.

Pre-existing conditions no problem, age no problem.

Hospitalisation only or in+out for higher premium.

Premium 2000 baht per month

Total 2,400,000,000 baht income from premiums paid.

Make a list of all possible treatment, fix the price, and force all hospitals, including the well known usurpers, to treat patients with this insurance.

There will be a good profit for the state or the insurance companies.

Edited by hansnl

This is a winner!!

More money how can you argue with that. However the EU, US/ Canada might institue their own fees for insurance on Thais traveling in their country, a quid pro quo. Can you imagine all the hollering and screaming Thai Pu-Yais who vacation overseason would let loose if that happens, woohoo! biggrin.png

Would it not be a good idea to cover everyone, not just tourists. For example a bond system where the expat long stayers on whatever type of visa, deposits, let’s say for arguments sake between Married visa 400K and retirement visa 800K, 600K?

The bond would be held for the duration of the stay and it would cover all medical, repatriation cost. Etc.

That would leave out a lot of people who can't even afford covering retirement visas. If you get a low pension you can afford a cheap lifestyle in Thailand but not much more.

Edited by balo

I like the idea of the 6 baht plan for short time tourists , let's say up to 1 month.

30 mill visitors x 6 = 180 mill baht

So that will cover them in most cases.

Expats and retired people living here for years need to pay a lot more.

That would leave out a lot of people who can't even afford covering retirement visas. If you get a low pension you can afford a cheap lifestyle in Thailand but not much more.

The 600K would be refundable on your departure and if you were to pass away here then it would either go to your spouse or whoever you nominated.

If you don’t have the 600k available then I am sure there could be a scheme where you had the deposit paid by a finance company who held the deposit and you were liable for paying say 2K per month non-refundable.

The benefit I see is that the requirements for visa’s would not be so restrictive and everybody regardless of age or marital status would have the same opportunities.

I like the idea of the 6 baht plan for short time tourists , let's say up to 1 month.

30 mill visitors x 6 = 180 mill baht

So that will cover them in most cases.

Expats and retired people living here for years need to pay a lot more.

Well, it'll "cover" somebody somewhere for something... 'Not sure I would want to bet my life on it being available or providing for my medical care in the event of an emergency. No, wait a minute. I'm sure. I wouldn't...

Migrant workers can buy into the 30-baht scheme for, I heard, 2000 baht.

Many "farang" could also opt for this scheme, but that was ended, those in it were thrown out and got money back minus paid bills under this scheme.

Regrading any Thai insurance, certainly the cheap stuff....

My Mrs went hospital on the 30 THB scheme once (and only once) here in Phrachuap, for dental work i think....she was going through one of her mean moments, thinking what she saved on the real dental clinic she could spend on beer

The outcome which was voiced vociferously was................. the vet treated the dogs better!!bah.gif