AIS Internet Packages

DUS

Hi,

I could really need your help with the following question:

I am currently using an AIS prepaid SIM. The original internet package I booked ran out a few days ago so, today, I started to look into my options for another 30 days package. And here´s where I am getting confused by all the various options and promos available on the AIS website. So, here are the 2 things I looked into:

a/ My "default choice" in the past has been (I think) a NET SIM Package which offered 3G Max Speed 1GB and AiS WiFi Unlimited for 299 Baht/month.

b/ When I looked for this package online, I also came across the following offer under the "One Time Add-On Pack" "Super Speed Package" banner which offers 1GB of internet for 150B for 30 days.

As I am not using AIS WiFi it looks like the second deal, the "Super Speed Package" is a much better deal at roughly half the price of the package I used before. But I am not sure if I am missing something in the small print etc. I find it more than surprising that AIS offers very similar packages at such vastly different price points (at least in terms of the percentage difference).

Is there any downside to using this Super Speed Package for 30 days?

Cheers

DUS

Running Android? Install AIS app

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

???

But the answer is "No, I don´t use an Android phone"....

But what´s got to do with my question re the 2 different AIS packages on offer?

I think the app is also available for iPhone. Download it and play with it. I used to use the cheapest package and when my data is used up I get sms to add 1gb for 30 days for 99 baht

I think my package is Bt899 for 12Gb valid for a month. It activates automatically when I land in Thailand after I top up with sufficient Baht.

Go to an AIS shop and ask.

Edited by Chicog

One thing you have to be careful about when comparing Thai mobile internet packages is they often have varying maximum speeds for bandwidth AFTER you've reached/exceeded the full speed amount of data in the package.

That can range from 64 kbps up to 512 kbps. That can be one reason for price variations, on packages where the full speed data amounts may be the same or similar.

A 64 or 128 kbps bandwidth after you've exceeded your initial allocation can be virtually un-useable. But a 384 or 512 kbps plan at least would enable you to get basic web browsing and email checking done -- without having to top up another package.

Early adopter

Monthly fee 488B., Voice/VDO call 200mins, Total Net 10GB (4G/3G =8GB, 4G =2GB) (stop automatically afterward), AIS SUPER WiFi Unlimited, AIS Cloud+ 100GB, AIS PLAY 4 movies. Exceed: Voice/VDO call 1.5B/min, SMS 3B, MMS 4B, Net 99 B/GB. 12 BillCycles

One thing you have to be careful about when comparing Thai mobile internet packages is they often have varying maximum speeds for bandwidth AFTER you've reached/exceeded the full speed amount of data in the package.

That can range from 64 kbps up to 512 kbps. That can be one reason for price variations, on packages where the full speed data amounts may be the same or similar.

A 64 or 128 kbps bandwidth after you've exceeded your initial allocation can be virtually un-useable. But a 384 or 512 kbps plan at least would enable you to get basic web browsing and email checking done -- without having to top up another package.

You are referring to 'unlimited' packages. Some are just one off data packages, that don't throttle after utilisation, they simply eat into your credit. So you need to choose the right package for you.

Can you describe your usage, very generally speaking? monthly GB of data, voice minutes?

You can add value to your SIM/account/number anywhere.

Then you can subscribe to a monthly recurring mobile data package, using USSD codes.

IMO, there are too many packages, but I guess that's good for the consumer.

For many/most a monthly, recurring (unlimited, with a FuP) package is easiest and simplest. But there are many, many, many other options (daily, weekly, 15 days, low speed, medium speed, full speed, uncapped, capped, social media platform specific, etc.)

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/package-addon-detail.aspx?type=2&id=32

1 GB/199

1.5 GB/229

5 GB/488

I also came across the following offer under the "One Time Add-On Pack" "Super Speed Package" banner which offers 1GB of internet for 150B for 30 days.

I believe this "add-on" package is a sort of booster to an existing plan, on which you might have reached the Fair-Use Cap. It essentially extends your full-speed access for an additional 1 GB.

I have had the same conundrums; allow me to share 'lessons learned', lessons that none of the carrier wants you to know.

Data packages, named add-on, fill up etc. are different between prepaid and post paid. Just compare them on the website of the respective carrier.

The carrier would offer you a better deal if you have a post paid sim, and 'take it or leave it' choice.

Your arm has already been bent, it is just a matter of more pressure.....

The important thing to a carrier is a guaranteed income. A post paid is. A pre-paid, uhhmmm, not...

So they make up for it by increasing the price on pre-paid package add-ons.

I have had the same experience with all the three AIS, DTAC and True and I suspect TOT. Are not far behind.

I don't think this practice is limited to Thailand, It is everywhere, unfair but a common tactic among sharks.

I am in the middle of a sim port from one company to another, and you should see what mess that is...

Perhaps I will post about my experience with this specific arduous task when it is completed.

I am in the middle of a sim port from one company to another, and you should see what mess that is...

Perhaps I will post about my experience with this specific arduous task when it is completed.

Last week I finally successfully MNP'd my number from TrueMove to AIS. It took five attempts (over two weeks) for the stars to align in the proper manner. Three times TrueMove botched it and one time AIS did. And, yes, I had to keep going to the AIS store to sign a new MNP transfer request form.

I think my package is Bt899 for 12Gb valid for a month. It activates automatically when I land in Thailand after I top up with sufficient Baht.

You are paying too much.

Great, I look forward to you suggesting the replacement package I should ask for on my next visit.

Added: In fact I found it at the first time of asking:

Bt888 for 14Gb.

Edited by Chicog

You are paying too much.

Great, I look forward to you suggesting the replacement package I should ask for on my next visit.

Added: In fact I found it at the first time of asking:

Bt888 for 14Gb.

Actually no. Considerably better value than that. Ask me closer to the time. What works now might not work then.

The android app is USELESS as it has very little english, even when set to engligh language option.

You must be using a different one than me. Mine works flawlessly and is in perfect english.

Kurt

My True Sim drops to 2g after the 1gb limit is used for a month but still runs fine apart from streaming obviously and Youtube. Streams Radio 2 from BBC never stops and will play youtube as long as its static display

I pay 200 plus vat. Ideal for me

My True Sim drops to 2g after the 1gb limit is used for a month but still runs fine apart from streaming obviously and Youtube. Streams Radio 2 from BBC never stops and will play youtube as long as its static display

2G or 3G?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

2G or 3G?

128 FUP...For £4 a month got to be one of the best small packages around

Radio and similar audio data streams including voice often stream at 128 Kbps or less, meaning that data rate would be OK for basic audio functions.

But it's not going to support, in any particularly good way, streaming video and any downloads are going to be pretty slow.

Radio and similar audio data streams including voice often stream at 128 Kbps or less, meaning that data rate would be OK for basic audio functions.

But it's not going to support, in any particularly good way, streaming video and any downloads are going to be pretty slow.

Agreed but i for one would never watch youtube or live tv on a smartphone. Thats what laptops are for etc via wifi

For many/most a monthly, recurring (unlimited, with a FuP) package is easiest and simplest. But there are many, many, many other options (daily, weekly, 15 days, low speed, medium speed, full speed, uncapped, capped, social media platform specific, etc.)

http://www.ais.co.th...px?type=2&id=32

1 GB/199

1.5 GB/229

5 GB/488

Good information. What I find most confusing comparing package promotions is whether voice calling is included or separate. Often it is unclear if calls are charged at a per minute rate on top of the package charge or if a certain amount of voice calling time is included in the monthly package price. My AIS 3gb "MaoMao" plan, including wifi is B399/mo. I believe (but not sure) calls are charged separately. Looks like I am paying too much with a similar 3gb plan at B299.

You have remaining internet usage total of 500MB. To enjoy more internet, subscribe 49B. package get internet 2GB for 7days, press *777*490# or 99B. package get internet 5GB for 7days, press *777*489#.