PM Prayut stops plan to cut down 2,000 teak trees as wood for new parliament

webfact

forest conservation and reforestation will go

some way to assist in the issue of global warming.no

effort is too small.

i am just wondering if the problem is to move to another

area. the contractors will need the raw materials for the construction of the

parliament and they have to source from somewhere.

12 Billion Baht for a new Government complex, Wow, I was just dreaming about that sort of money being used to help upgrade the infrastructure of Pattaya, I did say dreaming.

Politicians need to reflect the reverence they are held in by the public, a lesser facility would demean the power of the state and those that work tirelessly to support it.

What did that new NATO headquarters cost again, several billion Euros, all country's bureaucrats are the same.

Someone else must want them. They are in a plantation, grown to cut.

I've become so cynical. Can't help it. Almost always am right, though. Sadly.

If we're talking cynicism, think about what's up and coming in the politics and then about a few trees when apparent hypocrisy won't matter. When was the last time something important to any Governmnent went as scheduled without a glitch?.

Edited by silent

I agree with saving forests etc, but these are plantation trees. A crop for want of a better description. Surely someone's gonna be rather upset they can't harvest.

I am of a similar mind, these are plantation trees planted to be harvested. If it was from a real forest sure. Plantations however are a different thing and if you can't cut them down nobody will start a plantation anymore putting more pressure on the normal forests.

Globally the move is for fast growing plantation trees and leave the forest alone. The ban is for the forest trees and not plantation trees. I think the government has very poor understanding of the regulation. Plantation teak is fast growing and very different from forest teak which takes years to grow. You can get a pretty good 8" girth for plantation teak in just 10-15 years.

Anyway, today news indicates that the teak trees will be cut from other plantation and is 5,000 not 2,000 trees.

As a tropical hardwood teak is relatively fast growing. However plantation or natural forest teak takes at least 20 years to produce good heartwood.

And given the average longevity of Thai Government maybe plastic furniture and fittings would be more appropriate ?biggrin.png