Work Permit Location/Place of Work

I’m interested in finding out about restrictions on where exactly you might be able to work with your work permit.

Obviously it will have the address & details of your employer, but as to where you can operate, an old WP of mine has the heading: “Locality permitted to work (identify location)”, followed by the company address.

My newer WP only has: “Locality permitted to work (province)”, with only the name of the province listed.

If you are employed as part of your job to, say, visit clients and inspect or use equipment, can the WP be issued to cover this? My last WP (seemed) limited to anywhere in the province, but I didn’t have to need to check this, I was in a static location.

Could a WP cover the holder to work nationally as part of their job inspecting equipment?

Your work permit can be issued (or a annotation put in it) that states your job requires you to work in various locations nationwide.

Thanks UJ.

Sorry to sound pedantic on this, but do you know if the WP has to specifically state each individual location nationwide, and add each one to the WP, or can it just say "nationally", for example? This is still working for the same one company, by the way.

The location of your work is dependent on your job title and work description. If you have an office job (for example Business Development Manager) your workplace will be listed as the company address, with additional locations for any other company branches in the province.

If your job title is something that requires work all over Thailand then you can get Thailand as your work location. This sort of job might be for a consultant working for a telephone company where you had to visit mobile phone masts all over the place.

In general the Ministry of Labour won't issue a Thailand wide work permit just to have meetings. I know, I've had our staff try repeatedly and they won't oblige. Their reasoning is that if you have a work permit you can attend meetings outside of your office as part of your job.

I recently had another branch office in Bangkok added to my work permit. It cost 1,100 baht.

• Like 1

The location of your work is dependent on your job title and work description. If you have an office job (for example Business Development Manager) your workplace will be listed as the company address, with additional locations for any other company branches in the province.

If your job title is something that requires work all over Thailand then you can get Thailand as your work location. This sort of job might be for a consultant working for a telephone company where you had to visit mobile phone masts all over the place.

In general the Ministry of Labour won't issue a Thailand wide work permit just to have meetings. I know, I've had our staff try repeatedly and they won't oblige. Their reasoning is that if you have a work permit you can attend meetings outside of your office as part of your job.

I recently had another branch office in Bangkok added to my work permit. It cost 1,100 baht.

Many thanks for your detailed reply. It definitely helps with my ongoing project regarding working in multiple places.

• 2 weeks later...

Still ongoing with my query about work permits and where it entitles you to carry out your job. If you might have occasional work at various nationwide locations that are linked to your job description, is this feasible? I have had some discussion about this point rlsewhere (not on TV).

Say for example, different customers ask you to check and inspect devices for functionality or compatibility of stock/equipment, in various locations nationally.In your opinion Blackcab, could you have “Thailand” added for something like this?

My first point is whether a WP allows the holder to do anything away from their listed company’s address without that being specified on the WP. I have maintained it doesn’t, this seems to be borne out by other members.

Secondly what could reasonably seen as the time frame for work away from the listed premises - a day, a week, a month? Is that important to clarify?

I realise that point two might be seen as too vague, but I’m trying to into tap member’s experience on the matter.