Legally binding condition ?

I went on a bordfer run to Chiang Kong last tuesday 19 th July , my third consecutive one there .

Both previous visas wwere visa exempt stamps and I stayed for the full month and got 1 month visa extensions on both of them

I got flagged on the way back in .

I got questionned .

Imigration asked me when I will be leaving Thailand .

I told them that I would l;eave when my new visa expires .

They told me that I couldnt stay for the whole month and that I would have to leave before it expires .

They demanded that I give them a date of when I would be leaving

So, I just said August 5 th .

They asked me to provide a ticket out the Country showing that I would be leaving on that date .

I didnt have one .

He made me write on my arrival form that I would leave on 5 th August via Vientienne

He also wrote in Thai the same on my departure card .

He then gave me a stamp in my PP until August 17 th .

Is my agreement to leave on August 5 th legally binding ?
I only have two pages left in my PP, so I will have to apply for a new one and this will take a few weeks .

Could they hit me for an overstay fine if I leave after August 5 th ?

Also, could I get a visa extension with what he wrote on my arrival card ?

The only thing legally binding is the date on your entry stamp that shows August 17th.

What was written on the arrival card means nothing since it has been filed away somewhere. They might ask about what is written on your departure card when you apply for the extension.

• Like 1

• Sounds like you were lucky to be let in by an officious IO.
  • You have permission to stay until August 17th and can legally stay until then.
  • If you plan to apply for an extension of stay you should do it a week or so early in case the note written on the departure card prevents the extension, so you have time to organise your exit. The extension will start form the end of the 30 days regardless of how early you apply.

If you post a picture of the note written on the departure card someone will translate it for you.

Edited by elviajero

Sounds like the IÓ was trying to be more than difficult

There is nothing binding, you can leave on the 17th or get a visa extension

To be accurate, he doesn't have a visa, he was given a permission to stay based on a visa exempt entry and it is the permission to stay that might be extended. There are no visa extensions.

Sounds like the IÓ was trying to be more than difficult

There is nothing binding, you can leave on the 17th or get a visa extension

To be accurate, he doesn't have a visa, he was given a permission to stay based on a visa exempt entry and it is the permission to stay that might be extended. There are no visa extensions.

One on every visa thread

I know what I mean, you know what I mean and the OP know's what I mean thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Just an update .

I went to immigration on the last day , 17 th August and got a one month extension, without any queries or remarks.

Just in case it is not obvious to you, it would be unwise to try for another visa exempt entry at Chiang Khong. A tourist visa from Vientiane would be more prudent.