What's Up With Nepal?

stevehaigh

its in general fine for tourists, just use common sense and stay away from political rallies etc.

thanks. i've never been and would be interested in your opinion for an itinerary for a 2 week holiday with a bit of easy trecking. my wife (thai) isn't edmund hillary!

thx steve

its in general fine for tourists, just use common sense and stay away from political rallies etc.

thanks. i've never been and would be interested in your opinion for an itinerary for a 2 week holiday with a bit of easy trecking. my wife (thai) isn't edmund hillary!

thx steve

OK, well bear in mind that even some of the smaller treks can be very hard work for inexperienced trekkers. The best thing to do is to go on a mini trek for a day or two and then see how you handle that, and perhaps do something a bit more adventurous after you've got a feel for it. But the really big treks are longer than the 2 weeks you've got anyway.

You could of course just do a few mini treks and spend the rest of your time chilling in the very relaxed and easy-going Pokhara, and tick off the main sights in Kathmandu. I wouldn't spend too long in Kathmandu, though, as it hasn't got a huge amount going for it in my opinion, other than the major temples and so-on which you can see in a day or two.

Chitwan national park is supposedly very nice, although I didn't go there, but the highlight of my trip to Nepal was white water rafting - if you're a bit of a thrill seeker then a 3 day rafting trip is an amazing experience. If you're going to Pokhara, better to arrange your treks and everything from there as it will be cheaper than doing it from Kathmandu.

Be prepared to get bored of the local food very quickly as Nepali cuisine consists of one dish - daal baht! Spicy lentil soup, vegetable curry, rice and maybe a couple of other side dishes. Quite tasty, and pretty healthy, but gets very tedious after you've had it for lunch and dinner for the 10th time in 5 days. Fortunately, in Kathamndu and Pokhara, there is some excellent western and other Asian food to be found.

One final thing to bear in mind is that it will be absolutely freezing high up in the mountains at this time of year; well unless you left tomorrow that is, but certainly during December and January. Not really an issue if you don't go more than a few hundred meters up though.

Nepal is beautiful, I love it.

Good article/thread on taking a short trek in Nepal here

Ok, seems the link doesn't work because TV doesn't want us linking to another forum. It's a great thread about a guy who popped over there with his Thai wife/gf for a couple of weeks.

Silly rules if we can't direct members to other sources of useful information on the internet. :o

Edited by bkkmadness

Nepal is beautiful, I love it.

Good article/thread on taking a short trek in Nepal here

Ok, seems the link doesn't work because TV doesn't want us linking to another forum. It's a great thread about a guy who popped over there with his Thai wife/gf for a couple of weeks.

Silly rules if we can't direct members to other sources of useful information on the internet. :o

yahoo.com is used to replace any other forum web address. If it's a direct rival site then there's probably no hope of getting the correct link in here. Otherwise, just write it with spaces between each letter, or something.