Marriage Visa Confusion - Advice Required

Hi Guys can you please help me,

Ok I am a little confused as to which Non "O" based on marriage to apply for. I have funds in Siam commercial so this requirement is not an issue.

We are very recently married and have a 3 month baby boy (I am on my boys Thai Birth Certificate as the father) I am under 50 years of age, at least for a few more years ;)

Is it best and what would the benefits be in getting the "Single" entry visa based on marriage then extending in Thailand. Or getting the multiple entry version of the same visa. I understand, but correct me if I am wrong, with a single entry you get 90 days max duration stay and multi entry if used correctly can get up to 15 months stay.

Is it best to get the multi entry version of this visa as it is more difficult to gain an extension within Thailand itself? If you do obtain a multi entry Non "O" based on marriage visa can it be extended annually or you basically apply for a new visa when expired?

On another note I have a planned trip to Phnom Penh late August (I have experienced problems previously in Phnom Penh obtaining Tourist Visa) so I see on their web site they do offer Non "O" visas single & multi entry based on marriage, so I may as well attempt to obtain one while there. If refused I will then go to Suvanaket as I see it is much more visa friendly there.

One of Phnom Penhs requirements on their web site is a letter from your Thai Spouse/Wife.. what would she be required to write in this letter as it does not state what content is required on their web site?

Any advice would be much appreciated as now my life is based full time with my new family in Thailand.

Thank you.

Normally all that is required is a signed/dated letter from spouse asking that visa be issued so that you can be together. Just helps confirm continued relationship in place. They might want her ID as well. Info on baby would also be a plus. As well as proof of financials.

Normal to obtain single entry non immigrant O visa and then after being here 60 days start one year extensions of stay from immigration. No border crossings required as you can continually stay as long as financials are met each year.

Multi entry fits those that often do travel (overseas workers) and those unable to provide financials (and some that just like a family vacation every 90 days). But probably not best for you with baby if you have the financials.

Edited by lopburi3

Not sure about the single entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Phnom Penh. Not many reports about getting one there. I am certain you will not get a multiple entry non-o visa there.

If you have the 400k baht in a Thai bank the one year extension of stay based upon marriage is the best option. No need to leave the country every 90 days that is required if you have a multiple entry non-o visa.

Agree, if your aim is to hang out here with the family, same as me (I'm also a few years shy of 50), do the single entry and get on the annual extension program. When you want to travel, just get a re-entry permit to keep the extension alive, and off you go. Good luck.

Thanks for the sound advice guys it helps a lot. I will update how I get on in Phnom Penh as far as visas go but I am not confident. As I already have a planned trip I will give it a go and failing that will head to Laos.

Once I have the single entry and plan to add the extension.. is it best to use an agent (I am based in Pattaya) or is it a straight forward process doing it yourself.

If using an agent what are the approximate fee's to expect and cost of extension if doing myself?

Once again thanks guys.

Thanks for the sound advice guys it helps a lot. I will update how I get on in Phnom Penh as far as visas go but I am not confident. As I already have a planned trip I will give it a go and failing that will head to Laos.

Once I have the single entry and plan to add the extension.. is it best to use an agent (I am based in Pattaya) or is it a straight forward process doing it yourself.

If using an agent what are the approximate fee's to expect and cost of extension if doing myself?

Once again thanks guys.

Be sure you take your original marriage certificate with you in case they want to see it at the embassy. Also signed copies if your wife's house book registry and ID card.

You should not need an agent to apply for the extension. It is just a matter of having all the required documents with you. Your wife needs to be with you to complete a statement. The fee for the extension is 1900 baht.

I would not use an agent as you do not know what you are getting - it is straight forward to do yourself and if a legal agent about all they can do is help you fill in the one sheet TM-7 application anyhow - you need to meet the conditions and do the actual process. Cost for one year extension is same any any extension - 1,900 baht. You will have added expense for bank letter of account balance and if you do not have home copier a few baht for copies. Current photo is about the only other thing needed. When it gets toward that time ask for requirements for the office you will be using.