Best Currency Exchange

marc11864

I arrive in Thailand late in the evening and will be staying with a friend so not immediately pressed for cash.

I do not use any plastic at this time, only cash. How do achieve the best conversion for myself dollar for baht? Is it best to go to a Thai bank on Friday to exchange my currency? What are the usual banking hours? Is it best to exchange a large amount of currency ($50 - $100 or more) for the best rate?

Thanks

Location? Bangkok?

If so,

Vasu Sukhumvit Soi 7/1, corner of Sukhumvit Road across from Subway/Coffee World

Superrich Off Ratchadamri Road. I lost their card, but if you walk up Ratchadamri Road on the right side (opposite World Trade Center/Zen Central/Isetan, a giant shooping mall currently under refurbishment) from Rama I, go past Big C, and a small soi or 2, you should see a big sign for a seafood restaurant on the corner of the first major soi, take a right and Supperrich is 100 meters down on the left. (This is before you cross over the Khlong San Saeb waterway or get to Petchaburi Road.)

$100 bills generally yield the best rate. Ideally get bills date 1999 or later.

Dunno if you are aware, but cash is typically the worst exchange rate. Under ideal circumstances, you tend to get the best exchange rate from ATM*, then travelers cheques**, then $100 bills, then smaller bills.

*some banks have a surcharge

**some banks have a surcharge to buy travelers cheques and now there is a new 150 baht fee to use them in Thailand

So it depends on the denomination and surcharges. I use a no fee ATM card and believe that's the optimal way to go not only for the best exchange rate, but also it's more convenient in every way.