I've been down this road before.....Advice Please! Thanks.

puukao

3 hours ago, puukao said:

You are probably right.  The agency hasn't emailed me back after I told them I couldn't fly there immediately.  The government school sent me an email saying they really want to hire me, but it would also begin this week.  They also wanted a demo class, which is fine; however, I wasn't going to fly there immediately solely on that lead.  

So the next question.......August I can stay in work in USA no problem.  I think the new school semester or term begins around Halloween.  I would like to spend a few weeks in CM, preferable mid to late-October.

Thoughts on when I should arrive in Thailand??  The earliest would be around September 2nd.  

Thanks in advance......

Some schools have a short October break to catch up with all the holidays, boy scout/ army camp. etc..bs. Some schools start their second term in October, some are the whole October closed.

If you fly to Thailand on the 2nd, it will still leave you some time to meet some friends. You shouldn't be worried about your visa, because the school that hires you will have to issue all the docs to send you to Laos to apply for a Non-B.

You wrote that you'd like to work in CM, why don't you try places like Pitsanulok, there's an Anuban with an EP, a private college and some other government schools.

You'll need a job first, once you've got all the paperwork you're good to go to Laos, when staying in the northern part Vientiane seems to be the best option. 

I wouldn't wait a few weeks and look for a job in the last minute, try to find one soon after arriving in Thailand. Think about a 12 months contract, all holidays paid, no seminars or English camps in April to receive your salary and other disturbing things.

I don't know how well you know Thailand, but if I were you, I'd look into jobs at schools close to the ocean. Prachuap Khiri Khan is a nice place and I haven't heard negative things about the area before.

"Bangsaphan Noi and Bangsaphan Jay" belong to Prachuap K. K province, worth to have a look at. There's a private school seeking  a teacher at ajarn.com 

http://www.ajarn.com/recruitment/browse_jobs/Thailand/117797.html?popup=1 The school's near Hua Hin, pay is 33 K, but that's just an example. 

20 hours a' 50 minutes is doable, but I wouldn't like to teach 20 full hour periods a week. You could be lucky and find a job at the first school going there in person, but it's also possible that you really have to do some good legwork.

Best of luck finding what you're looking for.- 

This is good advice.   I will likely have a ticket booked within a week, and go from there.  I've never been a huge fan of areas south of BKK because it felt more for tourists and less for people trying to learn the Thai language.  I also like to ride my bicycle up mountains, or at least have that option.  But I will apply to them all......

will keep you posted

Archived